problem is about 2 times a year i will go to start it and it wont
similiar to bad intake valves
but it will be the cdi each time
i ride it hard and the races go 2.5hours
is this just normal?
or does someone know y?

trx400Rider
04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
I also have a 2006 450er with just basic modifications and having a hard starting issue. it seems like it wants to fire up but doesnt. I have to crank and crank it for ever.
I hope someone can help us out!

Foxhound013
04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
I had a buddy who had starting issues a while back. Finnaly he got the idea to look at his valves and they didn't look so good. Not clearance wise, he'd checked clearance and adjusted a few times. But his valves needed replaced. He replaced them and now it starts perfect

DnB_racing
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
ok ive got a 06 450er
hicomp piston
HC stage 2 cam
rossier exhaust
problem is about 2 times a year i will go to start it and it wont
similiar to bad intake valves
but it will be the cdi each time
i ride it hard and the races go 2.5hours
is this just normal?
or does someone know y? not normal at all

on a well grounded quad the stock cdi is very bullet proof, if the cdi is failing its probably a bad ground, or possibly a bad connection ,

is your ignition all stock?

you should do a peak voltage check on your high side, your cdi has 2 sides just like your alternator does, one for the low voltage charging and auxiliary circuit, and one side for your high voltage coil

the alternator high side should have a min of 45 volts that is boosted to a min of 100 volts from your cdi and then your coil will have a very high output (more then most average meters will check)

I would check your coil ground very good for any signs of heat or corrosion

you wouldnt have a kill switch hooked through the coil wire do you?

alot of people use the coil wire and ground as a kill insted of the cdi wire(blk/wht like stock) and cause all kinds of different spark issues

fomospede
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
not normal at all

on a well grounded quad the stock cdi is very bullet proof, if the cdi is failing its probably a bad ground, or possibly a bad connection ,

is your ignition all stock?

you should do a peak voltage check on your high side, your cdi has 2 sides just like your alternator does, one for the low voltage charging and auxiliary circuit, and one side for your high voltage coil

the alternator high side should have a min of 45 volts that is boosted to a min of 100 volts from your cdi and then your coil will have a very high output (more then most average meters will check)

I would check your coil ground very good for any signs of heat or corrosion

you wouldnt have a kill switch hooked through the coil wire do you?

alot of people use the coil wire and ground as a kill insted of the cdi wire(blk/wht like stock) and cause all kinds of different spark issues
ignition is all stock
the motor is out at the moment so the ground from battery to the engine is disconnected
there is no other ground to the chassis
is this enough ground or is this a probem?

DnB_racing
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
ignition is all stock
the motor is out at the moment so the ground from battery to the engine is disconnected
there is no other ground to the chassis
is this enough ground or is this a probem? dont forget there are actually 2 grounds, one ac and one dc

one from your battery to your block for starting and 12volt dc(lights, fan, charging, leds) and the other ground for your high voltage ac coil side, they are technically separate grounds

thibs101
04-04-2012, 11:32 AM
i was told from a mecanic a honda dealership that after a whille if my 450er had trouble starting up id have to buy a valve kit witch cost 250$. come with spings and valves. he said i should fix my starting isues