PDA

View Full Version : Bearing replacement on Lonestar twin row bearing carrier

Blown 331
04-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm replacing the axle bearings on my 400ex and it has an LSR twin row bearing carrier. Anyone know if I can just put 2 bearings on each side? It looks like they will fit but I'm just concerned that the center races of each bearing might not make contact with each other. Please only reply if you know for sure, no guessing. Thanks.

powerbomb400
04-04-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a Armor Tech carrier. Its got 2 ball and cage bearings on each side. What I like about it is if one bearing goes bad then the other bearing will keep the axle from damaging the carrier. Once you get the bearings out when I install I put the new bearings in the freezer and leave them overnight. The next day I put the billet housing in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degree's. Get it out of the oven and get the bearing and they will fall right in.

Stickman400
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
It says in the instructions that it comes with to only use LSR bearings. But I haven't changed them yet so I can't say if it would work or not. Sounds like it might work though.

powerbomb400
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Measure the width of the roller bearing then measure the ball bearing and see if two equal one.

CJM
04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Just buy the right bearings.

FYI: bearings for a 99 chevy pick up 2500 5.7 V8 for the a/c compressor are the same exact bearings and only like 20/ea. Seals might be a wee bit hard to get, but any competent parts store should be able to get them or a machine type shop.

Also Ive used www.bossbearing.com before with good success, they sell the twin row bearings, seals and all for about 40 iirc. If not I know rad has the stuff as well.

Blown 331
04-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Just buy the right bearings.

FYI: bearings for a 99 chevy pick up 2500 5.7 V8 for the a/c compressor are the same exact bearings and only like 20/ea. Seals might be a wee bit hard to get, but any competent parts store should be able to get them or a machine type shop.

Also Ive used www.bossbearing.com before with good success, they sell the twin row bearings, seals and all for about 40 iirc. If not I know rad has the stuff as well.

I ended up buying the correct bearings from boss bearing on ebay for like $31 shipped. I already have the stock bearings but I think I can use them in my 250R or 350X if needed. Thanks everyone.