PDA

View Full Version : 416 valve settings

seasock519
04-01-2012, 07:38 PM
i have an 01 honda 400ex. i just put a 416 kit in it with 11:1 compression. i have to reset the valves. does anyone know where i should set them at? thanks guys

sheldo
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
what cam do u have

440rdr1
04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by seasock519
i have an 01 honda 400ex. i just put a 416 kit in it with 11:1 compression. i have to reset the valves. does anyone know where i should set them at? thanks guys

im in the process of doing a 11:1 416 as we speak....is it necessary to reset the valves and what can happen if you dont. i just went to the shop who is boring mine and he tested the valves for leaks by spraying some brake parts cleaner thru the ports and looked for leaks, said if nothing leaks thru don't worry about having them machined so i wanna make sure I'm not skipping a step.

seasock519
04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
stock cam in it. the only upgrade i have done to it is the 416 kit in it. Its ticking so iam hoping if i reset the valves it goes away.

440rdr1
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM
oh ok cool good luck

TheAwesomehonda
04-01-2012, 08:15 PM
stock cam in it. the only upgrade i have done to it is the 416 kit in it. Its ticking so iam hoping if i reset the valves it goes away. Ok it should be .10mm intake and .12mm exhaust and your ticking is probobly your cam chain so i wouldn't put your quad back together without putting in a new cam chain cuz its alot of work to have to do it after, beleave me i just finished doing that tonight.

TheAwesomehonda
04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 440rdr1
im in the process of doing a 11:1 416 as we speak....is it necessary to reset the valves and what can happen if you dont. i just went to the shop who is boring mine and he tested the valves for leaks by spraying some brake parts cleaner thru the ports and looked for leaks, said if nothing leaks thru don't worry about having them machined so i wanna make sure I'm not skipping a step. Anytime you take off your valve cover the valve cleanance needs to be check and reset.

seasock519
04-02-2012, 09:50 AM
The guy who put the 416 kit in said he put a new timing chain in

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
The guy who put the 416 kit in said he put a new timing chain in So you brought your motor somewhere and got the 416 and new cam chain? Does it still tick?

chronicsmoke
04-02-2012, 10:45 AM
It would be a good idea to install a cam while you're in there.. Just the bore/piston will give you some gains, but they will be amplified if you throw a Stage2 or equivilant into it..

Just a thought

300exBorg
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
It would be a good idea to install a cam while you're in there.. Just the bore/piston will give you some gains, but they will be amplified if you throw a Stage2 or equivilant into it..

Just a thought

Yup exactly what I was about to say. In my opinion it does not make much sense (unless money is an issue) to not put a new cam in while you've already got the top end apart.

seasock519
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Ok heres the story. Had the quad since 01 from my dads sponsership with the monster truck. Last winter i decided to buy a 416 weisco kit. I got it back and i had no problems wit it other then a few jetting/ carb settings. It sat in my garage from june 2011 till bout 2 weeks ago because i was off doing working on the trucks. It had jetting issues still. Was to rich nd was flooding the motor so it wouldnt start. When i fixed the jetting issues nd finally got it started it was ticking. My buddy said it could just be the vavles need to be reajusted it. And tht brings me to where iam at now. All tht is done to the quad is the 416 kit. And the air box has vents in it. Everything else is stock. For now.

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Ok heres the story. Had the quad since 01 from my dads sponsership with the monster truck. Last winter i decided to buy a 416 weisco kit. I got it back and i had no problems wit it other then a few jetting/ carb settings. It sat in my garage from june 2011 till bout 2 weeks ago because i was off doing working on the trucks. It had jetting issues still. Was to rich nd was flooding the motor so it wouldnt start. When i fixed the jetting issues nd finally got it started it was ticking. My buddy said it could just be the vavles need to be reajusted it. And tht brings me to where iam at now. All tht is done to the quad is the 416 kit. And the air box has vents in it. Everything else is stock. For now. Ok yeah then first adjust the valves before you tar open your motor and start replacing stuff.

seasock519
04-02-2012, 01:13 PM
ok this mite sound dumb but is there any reason why a 450 exhaust wouldnt working on my quad? i know the mount points will be different but i can fab new ones. and even if the pipes are different size i can make it fit. just didnt know if there is any other reason why they wouldnt fit.

TheAwesomehonda
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
ok this mite sound dumb but is there any reason why a 450 exhaust wouldnt working on my quad? i know the mount points will be different but i can fab new ones. and even if the pipes are different size i can make it fit. just didnt know if there is any other reason why they wouldnt fit. I think the silenser can cuz i saw a 400ex with a stock 450r silenser once but the header obeously wont work.