PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's back on a Honda!

dxcody
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Guess... Guess.... Guess..... Nope, guess again..

Ok Yea its me. :D

AGAIN, but this one is here to stay.

Supposably it has a stage 2 cam, 440 kit..

Runs really good, and its god loads of power so it might have a 440. The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he said when he bought it, it had the kit already installed. He pulled it apart and checked it out and it was indeed a 440, with a Stage 2 hotcam.

Its got a 2007 bottom end so it has reverse. It is in a little worn down state right now, but runs great and im going to start cleaning on it and personalizing it tonight.

It does need a new clutch, this one doesnt disengauge all the way and i adjusted it with no prevail so looks like its time for the Tusk HD clutch kit, but other than that it just needs to be redone to fit me. Everything else is good right now.

Im going to make this Kinda a CJM "tear down time" style thread. Im just not stripping it all the way down. Im going to take before and after pics of the a arms, Axle, Etc.

Whoever had it built and jetted it (to my suprise) actually knew what they were doing, it seems like. The jetting is dead on. Cant get any better. Darkish brown tip plug and the threads are black (thank you steve for making me Check that)

Enough Jibber jabber, heres a pic!

dxcody
04-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I will take and post more pics as i go.

Wish list includes:

Fresh Rubbers:

New wheels (Maybe? Maybe Hipers??)

Tusk Axle:

Tusk Nerfs:

GTT A arms:

Jet Suspension 450R front shocks, Maybe GT Thunder to match the Arms, not sure yet. Respring Rear Shock (single rate probably)

Oh another thing i wanted to throw out there, i am going to "attempt" to make stock 400ex front Dual Rate Shocks, I dont know how they will turn out, but i am going to try it (eventually.)
and If they turn out good, then let me know if thats something you guys might be interested in buying if it works.. May sound dumb but you never know!

Put my Pro Tapers on there, with Spider Grips and my powermadds:

It has a T4 exhaust, which is missing the end cap, and i am going to repack it:

Put My PRM Summit Front Bumper on there:

Paint Shock Springs Black:

Paint Stock A Arms black/red not sure yet (until i can get my GT Thunders)

Just mostly, cleaning and maintance for tonight.

UNI Filter:

Just a good old Cleaning!

Will Post pics in a few hours of the progress.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 03:04 AM
I cannot stress this enough, TORQUE SPECS!

Went to drain my oil to put some good stuff in it, and this happened...............

A Drain PLug DOES NOT NEED TO BE MUCH TIGHTER THAN FINGER TIGHT! 14 LBS is the torque setting.... I hate stupid people....

Can Anyone guess what happened here? Lucky for me i have another oil cooler.

quadmanw
04-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Holy crap did that thing just pull the whole thread and all out with it? But anyways looks like a great find Cody! Good to see you back on a Honda! :devil:

TacicalRedneck
04-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
I will take and post more pics as i go.

Wish list includes:

Fresh Rubbers:

New wheels (Maybe? Maybe Hipers??)

Tusk Axle:

Tusk Nerfs:

GTT A arms:

Jet Suspension 450R front shocks, Maybe GT Thunder to match the Arms, not sure yet. Respring Rear Shock (single rate probably)

Oh another thing i wanted to throw out there, i am going to "attempt" to make stock 400ex front Dual Rate Shocks, I dont know how they will turn out, but i am going to try it (eventually.)
and If they turn out good, then let me know if thats something you guys might be interested in buying if it works.. May sound dumb but you never know!

Put my Pro Tapers on there, with Spider Grips and my powermadds:

It has a T4 exhaust, which is missing the end cap, and i am going to repack it:

Put My PRM Summit Front Bumper on there:

Paint Shock Springs Black:

Paint Stock A Arms black/red not sure yet (until i can get my GT Thunders)

Just mostly, cleaning and maintance for tonight.

UNI Filter:

Just a good old Cleaning!

Will Post pics in a few hours of the progress.

I for sure wouldn't go with Hipers...
Let me say why:
1)If you don't torque the bead just right they will shatter... Sure they are modular... but it's still a pain.
2)After a day of riding in the sun they will fade to terrible looking colors.
3)Hipers have been known to shatter.
4)A "compound" Hiper uses is not all that strong. A little carbon fiber and a whole lot of plastic.
5)You can get a nice DWT beadlock for less that what you would pay for a tech 3, about the same as the cheapy CF1's.
6)DWT alumalite rims are lighter that you think...

My point... go for DWT's..

CJM
04-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Traded the Zuki?

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I cannot stress this enough, TORQUE SPECS!

Went to drain my oil to put some good stuff in it, and this happened...............

A Drain PLug DOES NOT NEED TO BE MUCH TIGHTER THAN FINGER TIGHT! 14 LBS is the torque setting.... I hate stupid people....

Can Anyone guess what happened here? Lucky for me i have another oil cooler. I feel your pain man the exactly samething happened to my 01 when i bought it. So i went ahead and got a cfm oversized oil tank for my 05 and put my stock one on the 01. Anyhow cfm makes a good tank you may want to look into one cuz they will fix or replace your tank if it cracks or leaks in anyway at anytime plus your quad should run 20 degrees cooler.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by quadmanw
Holy crap did that thing just pull the whole thread and all out with it? But anyways looks like a great find Cody! Good to see you back on a Honda! :devil:

haha yes it did.. Freaking broke the whole bottom of the cooler off... So now i have officially can add a broken oil cooler to my list of things i have broke.

CJM: Suzuki is OUTTA HERE! Traded and gone! I was actually going to keep it, but it cost 3x the amount of money to make a Zuki the way i want it, over the Honda. And i just like the honda more, i know more about them.

Redneck: I apriciate you telling me your experience with Hiper Wheels, though i dont agree with you. I understand that you are a Hardcore DWT fan, as you have repped them up since the first day u joined the site, but i am probably going to end up with just PC stockers.

AwesomeHonda: I would buy the CFM but i already have a spare Stock Oil tank. I guess im going to find out if you can replace a oil tank without taking the header off.. lol

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
No i don't think you need to with a stock header and tank but i did with my hmf and cfm cuz there both alot bigger.

CJM
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Stock tanks easy, should slide right in. If not undo the oil cooler and it will. I slide my CFM tank in by remove the oil cooler.

atvrider13
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I wouldnt get a Tusk clutch kit. I did and i regretted it. Slipped from day one!

CJM
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
FWIW Im quite happy with the GT Thunder setup, its 2x as $ as the tusk setup tho.

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Stock tanks easy, should slide right in. If not undo the oil cooler and it will. I slide my CFM tank in by remove the oil cooler. Oh i never thought of that i probobly wouldn't have had to take off my headers if i did that.

dxcody
04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Good deal, im going to try it this evening, right now im gonna go on a bike ride, since its nice today. :D

Look for some Mushrooms!

Luckly i come prepared for tonight!

$12.95 at wal mart.. Cant believe how cheap this stuff is. lol

400exwhipper
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Highley recommend the tusk kit.. No slippage ever torqued to 8ft pounds .. Always engauges and disengauges flawlessly, hd springs are not a ton stiffer but they work great :)

HondaRacing83
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
nice quad cody!

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Nice! I would highly suggest my Sedona's if you're in the market for tires. Just a little over $200 for all four tires and they're incredible.

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Nice! I would highly suggest my Sedona's if you're in the market for tires. Just a little over $200 for all four tires and they're incredible. That is a deal for tires man. Hey will you have a vid or pics of it? b/c i'd like to see these tires.

Rohr397
04-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah for sure

HondaRacing83
04-03-2012, 07:24 PM
For a close second to the sedonas, gbc x rex at kgmotorcycle fer sure. $240 for all 4 free 3 day shipping

TheAwesomehonda
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
For a close second to the sedonas, gbc x rex at kgmotorcycle fer sure. $240 for all 4 free 3 day shipping IKR man that place is good. i think someone on here had the link or i never would have found them but i'm glad i did.

HondaRacing83
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM
me to! i was about to pay $300 for all 4 +shipping on ebay then someone posted that link and im like hot damn!

dxcody
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I would get the XREX fronts, but i would probably go Race Rex rear.

Razr 2's just hook up too much on the rear end.

Plus i am looking at 4 ply tires.

I do a little MX and XC so i want something somewhat light.

Prolly just do Razr 1 rears, Razr 1 Fronts.

tbrackman84
04-04-2012, 10:21 AM
haha thats funny the same thing broke on mine when i did its first oil change!

dxcody
04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
haha thats funny the same thing broke on mine when i did its first oil change!

I have never done that before! Glad im not the only one lol.

At least B0Rn CoNfused had an extra..

Ready to go!

dxcody
04-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I did pull out the tank screen to see if it had been takin care of or not, and it was clean. No metal shavings. Nothing.

So thats a good thing.

Thats one way to tell if someone has takin care of it, because no one ever cleans that oil screen.

Rohr397
04-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Not to get everyone off topic, I'll have the pics up today of the Sedona's. I had quite a bit of trouble getting everything bolted up last night, long story :rolleyes:

dxcody
04-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Not to get everyone off topic, I'll have the pics up today of the Sedona's. I had quite a bit of trouble getting everything bolted up last night, long story :rolleyes:

Well where the h*ll are they Rohr!

TheAwesomehonda
04-08-2012, 07:18 PM
^^^ haha just what i was gonna ask.

Rohr397
04-08-2012, 07:38 PM
hahaha sorry I get sidetracked quickly. I'll go take them right now and take care of that.

Rohr397
04-08-2012, 07:43 PM
1. Front
2. Rear
3. Front & Rear

Sorry for the mess, re-arranging the garage for my newest ride :devil: got myself a 1986 Yamaha Moto 4 80cc with a blown motor, for free!

Rohr397
04-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Rohr397
04-08-2012, 07:45 PM

coryatver
04-08-2012, 07:49 PM
tusk clutches are junk you think you save money but you will end up having to buy another clutch and throw the tusk away. Get oem honda.

The newer 400ex oil tanks are reinforced on the bottom so that doesn't happen. 2003 has the reinforcement anyway not sure about 01 and 02

dxcody
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Rears look real good.

Not big on the "Flat pattern" style front tires tho.

Rohr397
04-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah they're better in person but they look flat in person, they're not round like a Maxxis but they're a bit better than an ITP

dxcody
04-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Welp, got to work a little bit on the quad tonight.

Been in Tennessee the last few days, got to see my nephew.

Anyways...

Before...

dxcody
04-09-2012, 03:27 AM
After...

Much better.

Decided not to paint my springs.. Just didnt feel like it.

HondaRacing83
04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
love those sedonas. how much did that run you?

TheAwesomehonda
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
So how did you get that black guard thing out from inside the springs? won't you get alot of dirt in your shock like that?

Rohr397
04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
$220 for all 4 and $370 including the rims.

HondaRacing83
04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
What rims did you get?

Rohr397
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Just some basic GForce GP rims

CJM
04-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Just some basic GForce GP rims

Good luck man. Friend of mine tried those with brand new tires on the front of his EX, they dented the first day out :(

Rohr397
04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
All I have to worry about is sandy/silty crap

CJM
04-09-2012, 12:34 PM
All I have to worry about is sandy/silty crap

Thats same type of stuff we ride in, I think the washboards did his wheels in-maybe he didnt have enough air either-IDK for sure. Just know they bent.

Rohr397
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Weird I heard a lot of good reviews on them. I debated whether to buy the stronger XC wheels over the GP's but my wallet had the last word with that one.

dxcody
04-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
So how did you get that black guard thing out from inside the springs? won't you get alot of dirt in your shock like that?

I always do that to mine, I hate the way it looks with the black guard in there.

There is a seal that goes along the shock shaft that should keep all the durt and crap out. I have never had any problems with doing it.

You just compress the spring and pull out the C retainer out of the top of the shock. Fairly simple.

Then you can pull the Entire shock apart basically.

Going out to do some more work tonight, right now actually. Yea its 2:40 AM and im headed to the garage!

dxcody
04-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Ok, has anyone ever tried to chop their steering stem?

May sound dumb but i like my handlebars pretty low, and im always looking for ways to make it lower.

The only problem i really see is, if i go too low then it wont clear the tank cover..

I got the pro taper contours, which are decently low, i think as low as they get.

But all the Anti vibe clamps i find raise the bars up about 1" and so i was trying to think of a counter to ballance it back out after the anti vibe clamps install.

CJM
04-18-2012, 07:19 PM
I see people lengthen them all the time so you should be able to shorten it. Just make damn sure the welds are good and you would need to chop where the end mounts off and then cut the stem and reweld.

Rohr397
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
CR low bend will be ridiculously low. Even CR high was really low.

dxcody
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
It looks like, the Pro Taper Contour universal low is about the lowest the contours go.

I have no checked out the EVO's yet but if i had to choose it would be between the Pro Taper Contour, Woods Low, or Universal Low.

dxcody
04-24-2012, 06:42 AM
How did it effect low end?

I will probably go with the stage 2, but i was just wondering how much it really took away from the bottom end?

HondaRacing83
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
any new pics?

dxcody
05-08-2012, 03:55 AM
ok. I havent gotten **** done in the last 2 weeks. Been worried about my buddies wheeler that i assembled the engine on.

I am NEVER doing engine work for anyone again OTHER than MYSELF! lol
TOOO MUCH STRESS!

Anyways, right now there isnt much to show picture wise. I stripped her down, all thats left on the frame is the arms, tie rods, etc.. (the front end).. I pulled the swingarm off, engine, subframe, shock etc, etc.

This is pretty much a boring thread right now. Just trying to get my buddies quad out of my garage and work as much as possible so that i can buy my parts.

dxcody
05-08-2012, 04:12 AM
I cant figure out what to do engine wise, maybe you guys can help.

Been debating hardcore on going 12:1 or 12.5:1 but finally i think i made up my mind to just go 11:1, i dont use all the power a 11:1 has to offer anyways.

But anyways what i am having a hard time deciding to do is, wiseco makes a top end kit, that comes with a new cylinder and everything, 11:1, and gasket kit for $400.

Well a 11:1 piston is about $140 and i have to buy a jug (Off steve) for $70 because i gave mine to my buddy.
Then have it bored $60 to a 88mm
then $135 for the hotcam and $40ish for the gasket kit. Plus a timing chain etc etc.

SO im kinda at a toss up on what to do... Any thoughts?

CJM
05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Im honestly disappointed in wiseco, the pistons must be very heavy cause my 426 piston makes the quad vibrate something awful (you do get used to it) vs my friends 407. We both use a wiseco piston tho.

Next round Im buying a JE piston, its lighter.

I do agree the wiseco kit is worth the money tho.

01boneless
05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im honestly disappointed in wiseco, the pistons must be very heavy cause my 426 piston makes the quad vibrate something awful (you do get used to it) vs my friends 407. We both use a wiseco piston tho.

Next round Im buying a JE piston, its lighter.

I do agree the wiseco kit is worth the money tho.
i doubt it the wiseco making your quad vibrate it could be moutor monts or anything but you never know. i use a je and love it so light and u can tell they really pay attention to the details on it. but there pretty pricey

dxcody
05-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I was looking at the CP but i just cant justify the cost when they are $100 more than a wiseco, i have never had any troubles out of wiseco and i have had 3 or four of their pistons.

CJM
05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
i doubt it the wiseco making your quad vibrate it could be moutor monts or anything but you never know. i use a je and love it so light and u can tell they really pay attention to the details on it. but there pretty pricey

i doubt it, everything is tight. A heavier piston will cause a vibration period. More mass tomove around.

If you look up piston weights CP and JE are much lighter than a wiseco.

01boneless
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM
i doubt it, everything is tight. A heavier piston will cause a vibration period. More mass tomove around.

If you look up piston weights CP and JE are much lighter than a wiseco.
like i said its possible but w.e i guess and edit i run cp not je but ther both good

dxcody
05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
well wiseco has came out with something to compare to CP and JE because Toby @ MXP switched race built engines from JE to wiseco this year :)

Wonder what wiseco has hiding??

dxcody
05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Ok, FINALLY

i got a couple pics for ya.

dxcody
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Nother....

dxcody
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
And the final Product.

dxcody
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Ill have more pics after tonight.

dxcody
05-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Here is what im thinking:

WHITE: Stem, motor mounts, Handguards, Calipers

BLACK: GTT Arms, Swinger, AXLE, Hubs, Nerfs.

RED: plastic

BLUE: Frame, Nerf Nets

Graphics Kit is gonna be a whole bunch of different colors, some white, Blue, Red, Black... Idk, Austin @ Spider Graphix will make somethin crazy.

Here is the White on blue combo. Looks good to me, What do yall think?

Stickman400
05-17-2012, 11:12 PM
That is A LOT of different colors, too many for me. But if you do it right it oughta look sick. I like the Blue/White combo, but throwing in red and black is gunna throw everything off in my mind. Unless you get it just right.

Rohr397
05-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I agree the red could fit in but the black might be too much

dxcody
05-18-2012, 08:00 AM
I agree the red could fit in but the black might be too much

Well the red HAS to fit in, since im not buying new plastic lol.

And the black has to,because i am going to do my motor black and my Arms come black.

We will see how it looks in the end i guess.. I kinda think its too many colors myself, but i have to fit them all in somehow.

The only reason i threw white in there was because my handguards i bought for my white z400 were white and those are the ones im using now, and powermadd shock covers were white. So i had to make something else white and the motor mounts were the first thing i grabbed.

Otis.Leo
05-18-2012, 08:42 AM
a day late and a dollar short but if you are going to shorten your steering i would definitly take it to a shop and have it spin welded back together.. welds should hold up pretty good day to day but in the long run, with spills roll overs and runnin into things, they will weaken... spin weld is like getting a brand new shorter shaft!! and its cool to watch!! :D

dxcody
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Otis.Leo
a day late and a dollar short but if you are going to shorten your steering i would definitly take it to a shop and have it spin welded back together.. welds should hold up pretty good day to day but in the long run, with spills roll overs and runnin into things, they will weaken... spin weld is like getting a brand new shorter shaft!! and its cool to watch!! :D

I bought the lowest bend pro tapers i could buy and it seems to work for me. If i ever do decide to chop a stem i will deff do that, thanks!

dxcody
05-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Ordered some stuff tonight!

I ended up getting the entire top end deal on ebay.

JE 12:1 Piston kit. Comes with:

JE 12:1 piston
Rings
Clips
Wristpin
440 sleeved BRAND NEW cylinder
Cometic top end gasket kit.

SUPER PUMPED! :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :)

$411 down the drain.... ah well!

dxcody
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
OK, so i think i am going to change it a little from before.

I got to thinking about what you guys said, and i am going to try not to do anything black.

BUT i dont know about a white axle.

We will see how it turns out i suppose!

Ill get some pics up soon.

TacicalRedneck
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
After...

Much better.

Decided not to paint my springs.. Just didnt feel like it.

this may seem kind of stupid, but how would you paint your springs? I've never taken a good look to see how i'd get them off, sounds like something i need to do...

dxcody
05-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
this may seem kind of stupid, but how would you paint your springs? I've never taken a good look to see how i'd get them off, sounds like something i need to do...

You have to compress the spring, and then there is a "C" Shaped retainer you have to remove then the spring comes right off.

chronicsmoke
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Nice Cody, first time I saw that you had your bike stripped!

I say throw some black in.. really you are black white red and blue.. thats not too busy. Red and blue clash more than the black in there too. but it's been done before. I'd try and use more white. and do your wheels black.. that will help tie everything black into it.

This was just posted on another forum.. http://450rhq.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=799&d=1337501114 not exactly what you're up to but the same colours.. I say go for it!

You know I'm subscribed :D

dxcody
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks man!

BTW whats your username on that other forum?

Im making an account on there to see that thread and it asked what user reffered me.

chronicsmoke
05-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Im making an account on there to see that thread and it asked what user reffered me.

Same as here, broseph. The chat box is the shiit

TacicalRedneck
05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Nice Cody, first time I saw that you had your bike stripped!

I say throw some black in.. really you are black white red and blue.. thats not too busy. Red and blue clash more than the black in there too. but it's been done before. I'd try and use more white. and do your wheels black.. that will help tie everything black into it.

This was just posted on another forum.. http://450rhq.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=799&d=1337501114 not exactly what you're up to but the same colours.. I say go for it!

You know I'm subscribed :D

This guys yami is red, blue, black, white, and full of color...

SICK BIKE!

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=488021

(bike posted by SRH)

dxcody
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I like that 250R that is blue black white and red.

THing looks awesome.

If this thing ever gets finished maybe it will be QOTM material.... Yea prolly not. But it would be cool lol.