PDA

View Full Version : New 440 ex wont start

mittman
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I posted about this a few months back and finally have time to start working on the problem more.

I just built my 02 to a 440, JE 12:1 piston and rings,wiesco 440 sleeve,stage 2 hot cam. New valves and valve seals, Valves are all in spec and its in time(marks match, lobes pointing down) The odd thing is ran perfectly before I tore it down. It was apart for about a month. Well my first problem was my battery sucked so I bought a new one. Even with a new battery still wouldnt start on its own(even with starting fluid) If you push start it runs amazing has tons of power but wont idle. Tried messing with the idle screw didnt do a thing. Tried different jets and even tried a whole different carb off of another running 02 400. Still wouldnt start or idle but if you push started it ran perfectly(with diff carb) Any ideas? I have spark but I dont think its enough to start on just the battery(even had the charger on it) Right after I rebuilt it I tried a different coil but still didnt start that was before it was running at all tho. What else it left to check? I have 2 weeks to get it running and really miss riding so please hopefully someone can help me out!

junior636
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
What carb are you using? Have you taken the float bowl off and cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air?

junior636
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=485722

I just spent the weekend with a similiar problem that ended up being a dirty carb, didn't fix it until I put compressed air to the carb to clean it out.

powerbomb400
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
What size jets did you try? Once you got it running it ran good but wouldn't idle. If you were sitting still you could rev the motor and it would run but not idle? I'm sure that CJM can give you some insight on the problem.

mittman
04-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Im using the stock carb with jet's I had left over, main is like a 154 and 42(I think) The carb has been cleaned. It wont idle period warm or cold. At the point of where its going to shut off it you hold the throttle it will run steady. But I also tried a stock carb and it still did the same thing. No start with ether, had to push start it.

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Ok if you have tried to difference carb and it wont idle with ether then i'm guess that carb isn't the problem its something in the motor i think.

mittman
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
I've been over the motor at least 10 times check the valves 5 times at least checked that it was in time at least 5 times too. Motor runs too perfect for it to be the problem. My buddy says it runs like a bull with its nuts tied lol I think its something electrical.

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by mittman
I've been over the motor at least 10 times check the valves 5 times at least checked that it was in time at least 5 times too. Motor runs too perfect for it to be the problem. My buddy says it runs like a bull with its nuts tied lol I think its something electrical. Ok yup i would replace the coil and icm first.

junior636
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I am not sure if it makes a difference because I have an after market carb or not but im running a 180 main jet, on my 440. If it's lean it's not going to want to start. After you push start it and ride it what does the plug look like?

powerbomb400
04-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I believe it will take a bigger main and pilot since its a 440. If it was electrical it won't run at all or sporadic.

powerbomb400
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
If you look right above it most ask threads go to jetting and Pappy posted a chart to start with. Then you fine tune from there. Its got a 440 with a 190 main,42 pilot, needle on third notch with air mixture screw at 2.5 turns out.

mittman
04-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Here is another fyi for you the plug is on the black side so its getting enough fuel anyway. I figured it was getting enough fuel to ignite with electric start even with starting fluid it should at least pop but it doesnt.

powerbomb400
04-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Did you get your problem solved?

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
My 440 needs a 220 main jet and 52 pilot jet with a 450r carb.

Stock carb was 210 main 42 pilot, without those jets it ran like chit.

mittman
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Soo its been a long time since I posted. Never did get my problem figured out. Been busy with my new truck and spending money on it. Right now its sitting in the shed collecting dust. I just dont have the time or space to deal with it anymore. As much as I hate it im prob gonna take it to someone and get it figured it out. I hate just throwing money at it.