PDA

View Full Version : Should I hear a change of gear ratio?

JustinBoots
04-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Got a 50cc DRR that I'm struggling with CVT tuning on.....basically I've got a 200ft paved drag strip that I clock my son's passes on. I can actually here the bike go from the lower gear ratio to higher gear ratio about 125ft into the pass. I'm using 3.2s and 3.5s staggered right now in a Dr Pulley variator and the bike is running a motoforce full circle crank, cases ported to match cylinder and the stock cylinder has been ported as well and had exhaust port opened up. Running a slipper clutch with a National DRX 50cc pipe as well. Gearing is 20T/34T with 18" DWT Tires in rear. Hope that's enough information to help me out.

Ultimately, should I be able to hear that gear ratio change as he is running full throttle towards/away from me? If not, any suggestions?

kfx450
04-03-2012, 06:12 AM
You are hearing when the rollers get done shifting and the motor starts revving out if it starts pulling really hard At that point you need lighter rOllers

JustinBoots
04-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Clarification?....I think I'm hearing the RPMs drop once the rollers finish shifting out aren't I? Does that mean that it's basically "bogging" because the peak RPMs haven't been reached before it changes gear ratios? I wish my son could provide better feedback, but he's 7 and can only give me so much info. :)

kfx450
04-03-2012, 07:09 AM
With everything you have listed it sounds like you have a high rpm motor. We ran a stage 6 cylinder with 90 pipe no porting and had very good luck with 3 gram rollers on a 1000 max rpm spring with your set up I would think u might want an even lighter roller. best thing to do is run some timed passes with different set ups and see what works we run harescrambles so I find the biggest hill I can and see if I can make it bog

JustinBoots
04-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Good info and I forgot to list my torque spring is a new Max RPM 1500. I have a 1000 in the trailer so i could try that too. Thanks again