PDA

View Full Version : calling older guys who ride/race with family/kids...

quadrcr161
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Just wondering how you guys get things done. I have a 2 yr old and I've been trying to build a 400ex project for 2yrs now. Between work, my son and helping my parents it seems like I can never get any time in the shop (or free time) unless its midnight. Any tricks you guys can share since I need to finish one project and start on my 450.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I surround myself with people that know how to turn a wrench, since I do not. ;)

It's tough when the kids are little and you are helping the parents. It does get easier when you can give them a $20 bill and send them off to the mall or the movies.

You do need to look at the calander occasionally and mark a day for you and not feel guilty about it.

wilkin250r
04-03-2012, 07:44 PM
While family is obviously very important, and you want to be there for them, that door should swing both ways. Your family should also be there for YOU.

I can understand if my wife wants a "Date Night", and I'm more than willing to oblige. But in much the same way, my wife needs to understand that I want a "Garage Day". A lot of women don't see them as the same issue, because a "date night" is the two of you, while a garage day is you alone. But I have needed to make her understand that my priorities and desires are just as valid as hers.

I'm more than willing to go to the ends of the earth for my family, but I'm not going to let them monopolize all of my free time. I'm not a slave. I'm there if they need me, but I'm not willing to give up myself and my priorities just because it's convenient for them.

Longdong
04-03-2012, 07:46 PM
My wife help out alot. After the races she cleans the gear, quads, trailer and truck. It makes it nice when i get home on a monday evening and can start wrenching on a clean quad.

Tommy Warren
04-03-2012, 08:25 PM
I get my 2 year old nephew to hand me wrenches and parts....they are never the right ones but I'm getting him interested. but he hit my bumper with a hammer and chipped my powdercoat :grr: thats the only time I ever punched a baby:blah:

quadrcr161
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Yes my family is very important and a lot of stuff has happened in the last few years (moving, house fire, dad had a stroke, not knowing a lot of people here, my house, work and now my son) which has put a lot on me. They have always help me racing ESP my parents who took me to my 1st national in 1992, so riding racing has always been an important part of my life and going from 10 acres with my own small mx track to 1 hasn't helped because I used riding as a stress relief.

My son loves the shop, I loose more lug nuts in there because he is always unscrewing them but its hard to work while watching him. He usually picks a huevos DVD to watch in the evenings and loves anything with wheels so I'm sure it will get easier as he gets older.

Honestly, I think old Guy has hit it, I do felt guilty if I go do something because I'm thinking of everything I need to be doing, and not just in the shop but to the house, and my other things on the "to do list",

slightlybent47
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
There will always be something that needs to be done. Sometimes you just have to let things go and have some fun.

Pappy
04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
My wife would prefer us boys stay in the garage and out of the house LOL!

HondaRacing83
04-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Same with my mom pappy^

powerbomb400
04-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm lucky my wife loves to ride too. She knows if I don't do the maintance she could be left at home or broke down on the side of the trail.

edwardsp&b
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Ben, my 11 year old is racing 3 classes at Nats this year. We are not rich, so I do all the building, welding, maintaining myself. (With Bens help) I also have 3 other kids, and coach Tball with my little ones. To really answer your question I can only tell you how I get it done.

Long, long, late hours in the shop. Usually I get home around 5 to 5:30, eat with the fam, then help give babies a bath, I usually hit my shop around 9 or so, work till 11 or a little later, and do it again. I try to let my kids hang out and help in the shop, but it usually results in lost sockets, wrenches, etc... I cant tell you how hard it is to keep 10mm, 12mm sockets and wrenches around when small kids are in there with me.

That only happens on the days we dont have ball practice. Im getting it all done, but my grass needs to be cut. I dont even want to think about having to get out there and do all the yard work. But, Ill just keep on chugging....
Bryan

Matt150
04-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Late nights after everone has gone to sleep. Turn on some music and work try to preplan and have parts ready. With three boys two being twins its a struggle but now that they are 8 its getting easier. Get your kids involved its time that can't be replaced and they will learn alot.

quadrcr161
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Good points I plan on trying the late nights on the weekends when I don't have to get up for work the next morning. I think one this is I have too many projects going

MX MaNiAc 06
04-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Geez idk how you guys do it. I work a lot of overtime and have a girlfriend. No kids or anything and haven't made it out to the shop to wash my bike, change the oil and clean the filter in 3 weeks!