PDA

View Full Version : installing a tether switch

hondatrx450er
04-04-2012, 03:36 PM
so i have a 08 hondatrx450er and a pro design tether switch i bought...

just two wires, i hooked up one wire to a ground (headlight bracket) other was told to put on the coil, but i havent got a clue where to attach it to my coil.... i did try the small 8mm bolt but it didnt work, and ive also had the quad running and used my test light to see where there is power and i cant find anything on it hahahaha.....

can anyone help me ??...... im totally lost....

Langbolt
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM
This will help

:devil:

hondatrx450er
04-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Ya I have a hard time reading those diagrams...

Is there a way to see if my tether is any good at all bought it used so maybe he sold me a screwed tether......

When I attached it toi my coil it didn't work lol, not sure what's happening

Langbolt
04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I've heard that grounding the ignition coil wire on a 450R is bad for the CDI

Trace where the on/off for the stop switch is and use those wires.

Did you remove the handle bar switches ?

To test your tether it will have continuity when the tether chord is removed.....it breaks the circuit when it's inserted

:devil:

hondatrx450er
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
No stock switch is still there....

Can I still keep the stock one and be able to use it if I piggy back the on and off switch wires ??

hondatrx450er
04-04-2012, 05:17 PM
and it doesn't matter which way it gets hooked up does it ???

Short wire is grounded on headlight bracket ... Long wire is hanging on side of quad till I figure this out

hondatrx450er
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
I still wanna be able to use my stock key and stuff just want tether as a back up if I get tossed off the machine playn around :)

quad71
04-05-2012, 12:24 AM
1 wire to frame other to the black wire with white stripe in the key switch wires.

ws450r
04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by hondatrx450er
so i have a 08 hondatrx450er and a pro design tether switch i bought...

just two wires, i hooked up one wire to a ground (headlight bracket) other was told to put on the coil, but i havent got a clue where to attach it to my coil.... i did try the small 8mm bolt but it didnt work, and ive also had the quad running and used my test light to see where there is power and i cant find anything on it hahahaha.....

can anyone help me ??...... im totally lost....

Wrap it around the part of the coil that the bolt goes through.

hondatrx450er
04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by ws450r
Wrap it around the part of the coil that the bolt goes through.

well the side i did is the side that has the 3 wires or so attached to it, the other side with a 8mm bolt doesnt have any wires on it at all....

hondatrx450er
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
i also bought a multimetre but dont know how to use it to check to see if my tether is any good at all...

ws450r
04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
well the side i did is the side that has the 3 wires or so attached to it, the other side with a 8mm bolt doesnt have any wires on it at all....

If I remember correctly, you don't have to have it hooked up to any wires on the coil, it just needs to be in contact with it. Scrape some paint off of part of the frame up under the hood, and bolt the other wire to it. Make sure you get through all the paint and are on the frame. You will still be able to use your stock switches.

And after looking at a parts fiche (sp?), I had my kill switch wires wrapped around the front part of the coil.

ws450r
04-05-2012, 02:03 PM
i also bought a multimetre but dont know how to use it to check to see if my tether is any good at all...

With everything I'm telling you, I'm assuming it's still good. I have no idea how to tell you if it's bad or not.

hondatrx450er
04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
one wire is on the headlight bracket i checked with my test light and battery to see if it a good ground and it a good ground.....

so then the other wire just has to go on any side of the coil or ?? ya kind ahave me confused lol ...

i have a good working ground where should the other wire go to ?

ws450r
04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
one wire is on the headlight bracket i checked with my test light and battery to see if it a good ground and it a good ground.....

so then the other wire just has to go on any side of the coil or ?? ya kind ahave me confused lol ...

i have a good working ground where should the other wire go to ?

Sorry, guess I forgot that part. Take the 8mm bolt out of the front the coil, and wrap the kill switch wire around it, the coil, not the bolt.

Front part of #3 in the picture, just wrap it around. Might have to take the coil off to do this.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-honda-trx450er-electric-start/o/m150887#sch612566

quad71
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
1 wire to the frame other to the black wire with white stripe in the key switch wires its just that easy.

quad71
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Kill switch hookup per Tyler Moore:

One wire to ground and one wire to the black wire with white strip in the key switch harness.

DnB_racing
04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Langbolt
I've heard that grounding the ignition coil wire on a 450R is bad for the CDI

Trace where the on/off for the stop switch is and use those wires.

:devil: yes your absolutely right, its not best to ground the coil wire, for many reasons

for one, any splice or additional wire will cause more voltage drop,
or a splice will be a spot of possible heat or corrosion

the +06 alternator high side only generates around 45-55 volts, and the cdi bumps up that voltage to around 100 volts to the coil, then the coil take that full voltage and transforms it way up to up to as much as 50 to 60,000 volts,

by lowering the full voltage into your coil by say 10% ( which any additional splice or wire would cause)you then also lower your coil output to the plug by 10% meaning as much as 5000 to 6000 volts from your spark, not what I would suggest doing

I always recomend using the designated 12volt kill wire over the high voltage carrying coil wire

hondatrx450er
04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Sorry, guess I forgot that part. Take the 8mm bolt out of the front the coil, and wrap the kill switch wire around it, the coil, not the bolt.

Front part of #3 in the picture, just wrap it around. Might have to take the coil off to do this.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2009-honda-trx450er-electric-start/o/m150887#sch612566

well i have a eyelet connector on it, i can just put the bolt through it and put it on, but does it really matter what side of the coil you put the wire on ?

ws450r
04-05-2012, 05:46 PM
well i have a eyelet connector on it, i can just put the bolt through it and put it on, but does it really matter what side of the coil you put the wire on ?

Not sure, I always put mine on the front of the coil.

hondatrx450er
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Not sure, I always put mine on the front of the coil.

Hmmm, I'll have to try that 2morrow.... I'll post back on what I come up with...

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Well I tried the front side of the coil and didn't do anything for it.....

So I'm thinking either my tether is screwed, or I'll have to splice the wires in the kill switch wires, but don't know what wires are what in that harness area mine is a 2008 ....

How do I test with a multimeter ? I bought one yesterday but don't know how or to what setting to check it with... this is the meter I bought...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by quad71
Kill switch hookup per Tyler Moore:

One wire to ground and one wire to the black wire with white strip in the key switch harness.

That wire is the one that plugs into the CDI box on left side when sittin on the seat correct ??

quad71
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
I have 09 this is how i did it. Follow the key switch wires down about 4 inches find the black w/white stripe and use one of those connectors that clamps on with out cutting wire just the insulation. Tap Splice Connector size 22-18 AWG.

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I have 09 this is how i did it. Follow the key switch wires down about 4 inches find the black w/white stripe and use one of those connectors that clamps on with out cutting wire just the insulation.

Ok so I had a friend help me check with multimeter so the tether came back reading .5 ohms... Ya I also have those self stripping tap connectors which is easy to clip on... I'll have a peek at the black wire with white strip in a couple mins

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I have 09 this is how i did it. Follow the key switch wires down about 4 inches find the black w/white stripe and use one of those connectors that clamps on with out cutting wire just the insulation. Tap Splice Connector size 22-18 AWG.

Mint had my ground mixed up I figured as well after doing test with multimeter.... Hooked it up into the black wire with white stripe and work totally fiine :) sweet deal thanks guys !!!

quad71
04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Your welcome Fist Bump.

DnB_racing
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I have 09 this is how i did it. Follow the key switch wires down about 4 inches find the black w/white stripe and use one of those connectors that clamps on with out cutting wire just the insulation. Tap Splice Connector size 22-18 AWG. im not trying to put this method down but... those vampire connectors are very prone to failure..

your better off just hard wiring it.. just think of whats taking place with them

the tap splice ruins the insulation anyways, along with usually cutting some of the strands, and isn't a water proof connection, which WILL cause oxidation and corrosion and eventually a bad connection, then add vibration,and its a sure issue

like i said it ruins the wire anyways your better off just taking the time and doing it right, you might get lucky and not have a problem, but its not worth it im my mind, those connectors are really for those who are just doing a quick splice, and plan on fixing it after.

not to mention they look very hacked, and stand out like a sore thumb

think of it this way, if they were the best way to do it then it would have came that way from the factory,

the best connections in any harness have no weak links, or contact with the enviorment and elements at all, this is just a potential problem spot,

I would rather not chance a dnf or getting stranded

but its your quad do what you think is the best:)

quad71
04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Ok also seal it up with super glue.

DnB_racing
04-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok also seal it up with super glue. LOL!!!!

just do a waterproof permanent splice and never worry about it again..

but like i said Im just pointing out the inevitable result, the tap splice guaranteed will over some period of time fail,

but a waterproof permanent crimp or solder joint with sealant encased heat shrink will last as long as the wire itself.

do it right once, its far cheaper and easier to not have to ever do it again

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I've always used them type of crimps and never had any issues, electrical tape around and heat shrink everything together closed and were good to go ;)

DnB_racing
04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I've always used them type of crimps and never had any issues, electrical tape around and heat shrink everything together closed and were good to go ;) its your quad

im a perfectionist I personally would never use a vampire connector,
just because it looks hacked, and causes more resistance, which means heat, and more breaking down of the compounds of the wire and insulation, which in turn causes even more resistance and heat and so on and so on

after time and vibration it will cut the wire, but good to hear you haven't had a problem yet:rolleyes:

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
its your quad

im a perfectionist I personally would never use a vampire connector,
just because it looks hacked, and causes more resistance, which means heat, and more breaking down of the compounds of the wire and insulation, which in turn causes even more resistance and heat and so on and so on

after time and vibration it will cut the wire, but good to hear you haven't had a problem yet:rolleyes:

First time using them on my quad but anything else I've used em on they've worked fawlessly for me hence why I used it...

DnB_racing
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
First time using them on my quad but anything else I've used em on they've worked fawlessly for me hence why I used it... your statement should say I haven't had a problem YET

use what you want... im just pointing there very obvious flaws for some that arnt sure of what they want to use,

if you like them then use them, not trying to start an argument,

seriously look at what they are doing and its more then obvious its not the best application for a moving off road vehicle, with the water dirt and vibration, add the catalyst: electric current, and the result is always electrolysis and oxidation

like I said its your quad, good luck and I hope they work flawlessly for you this time, I dont like risking this type of thing, my quad running to its potential is too important to me :)

hondatrx450er
04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
your statement should say I haven't had a problem YET

use what you want... im just pointing there very obvious flaws for some that arnt sure of what they want to use,

if you like them then use them, not trying to start an argument,

seriously look at what they are doing and its more then obvious its not the best application for a moving off road vehicle, with the water dirt and vibration, add the catalyst: electric current, and the result is always electrolysis and oxidation

like I said its your quad, good luck and I hope they work flawlessly for you this time, I dont like risking this type of thing, my quad running to its potential is too important to me :)

Naw its cool voice ur opinion and experince man no worries :D funny ya say offroad vehicles tho, lol when I use to have to add stuff like electric fans and such in my offroad rigs and these are what I've used, had em fully submerged as covered in mud and crap.... But ya I haven't had any trouble when using these over the last few years at least and have had good luck with em :)