PDA

View Full Version : brake upgrade

sally400ex
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
can someone give me advice on which brake set up to upgrade too?
looking at yfz450 calipers . i guess they just bolt right up?

or spend the money on 450r spindle and caliber set up>
any advice or if u know which one would be better?
i do mostly trail riding not any racing> thanks

dxcody
04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=365496&perpage=10&highlight=brake light switch&pagenumber=2

This is a very detailed thread about the 450R brake upgrade.

400man
04-02-2012, 11:52 PM
on the front.....go with yfz450 calipers. Hands down its the best bang for the buck, they bolt staight on the stock 400ex spindles. Night and day difference on the braking, even with the stock lines. And another plus ive noticed since ive had mine is that the brake pads last alot longer than the stock 400ex pads/calipers.

on the rear.....the 450r rear brake caliper/rotor is a nice upgrade, but not really as noticable as the yfz calipers up front. But on the 450 rear brakes, you get around a inch more ground clearance, and you can change the pads in like 30 seconds :D

hondaREX
04-04-2012, 05:16 PM
400man, did your yfz450 calipers fit with new pads? I have used pads on them now that are leaving very little movement in the slides on the outer pad. Tough to explain but they look like new pads might bind/drag or lock up completely the rotor until "worn" to the used, current thickness. Ive got time on these pads, and maybe alot of time but im curious.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM
you have to decompress the brake piston pretty far to make new pads fit properly.

They will still be tight for a few rides but will get better.

thecoon
04-05-2012, 04:26 PM
raptor 700 calipers are the same as yfz450 also some times cheaper .

buck440
04-06-2012, 06:57 AM
probably cheaper and easier to get braided lines and put quality fluid in it and there you go.

most people think stainless braided brake lines are just to look cool but while they do they are also practical. regular rubber lines expand under brake pressure while braided lines don't expand nearly as much as stock which=better stopping.

just letting you know some options.

hondaREX
04-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Stainless lines are absolutely practical. And yes would be the best bang for your buck. I got ahold of a set of YFZ calipers for $50 so i went with those. Had a set of SS lines off my 250r so it got those as well. Dual piston calipers are worth it for the right price.

johndoe, i have the pistons fully collapsed but the used pads, tho they may be near new with the amount of brake left, still are real close to dragging. But i will wait to change them and find out then. I have some ideas of what to do if they are locked up with new pads.