PDA

View Full Version : Best filter/snorkel setup for creek riding

Stickman400
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok, I am basically wanting to turn my 400 into a 4x4. Well not literally, but I want to be able to hit deep water holes and not have the engine bog out and almost die. I'm wondering what would be the best way to keep water from getting in the engine. I'm thinking an Outerwear on any kind of filter would be best since it repels water, then obviously leave the stock lid on. But I'm unsure what to do with the snorkel setup. I put some pantyhose over it a few months ago and I went riding in a creek this last weekend and the first water hole I hit at high speed instantly bogged it out. I'm thinking of trying to rig up some kind of baffle in the end of the snorkel to break the water up as it enters so it won't go straight into the box. Idk, anybody have any thoughts or ideas?

CJM
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Remove snorkel, plug with a spray paint can lid. Use outerwears for the lid.

Id also make sure you dont hit the water at high speed. High speed flushes the water up VIOLENTLY and will funnel it higher into the air than say if you cruised thru the water slowly.

I never get water in the box and I always go slowly thru water.

Otherwise-remove the airbox and run some pvc with a filter on the top like a giant snorkel? :p

Stickman400
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
That's what I was planning on doing, but if I got in water that was over the airbox (which I do sometimes) then the quad would just die wouldn't it? Since the only way for air to come in is through the lid and it's covered completely by water. And I was thinking of making a snorkel like a 4x4 would have for mud and water, but I would want it to be easily removable without having to rip all of my plastic off, and I don't think that's possible.

CJM
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I dont think its truly feasible. Just not what the machines designed for really.

quadmanw
04-03-2012, 08:40 PM
you're gonna run that beauty through deep water? :(

hocman123
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
i always loved hitting some nice deep water and i think unless u do make some carzy cool custom snorkal the stock one isnt that bad at all. the heat sheild keeps water from flying up into it from bellow. i have had my quad really deep with the exhaust and air box complete under and it never shut down and barlly had any water in my air box

400man
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
id vote for keeping the stock airbox lid and snorkle on, and just making sure it all seals up nice and tight everywhere. then you should be able to go through water up to the bottom of the gas tank, since that is where the stock snorkle goes to

Stickman400
04-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Well I'm not sinking it into a river. I'm just going creek bashing with a few friends and there are a few deep holes every now and then. I usually just go into it slow, get buried, then hop off and float it across. But when I stick my paddles on I go into it slow, then hammer it and it crawls right through it. But sometimes the hole is alittle deeper than I thought and water gets into the box and it starts sputtering and either dies or almost dies. So then I gotta jump off in chest deep water and starting pushing my baby out. It would suck, but when go riding when it's hot as **** out so it's like going for a nice swim every now and then. Kinda nice actually. Idk, I'll see how this setup works.

mitchconley
04-04-2012, 05:55 PM
i used to think it was fun hitting holes in my stock jeep. lets just say machines that arent built for it dont like it, because i no longer have that car. if you want to go bogging, get a 4x4.

TheAwesomehonda
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM
^^ 2X thats why i need to keep a 4x4 atv cuz when i get the feeling to go mud bogging/water riding I have something that works good in the mud.

Stickman400
04-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Well what the worst that's gunna happen? I wear out my rear axle bearings or front wheel bearings? Or my swingarm bolt that I coated in anti-seize and waterproof grease rusts? That's fine, I can live with that. It's way too much fun to not do it. Also I don't want to start another fight but what filter setup would be the best at repelling water? I'm thinking an Outerwear with a Twin Air or Uni filter since you coat them in air filter oil that water would bead off of. And that in combination with the outerwear and outerwear lid would repel water quite well wouldn't it?

TheAwesomehonda
04-04-2012, 06:58 PM
I think the outerwear material repels water the best. I don't do much mudding with my 400's but i like to get in the deep snow and the problem i've had with that is my air box has gotten full of snow when i'm riding cuz i don't have any sort of cover on the air box. It was like:eek2: when I took off my seat and i can't even see my filter cuz its cover with snow or maybe i was like:huh lol

Stickman400
04-04-2012, 07:14 PM
That doesn't help me or do any good saying that when I have a lid on in the first place and we are taking about water, not snow.

TheAwesomehonda
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
That doesn't help me or do any good saying that when I have a lid on in the first place and we are taking about water, not snow. Ok well what i mean is that the outerwears with a foam filter is your best bet. Just pour some water on a outerwears sometime and see how long it takes for it to soak thought if it does at all.

Stickman400
04-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Can anyone attest to their Uni or Twin Air filter repelling water with a certain filter oil on it?

buck440
04-06-2012, 07:07 AM
just run a freaking snorkel stack in the back somewhere. you seem like a guy who would. just let it be done with.

were you the one who wanted to carry a spare tire too lol?

Stickman400
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
No, that wasn't me. You obviously have nothing to contribute to this thread so don't post.

finsteratv
04-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Honestly thats what i would do too..Might be a little redneck but If you're swamping your machine you NEED that intake up high.

Stickman400
04-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm not going to be swamping it. I'm just going to be going through a 2 or 3' deep water hole every now and then and don't want water flooding my airbox and drowning out my engine. I just want to know if anyones Uni or Twin Air repels water when they have the filter oil on it. Honestly I'm prolly gunna be floating it through most of the holes rather than riding it, but I don't want water flooding into it if I can help it.

01boneless
04-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I'm not going to be swamping it. I'm just going to be going through a 2 or 3' deep water hole every now and then and don't want water flooding my airbox and drowning out my engine. I just want to know if anyones Uni or Twin Air repels water when they have the filter oil on it. Honestly I'm prolly gunna be floating it through most of the holes rather than riding it, but I don't want water flooding into it if I can help it.
the no toil filter oil replels water "OK" i found out when i washed my quad and when i was done i was able to shake the filter off and then let it dry,oil was still there and thick. BUT that being said if i sqeezed it I could feal some water that had soaked through. it would really suck if u sucked a little muddy water in your intake.