PDA

View Full Version : Tire Mounting

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know how to mount ATV tires to the rims at home? For some reason everyone around here is charging $100+ to do it. I don't have tire irons.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 05:57 PM
What rims do you have?

I have done it before. Just standard rims is pretty easy, just frustrating your first time doing it.

Then once you get the tire on, take a rachet strap around the middle of the tire all the way around it, and compress the tire as much as possible.

Then air up the air compessor as much as it will go and just fill them with air until the bead pops into place.

However if they are Beadlocks, its easier.

But if they are Hiper beadlocks, then $100 is about the same price my buddy paid to have his put on.

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 05:59 PM
They're just standard rims, idk how to even get the tire ON the rim. It's definitely frustrating. I can't find a guide or video tutorial on it that's complete. It's just videos of people doing stupid crap using rebar and starter fluid.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Getting the tire on can go good, or bad.

Wal mart is usually $5 a tire, and its well worth the $20.

I cant really explain through typing how to do it. I would make a video but i dont have any spares laying around.

CJM
04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Your gonna need tire irons of some kind of some large flathead screwdrivers.

If you already have the old tires off then take some soapy water and put it all along the bead of the tire. Then take the tire and force it on the wheel, turning it if possible as you go. Finish it off by using whatever tools you got.

Then do the same to the other end of the tire.

Then get some starting fluid and a newspaper. Spray a bit inside the tire and light the paper on fire and touch it to the fluid. BOOM you popped the bead on.

This might help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJs7Vizv9ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlePZIlRG4c&feature=related

dxcody
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
This one is about the same way i do it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgoRelvwBUI

jkosakowski
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
you can always try this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X76b6k-mYoQ :D

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Alright :/ believe it or not, no Walmart nearby! There's a mini Walmart that doesn't do that sort of stuff but that's it. Super sketchy anyways, people get shot there all the time -_____________-

jkosakowski
04-03-2012, 06:19 PM
^ LOL

Drfat400ex
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Take it into the auto shop at your school and do it there on the tire machine for free!!

quadracer556
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
lol @ $100. i take mine to a local chain (kost tire), they charge me nothing and tell me to just "hook-up" the guy that does it so i usually give him like 10-15 for 2 tires.i'd start calling local garages and see who has a tire press and will do it all.for mounting please dont use the the starting fluid method with no experience.that little boom can turn into a big boom very quickly.ratchet straps are much safer for mounting,a little more time consuming but the best route for beginner/novices.we have a 20lb slam hammer and still have a hard time breaking those beads and usually end up denting the rim pretty good so not sure what to tell you there.for breaking the bead ive heard of spraying soapy water into the valve stem,shaking it up good then using a pressure treated 2x8 or 2x10 and driving a vehicle up onto it but have never done it successfully.good luck.

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
Take it into the auto shop at your school and do it there on the tire machine for free!!

None of the schools around here have an automotive shop :grr: Every elective worth taking is gone due to budget cuts. Plus I got out of high school early to go to community college and they don't offer an automotive program :grr:x2

Drfat400ex
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
None of the schools around here have an automotive shop :grr: Every elective worth taking is gone due to budget cuts. Plus I got out of high school early to go to community college and they don't offer an automotive program :grr:x2
Man and I thought my school sucked... Drive up to Ontario and use my tire machine!!

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
A $100 is prity steep but i've ruided enough rims trying to change them that i learned to just pay for a pro to do it with the right tools. You should beable to find some shop that will do it for $40 or so.

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
A $100 is prity steep but i've ruided enough rims trying to change them that i learned to just pay for a pro to do it with the right tools. You should beable to find some shop that will do it for $40 or so.

That's what I thought but I checked around and they all charge $25 a tire.

05DodgeDakota
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Yea I called all the atv shops, each gave price between 20-30 a tire! Buddy told me walmart did it for him for $5 a tire, but when I called they said they can't. Called tire kingdom, no luck. Called Sears AutoCenter and they said yes, $8 a tire. Going friday to get them to put on my brand new Dunlop KT355A that I got for $50 for both!

hondaREX
04-04-2012, 03:22 AM
I put the wheel on a sheet of plywood and drive a car or truck over just the tire and try to drive around the rim to peel it off. Very affective. I have an ATV tire bead breaker, useless. Very flimsy, i need to weld some angle iron on it to stiffen it up. Then getting them on is easy for one side then the last side i get the bead set into the middle of the rim and 2 screwdrivers or tire irons and some finesse and its on. I usually squat or kneel on the side that is started on the rim and follow the progress with the tire irons. As for setting the bead, my favorite is the starter fluid, i just spray it in the tire then set the stream of starter fluid on fire and direct it toward the opening and boom, its on. Great out on the trail when a tire comes off the bead. A little safer, using a ratchet strap, i remove the valve stem core then using JUST my air coupler, i blast high pressure, un-restricted air flow in the tire and it sets the bead. Replace the core and set the pressure. Hope these help.

TacicalRedneck
04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
What rims do you have?

I have done it before. Just standard rims is pretty easy, just frustrating your first time doing it.

Then once you get the tire on, take a rachet strap around the middle of the tire all the way around it, and compress the tire as much as possible.

Then air up the air compessor as much as it will go and just fill them with air until the bead pops into place.

However if they are Beadlocks, its easier.

But if they are Hiper beadlocks, then $100 is about the same price my buddy paid to have his put on.

Yeah... Hipers are a pain... ;) But it takes me forever and a day to break down non beadlock rims... Just drive up on the best looking peice of wood i can find and rotate the rim occasionally.. Really to get them off you may as well cut them off.
(fyi, get my 2 beadlocks put on , tires taken off of another quad for $10) 2 front non beadlock rims $6 apeice..