PDA

View Full Version : holeshots on a cr85

zach R 7x
04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Curious on what some of your thoughts are on what gear to holeshot in. We have been using first gear right now, but want to try second. The problem is I don't believe our stock 07 cr 85 motor will pull my 158 lbs son off the line w/o bogging. It actually struggles in first gear.

My thoughts were to go to a taller gear on the rear ( right now 14/48) and test it. My question is.... am I wasting my time with testing 2nd gear with a stock motor or is it posssible?

Our motor, like I said is stock, no porting , just has vforce reeds and fmf fatty gold series pipe. Have another motor in works, but this one will have to do for a few weeks.

djdfairchild
04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
i was wondering the same thing, and was told that its really hard to pull 2nd off the line, most national level riders still do first. if you dont get it perfect it will cost you. i run 13 47 with a stock motor, i like the low end it gives him and haven't ran out of top end yet.

edwardsp&b
04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
We tried it numerous times on our rm85 and kx65. Our kx is built and our rm is mildly built. Neither one would launch good in 2nd gear. I tried 14/48 and 50. Better but not what I want, so we just decided on 1st.
Bryan

zach R 7x
04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I only have a 46/48 for the rear, but have a 13 for the front. I was going to try the 13 on the front and see if it better or worse. I know these cr's are low on bottom end, so trying to pick up anywhere we can, plus add the weight of my son, makes it even harder.

I know a few people that are using second gear starts, but there kids are alot lighter than mine, plus they have stroked motors.

zach R 7x
04-05-2012, 04:54 AM
I put a 13 tooth sprocket on the front last night and did some testing. 2nd gear starts will work with this gearing, at least with the motor we have .

Zach actually liked the new gearing, because the motor pulled harder with it. What I don't know is how this will effect the top end. I know he is running 2nd and third and never touching 1st.

The test are taking place at a small track in my back yard, so if this restricts the top end , I won't know till we hit bigger track.

EJ Racing 07
07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
We run a 14 front and 49 rear with a stock RM 85 just V-Force and pipe. Rider weighs in at 75 plus gear and we do 2nd gear with really good results banging in the first corner with all the built motors. We also are running the smaller Razor Cross 18/6.5/8 tires. Will be switching to 9.5 Turf Tamers soon and we'll see if that effects his 2nd gear starts at all.