PDA

View Full Version : 400ex frame mods

hondaREX
04-03-2012, 07:46 AM
I need some advice. Im planning to strip down my 400ex to the frame at the end of the summer and add a gussett kit to it. Do you think i need to do the gussett kit if im just trail riding with minor jumps and sand pits? Im in Mass and the trails are rocky as ****. I tore up 2-250r frames riding the same trails the same way as i do the 400ex. I know that the 250r frames were going on 24 years old at the time but i dont want the 400 to break. Weight isnt huge to me, id rather have a reliable, tough bike than worry about a pound or 2. But then again i may notice it when i get it done too. So any experience with a gussett kit would be appreciated.

Next, i read from other posters that they ground down the weld slag and cleaned up the factory welds. I was looking to do the same but also maybe fill in the open factory weld seams or JB Weld them to seal them up and give the frame a better look. Ive been told the factory doesnt seal the seams for flexibility reasons. And that in doing so would make the frame too rigid and break/crack easier. Also, will sealing the seams hold moisture in and be worse for the frame in the long run? In other words, is having the seams open helping to circulate air through the frame and dry it out? Thanks to all in advance.

Stickman400
04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I also had that same state of mind a few years back when I tore mine down the first time and rebuilt it. I bought a gussett kit from Bare Performance and it already has everything cut out and ready to weld in. I had a friend weld it all in for nothing so it worked out really good. Frame hasn't had any issues so far and I have beat the crap out of it. Here's a link to the kit: http://www.securewl.com/bareperformance/frontpageproducts/gusset-kit-configurable-product.html

And as for cleaning up and welding the frame, I went over mine with a dremel and a small grinding wheel and smoothed out all of the sloppy splatter from the factory welds and smooth out some welds that had too much height to them, aswell as shaving some of the factory mounts that I knew I would never use. It makes it look a lot better imho. But I don't think I would want to weld up anything more than what the factory did because of the reasons you listed. It would be too rigid and be more prone to cracking and it would also rust from the inside out if there was water in there. I'd only weld up something if it looked like it needed to be welded or had a broken weld or something along those lines, otherwise leave it be.

ish416
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
+1 on the Bare Performance gussets.

I am on my third EX frame. All have broke at the top shock mounts. Re-welded the frame and installed the gussets, still good after a few years of abuse.

quadracer556
04-03-2012, 07:12 PM
it all depends on your level of aggressiveness at that point.i have 2 frames with 9 break spots between them.for the cost of the gusset kit and any reasonable welder it is good insurance.i can get it done for less than $100 with parts and welding so its on the list.

hondaREX
04-04-2012, 04:44 AM
The Bare Performance kit is what i planned to get. i have one for my 250r but still havent done it because i dont want to rebuild it yet. Dont ride it so why rebuild it. I agree to not fill in unnecessary seams but it would look good if you did! As for aggressiveness, i bought hipers for a reason, i was sick of making regular aluminum rims look like eggs after a ride. It really doesnt matter how i ride because its where i ride that kills everything. Prevention is key!!!

ish and quadracer, where did your frames break so i can check those areas closely? Any other spots that arent covered with the Bare kit that need addressing while its stripped?

ish416
04-04-2012, 07:25 AM
All of mine have broke at the top of the front shock mounts.

pepshocks
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
i have a silvervein subframe for ya if your interested, aluminum battery box comes with it also