PDA

View Full Version : maintenance and performance difference between uni and k&n filter

mad4106
04-03-2012, 01:53 AM
I have a uni filter wo lid on my bike now i just wash it with dawn soap when it gets very dirty and let it dry i dont oil it which i think i am? I would like to upgrade to a k and n filter with a outerwear but if it requires alot of maintenance than i mine as well keep the uni and does the k&N make that much more of a noticeable gain?

dxcody
04-03-2012, 02:07 AM
READ FIRST! Then post...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=485805

No need to have 100,000 air filter posts in 1 day.

In the long run it saves you a ton of time.

Not trying to be a d*ckhead, just saying this thread will end up just like that thread, trash.

mad4106
04-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks that thread with that link u gave me did get way out of hand behind my same question but it answered my question thanks!

dxcody
04-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by mad4106
Thanks that thread with that link u gave me did get way out of hand behind my same question but it answered my question thanks!

No problem! Like i said, i really wasnt trying to be a d*ck..

i just knew where this would go! lol

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
As you probobly know i like K&N cuz 1. they do have more snap then stock 2. if you run the outerwear/prefilter they don't need to be cleaned often at all 3. you never need to replace it just buy it once clean it every 3hours and your good to go. but everybody saying they allow dust and dirt in your motor may make you shy away from them. I can'r report any dirt in my carb, intake boot or anything.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 11:21 AM
He got his answer already, thank you for chiming in.

Drfat400ex
04-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Going from a UNI to a K&N would be completely pointless. Instead of having to clean out a K&N all the dirt just goes right through it so it's always clean anyways! Only 3 times more money for one too! Score! I switched from K&N to UNI and I never noticed any power loss or gain at all.

D3structive
04-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
As you probobly know i like K&N cuz 1. they do have more snap then stock 2. if you run the outerwear/prefilter they don't need to be cleaned often at all 3. you never need to replace it just buy it once clean it every 3hours and your good to go. but everybody saying they allow dust and dirt in your motor may make you shy away from them. I can'r report any dirt in my carb, intake boot or anything.

If you run for 1 hour in mud and your filter is covered should you still wait until you hit 3 hours to clean it.....im confused. sometime I clean my filter after a days riding if it needs it. keeping your filter clean will extend the life of your motor ultimately

mad4106
04-06-2012, 01:31 AM
i wanna get another uni since mine is old and came with bike when i bought do any of yall know if its comes preoiled already when u buy it new?

beastlywarrior
04-06-2012, 06:49 AM
None of mine have

Loshe
04-06-2012, 06:55 AM
a uni filter does not come pre oiled

TheAwesomehonda
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by D3structive
If you run for 1 hour in mud and your filter is covered should you still wait until you hit 3 hours to clean it.....im confused. sometime I clean my filter after a days riding if it needs it. keeping your filter clean will extend the life of your motor ultimately sorry that was a mistake. All that i mean is if you ride in normal conditions you only need to clean a K&N every 20 hours or riding.

D3structive
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I highly disagree with you. I think that the amount of time between cleanings can only be measured by the individual and what your perception is about maintenance. Normal conditions for an atv are dirty and dusty, the worst conditions to run a motor in . unless your on a camping excursion or a strictly street rider I would clean my filter after every day if I hit mud. the longest it was used was 2 days. again thats just the person I am and how I take care of my equipment.

TheAwesomehonda
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by D3structive
I highly disagree with you. I think that the amount of time between cleanings can only be measured by the individual and what your perception is about maintenance. Normal conditions for an atv are dirty and dusty, the worst conditions to run a motor in . unless your on a camping excursion or a strictly street rider I would clean my filter after every day if I hit mud. the longest it was used was 2 days. again thats just the person I am and how I take care of my equipment. That would be more true for me if i didn't use the prefilter/outerwear, I've found that catches most of the dirt and dust. Also I don't usually ride in dusty conditions.