PDA

View Full Version : Shock Help!

HondaRacing83
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a set of Pep ZPS front shocks, i put them on, rode them around the field for like 10min and it rides good. But the thing is, I lost oodles of suspension travel putting these on. Like they are so soft or something, almost looks like my quads starting to become a flat tracker and that doesnt work well with me being a woods rider. Also there is a thump in one of the shocks I can feel when the suspension compresses. I asked the guy I bought it off of and he said they are just a little noisy and to spay wd 40 on them. I did and it didnt help one bit. You can feel the thump as it compresses only in the one shock. I think I found a way to fix the ride heifht with the preload adj, but i need to fix the one part of the shock thats thumps. I'm going to be riding all friday saturday and monday so i need a quick solution, thanks guys!

powerbomb400
04-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Look and see if the top or bottom bearing or bushing is worn. Maybe its popping up or down is making the sound.

Stickman400
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry to tell ya but it's prolly a seal going bad or a bad disk inside the shock body. You're gunna have to send them in and get them serviced. It shouldn't hurt them riding it like that though as long as you're not bottoming them out repeatedly.

EDIT: Be sure to check the external of the shock body like powerbomb said. Could be something simple.

Drfat400ex
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
While we're on the topic how do you adjust the ride height on YFZ shocks? My right one isn't as high as the left lol.

HondaRacing83
04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I fixed the ride height. Made the shock a lot stiffer, I knew the seals were weak. Didn't know they were that bad. Thanks guys. Within the next month I'll have them rebuilt.

Rohr397
04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I think that article I posted up mentioned something on ride height. Do your fronts click when the compress? Both my front shocks click when I get onto the quad and it's coming from the tiny black springs at the top of the shock. I don't know anyone with ZPS shocks so I can't compare.

beastlywarrior
04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
I fixed the ride height. Made the shock a lot stiffer, I knew the seals were weak. Didn't know they were that bad. Thanks guys. Within the next month I'll have them rebuilt.
we can rebuild them and put on stiffer springs

D3structive
04-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I didn't read responses but it sounds like you have air in your shock

Nac's22
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
I have a set of Pep ZPS front shocks, i put them on, rode them around the field for like 10min and it rides good. But the thing is, I lost oodles of suspension travel putting these on. Like they are so soft or something, almost looks like my quads starting to become a flat tracker and that doesnt work well with me being a woods rider. Also there is a thump in one of the shocks I can feel when the suspension compresses. I asked the guy I bought it off of and he said they are just a little noisy and to spay wd 40 on them. I did and it didnt help one bit. You can feel the thump as it compresses only in the one shock. I think I found a way to fix the ride heifht with the preload adj, but i need to fix the one part of the shock thats thumps. I'm going to be riding all friday saturday and monday so i need a quick solution, thanks guys!

To adjust the ride height on a ZPS shock, you have to compress the ride height spring. Its the very thin spring on the top of 3 colored springs. Get the front end off the ground, and push down on the ring on the top of the shock. This should expose a clip that sits in the grooves on the body of the shock. Simply take that clip and move it down to raise the ride height. Make sure you do each shock equal and thats it. It shouldn't really effect the stiffness too much because it is a ZPS (Zero Preload System). I can speak from experience that PEPs are a very noisey shock, I have no idea why but they just are. I personally wouldn't spray anything on them because it will attract dirt and dust and can cause the seals to wear out quicker. Not really sure on the thump, so I'm going to go with the rest and say that you possibly need a rebuild. Good luck and have fun with them.