PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb upgrade

sally400ex
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
hey guys i am looking at putting a 450r carb on my 400ex..
it is mainly stock with homemade outerwear air box lid and slip on white brothers exhuast|. what jets should i be running.
i am in wisconsin. that makes a difference.
Is it worth the upgrade for this machine? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks

dxcody
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409169

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143853

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by sally400ex
hey guys i am looking at putting a 450r carb on my 400ex..
it is mainly stock with homemade outerwear air box lid and slip on white brothers exhuast|. what jets should i be running.
i am in wisconsin. that makes a difference.
Is it worth the upgrade for this machine? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks Hey WISCONSIN i live there to. What county i live in Dooor?

sally400ex
04-02-2012, 06:27 PM
i am in southeast wisconsin. washington county to be exact.
do lots of riding in marinette county and florence area...
looking for new areas if u know any good areas.

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sally400ex
i am in southeast wisconsin. washington county to be exact.
do lots of riding in marinette county and florence area...
looking for new areas if u know any good areas. There are no public tracks or trails in door county and not very many in kewaunee or brown county ether.

pepshocks
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
i have a 42 mm fcr for sale, comes with boots that fit 400ex if interested

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
FYI, you dont need a speacial adapter or even the hotstart to use a 450r carb, you dont even have to grind anything.

You only need a 450r throttle cable and under $20 worth of stuff from your local hardware store, maybe a few jetts also.

300exBorg
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
FYI, you dont need a speacial adapter or even the hotstart to use a 450r carb, you dont even have to grind anything.

You only need a 450r throttle cable and under $20 worth of stuff from your local hardware store, maybe a few jetts also.

If this is true then why do people use the adapter? I'm not saying you are wrong I am just curious.

CJM
04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 300exBorg
If this is true then why do people use the adapter? I'm not saying you are wrong I am just curious.

Alot of people have problems sealing the carb from air or making it reach the airbox in some cases.

I have the adapter and I like it. I could have made my own using some pvc or abs and plumbing fittings and such but I felt the adapter was an easier setup.

As for the hotstart-if its not sealed 100% then it will leak and cause issues. Some of us (myself included) could easily fab up whatever to make it seal well or just use enough rtv, others dont know how or cant and find sealing it with some rtv and the hotstart plunger is worthwhile. I did the plunger route with some rtv and so did a friend and we have no issues. I put the plunger and spring in, squished some rtv in and put the top of the hotstart on and screwed it on and no leaks.

sally400ex
04-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Where can I find the plunger and spring u talkin bout
is it in carb already?
Lookn to do this just picked up carb

sally400ex
04-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Where can I find the plunger and spring u talkin bout
is it in carb already?
Lookn to do this just picked up carb

Stickman400
04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
It's number 8 in this partsfische: http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX450R-%28KICK-START%29/CARBURETOR-%28'04%2C'05%29

440rdr1
04-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 300exBorg

i used the adapter and it literally was 1,2,3...all u have to do is use a dremel and remove the lip on your intake boot.
apply a light coat of lithium grease and everything goes together perfect.

JOHNDOE83
04-07-2012, 06:51 AM
I dunno, in my opinion a $4 grommet works better then a $45 dollar adapter.

I just think if you ever wanna re-sell the carb, no one will want a ground down carb inlet.

The grommet clamps down fine and seals just as good as the stock carb boot setup.

I didnt have to grind anything, the carb went right in with a lil silicone spray and finnesse.

Mr-Sleeper-34
04-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I dunno, in my opinion a $4 grommet works better then a $45 dollar adapter.

I just think if you ever wanna re-sell the carb, no one will want a ground down carb inlet.

The grommet clamps down fine and seals just as good as the stock carb boot setup.

I didnt have to grind anything, the carb went right in with a lil silicone spray and finnesse.

^Why would anybody grind on the carb with the adapter? That would defeat the purpose of getting the adapter if that was the case.

Stickman400
04-07-2012, 06:47 PM
With ZRPilots adapter you have to grind the ridges that are cast in the carb. body for the adapter to slip on and make a seal. You don't grind on the adapter at all.

TheAwesomehonda
04-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Mr-Sleeper-34
^Why would anybody grind on the carb with the adapter? That would defeat the purpose of getting the adapter if that was the case. The carb has to be grown for the adapter to fit on to it. There are little ribs on the surface that the adapter slides over that have to be grown off.

JOHNDOE83
04-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr-Sleeper-34
^Why would anybody grind on the carb with the adapter? That would defeat the purpose of getting the adapter if that was the case.

Thats kinda my point exactly.

Also some say to grind the intake boot on the cylinder so the carb will fit, it actually fits fine with a lil finnesse although it is a tight fit.

Mr-Sleeper-34
04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Thats kinda my point exactly.

Also some say to grind the intake boot on the cylinder so the carb will fit, it actually fits fine with a lil finnesse although it is a tight fit.

^Gotchu. Yeah, I was really looking forward to doing this mod, but decided I would stick to a simpler setup.