PDA

View Full Version : Can you add electric start for Yamaha YZ250F?

OldGuyonaQuad
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Might seem like a stupid question (for those of you that don't know me ) but my poor riding buddy is getting too old to kick his 250 (even though he is in denial, blames it on the old boot) and it's 2x worse when he brings his buddy that has the same bike because now he is struggling to kick two of them over. Guessing it's not available since I don't think it was a factory option from Yamaha on this model, but if it can be done I'm guessing someone here has done it.

buck440
04-02-2012, 02:14 PM
from what i read you need to completely redo the electrical system, somehow find a spot for the battery, replace the left and left center case, some bs with the flywheel...pretty much custom work without a manuel. there are no direct bolt on's.

a properly maintained bike could help but if he's still too "inadequate"? than it wouldn't matter.

maby a switch to ktm, wr or dual sport? maby even a e-start motor swap. imo these ideas are much easier than converting a yz to e-start.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info buck. I will pass it on to my buddy

KXRida
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Is he struggling to physically kick the bike over I'm assuming? My 4 pokes would usually start first or second kick hot or cold.

CJM
04-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Valves might need to be adjusted or redone-once they go outta wack its a pain to get those suckers going.

OldGuyonaQuad
04-03-2012, 05:10 PM
thanks guys, kinda what we both figured. I'm sure he doesn't do himself any favors by constantly messing with the choke and carb. To top it off he has worn a hole in the bottom of the boot from cranking this thing over for so long then letting his boots sit for a couple of years.

KXRida
04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
adjust the valves, rejet, pull the choke, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE, and give a healthy kick. If the first two are in spec you shouldn't have any issues firing the bike cold/hot. If you lay the bike over try this method, it usually gets a pretty quick fire. Turn the fuel off, pull the hot start, hold the throttle wide open and kick.

Tommy Warren
04-04-2012, 05:31 PM
my valves are out of spec on my crf250r. I'm waiting for shims right now... what I do is choke it....pump the gas 4 or 5 times and it fires right up. if not I pump the gas 6 times and then it will go

OldGuyonaQuad
04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
thanks again guys for all of your help, I will pass it on to my friend.

buck440
04-05-2012, 01:25 AM
maby even a hose that directly goes in his intake so you can quickly shoot ether into it lol. hell, why not.