PDA

View Full Version : what gives??? 250r not running right

jimbo1073
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
motor running like its to lean. the other day it backfired and started running perfect. then it started stalling out. i would remove the plug then reinstall it. then it would run fine again. after an hour or 2 of riding it went back to running like it was to lean again/starving for fuel. what gives????

Grande Huevos
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Try checking the coil wire where it connects to the cap that snaps onto your plug. I once rode a bike that would scream for a min then it would start cutting out real bad and die from time to time. Turned out that wire was all corroded and the plug wasnt getting a sufficiant spark and ran like crap! So the guy jetted his carb super lean to try and compinsate for it. I stripped that wire a bit and plugged it back in re jetted and it was a great running bike again. Also What does your plug look like after riding it and getting the motor hot?? Are you gapping your plug? if so whats the gap?

Deadly
04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
It could be the coil anode wire has a poor connection to the plug cap or a bad plug cap. Ensure the ground wire is solid and the contact point to the frame is clean.

If you're using a BR8ES then grab some plyers and twist that terminal cap on tight. Those caps are infamous for coming loose and a typical "notice point" is when you start ram rodding the motor and that's when it needs more spark to burn the extra gas. In essence you would have weak spark. So removing the spark plug and reinserting it is just reinitiating an already "iffy" contact.

Just start running BR8ES-S plugs and eliminate that factor.
"Solid Terminal" plugs.

jimbo1073
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
b8res is the plug i run.never had the problem before. plug is actually to clean. i wonder if it could be the reeds??? there was a gap in between one of the petals and reed cage when i rebuilt the motor this last time so i flipd it over. starts right up and idles but then.... runs like i said before. im confused. why did it backfire and then run right besides stalling out and havin to pull out the plug and then put the same one right back in? then it went right back to acting like it was lean,bigtime. also i bumped it up a jet size when i bored and rebuilt the topend. idk whats goin on.thanks for any help

DnB_racing
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Deadly
It could be the coil anode wire has a poor connection to the plug cap or a bad plug cap. Ensure the ground wire is solid and the contact point to the frame is clean.

If you're using a BR8ES then grab some plyers and twist that terminal cap on tight. Those caps are infamous for coming loose and a typical "notice point" is when you start ram rodding the motor and that's when it needs more spark to burn the extra gas. In essence you would have weak spark. So removing the spark plug and reinserting it is just reinitiating an already "iffy" contact.

Just start running BR8ES-S plugs and eliminate that factor.
"Solid Terminal" plugs. i agree its probably a bad plug cap connection

but what is a "coil anode wire"

im well aware what an anode is, and I know what a wire is, and i know what a coil is,

but "coil anode wire" is almost a contradiction of terms.... could you explain exactly what it really means

slamdak8782
04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
clean your carb out and make sure your vent tube is not plugged. Just another suggestion.