PDA

View Full Version : 2000 KX250 Handling

rooster300ex
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I don't know if its me or the bike, but it sure doesn't handle as well as it should I think. It has alot of head shake if thats what its called. It happens when i'm on it pretty hard, and let off. Worse in sand, and the front tire seems to want to slide out from under me. I have to put my boot down to keep from dumping over?? Is this just the kx's crappy handling or what??

KXRida
04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Lower your forks down in the tripple clamps a little bit and see if that helps. Getting a suspension tuned for you would make the bike 100 times more enjoyable to ride.

rooster300ex
04-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Lower your forks down in the tripple clamps a little bit and see if that helps. Getting a suspension tuned for you would make the bike 100 times more enjoyable to ride.

I have no idea how to do that. I've owned trikes and quads execpt for an xr80r when I was 11 or 12. But i'm mechanically inclined. How do u lower the forks down in the tripple clamps??

buck440
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
you see the 2 bolts on the top clamps and 2 bolts on the bottom...total of 8 bolts. loosen them and with some force sitting on the bike pushing down on the bars they should slide up.

KXRida
04-04-2012, 05:02 PM
^^^^What he said. Try that first. Also here are a few pointers to get you going in the right direction with suspension given your issues:

1. try increasing the compression dampening on the front forks
2. set your race sag between 95-105mm (100 is good baseline to start)
3. Reduce rebound on front forks a little
4. Increase rebound on rear shock a little

That may help you. Check out some of the bike forums. Most of them have a pretty good basic suspension setup guide. IMO suspension on a bike makes or breaks your experience. Nothing is better than a smooth, proper handling bike that rides in the stroke of the suspension but can take a large hit if it needs too.

rooster300ex
04-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the info. Which way do I turn the screw to reduce rebound on front forks and which way do i turn it to increase rebound on the rear? I'm sure I can figure it out, but won't hurt to ask so I can just do it right the first time.

KXRida
04-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Thanks for all the info. Which way do I turn the screw to reduce rebound on front forks and which way do i turn it to increase rebound on the rear? I'm sure I can figure it out, but won't hurt to ask so I can just do it right the first time.

Generally there should be a +/- by the clickers. The rebound is going to be on the bottom of the fork. The rebound will be on the bottom of the shock near the suspension linkage. Don't for get to open your bleeder screws on the front forks and let the air out as well. I usually do this every ride.

buck440
04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
found this, looks pretty informative.

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/dirt-bike-suspension.html

rooster300ex
04-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by buck440
found this, looks pretty informative.

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/dirt-bike-suspension.html

Just what I need. Added it to my favorites list. Thanks

rooster300ex
04-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Generally there should be a +/- by the clickers. The rebound is going to be on the bottom of the fork. The rebound will be on the bottom of the shock near the suspension linkage. Don't for get to open your bleeder screws on the front forks and let the air out as well. I usually do this every ride.

Man these dirtbikes are more maint. then what i'm use to. Are the bleeder screws on the top of the forks near the compression adjustment??

KXRida
04-11-2012, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Man these dirtbikes are more maint. then what i'm use to. Are the bleeder screws on the top of the forks near the compression adjustment??

yes... I had way less maintenance in my bikes than my quads

rooster300ex
04-12-2012, 06:42 AM
yes... I had way less maintenance in my bikes than my quads

Guess I'm just not use to a bike yet. Things i'm talking about is I have to clean the airfilter on my dirtbike before every ride, because after I wash it. It gets soaked with water. My quad has a lid I can put on it just stuff like that.

KXRida
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Maintenance should be performed regularly on any off road machine. Biggest issue with high performance 4 strokes are people not keeping up on the maintenance. Air filters and oil changes should be done regularly, especially a filter. After about every 3 races or some wheel, head stem, and suspension linkage bearings all saw new grease, wheels came off and axles where cleaned, dust seals pulled on the forks, seals cleaned etc. All the nature of the beast. If you take care of your bike, it will take care of you. Bleeding the forks regularly helps prevent premature fork seal failure as well. If take two screws out is too time consuming, get a set of speed bleeders. I don't care for them personally. I've seen too many break off and become lodged in the fork bleeder holes.

This may sound like a lot, but you can probably have half of this done in the time it would take you to disassemble your quads axle and take all the wheels off.

rooster300ex
04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KXRida
Maintenance should be performed regularly on any off road machine. Biggest issue with high performance 4 strokes are people not keeping up on the maintenance. Air filters and oil changes should be done regularly, especially a filter. After about every 3 races or some wheel, head stem, and suspension linkage bearings all saw new grease, wheels came off and axles where cleaned, dust seals pulled on the forks, seals cleaned etc. All the nature of the beast. If you take care of your bike, it will take care of you. Bleeding the forks regularly helps prevent premature fork seal failure as well. If take two screws out is too time consuming, get a set of speed bleeders. I don't care for them personally. I've seen too many break off and become lodged in the fork bleeder holes.

This may sound like a lot, but you can probably have half of this done in the time it would take you to disassemble your quads axle and take all the wheels off. [/QUOTET

Thanks for the info. I'm not complaning. It may be weird, but I enjoy working on quads and bikes maint. wise or whatever its my hobby.:D