PDA

View Full Version : broken wrist help.

J51S
04-01-2012, 01:58 PM
I need some advice on any of you guys that have had a broken wrist and ride mx and jump. I had surgery last year on my rite wrist, its got pins in it.

Today I was practicing working on clearing 60ft table. I cased it one of the times everything was fine except the wrist instantly felt like pins and needs. Its a little swollen now gonna get it x-rayed tom to be sure.

My questing is I think the thumb throttle is causing the discomfort. Holding on to the bars tight and landing hard with my thumb out really irritating. I really don't want to go to a twist throttle. any suggestions?

mx450r919
04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Invest in a brace called "Allsport Dynamics Brace". They are kinda pricey, but my buddy has one, and he said it works miracles.

Pacheco_450r
04-01-2012, 06:53 PM
I broke my left wrist and sprained my right a few years back overshooting a double. I've never had problems with my left (one that broke) after it healed, but my right gives me problems sometimes, getting stiff or randomly sore at times, especially from riding. I almost wish I broke that one too so it would have healed right! I found that taking the extra time to warm up my hands and wrists really well before AND after riding or working out has helped prevent most of the pain. Hope you find something that works for you!

DnB_racing
04-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by J51S
I need some advice on any of you guys that have had a broken wrist and ride mx and jump. I had surgery last year on my rite wrist, its got pins in it.

Today I was practicing working on clearing 60ft table. I cased it one of the times everything was fine except the wrist instantly felt like pins and needs. Its a little swollen now gonna get it x-rayed tom to be sure.

My questing is I think the thumb throttle is causing the discomfort. Holding on to the bars tight and landing hard with my thumb out really irritating. I really don't want to go to a twist throttle. any suggestions? I hate to say this but no brace will really help, it helps as long as you land good, but any rough landing will still hurt

yes a twist will help some but it will take a while to get used to, and might cause more damage till you get used to it

get some good shocks that are setup properly, a set of flex bars or a precession bar clamps, but nothing will stop you from feeling the pain if you land wrong..

i broke mine 3 years ago and still have problems to this day,

you cant let it slow you down, the more you think about it, the more you hesitate and hold up slightly and this for sure will create more problems

if you feel like it will affect your timing and jumping, and you have any doubts then you will land bad and hurt yourself..

either completely forget that you have any pain, or dont jump,

if you hold back to try to not hurt yourself then you will definitely not be riding to your potential...

a wrist injury can be a career end-er its all up to you,

this might not be what you want to here but you have to decide can you ride 100% with no fear or do you stop getting big air

dont kill yourself or someone else, if you cant put it behind you, there's no shame in realizing that you just cant do it.

if you feel this is what will take you into the future and have the ability to be the best then you know what you need to do but if you are just riding for fun then dont kill yourself or others by hesitating

sorry for being a downer but its more then your wrist that is a stake ... only you know whats right and if it affects your abilities

Pacheco_450r
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Dnb has got it right! To add on what Dnb said and my previous post; confidence is huge in this sport but it's even bigger when coming back from an injury. Before my break I had no fear and I rode really well. After getting back into riding it took a LONG time to regain my confidence.

Second guessing, doubting yourself or fearing pain will cause bad things sooner or later! If you trust in your skill and abilities and don't think about your past or possible injuries then you will succeed and you will ride a lot safer and a lot smoother!

z400bs
04-01-2012, 08:31 PM
i cased a 90 foot jump like 2 years ago and broke my wrist. Its all healed up now but if i take a hard hit it still will hurt. wrist braces help a little but it still hurts. It really takes a while to build your strength back up in your wrist.

J51S
04-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies. And DNB your right about confidence, hitting jumps second guessing is never a good thing. I guess Ive just been really eager to jump back into it and go big not taking into consideration its a serious sport. My bike is also setup to my weight for mx.

I think the main thing that got my wrist was me keeping my thumb on the throttle when I was landing. Almost more my hand swollen then my wrist rite now.

If I could do it again I would just let off the throttle and gripped the bar. Landing hard with my thumb extended really messed it up lol

I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I will be racing Southwick at the end of the month

:confused:

Again thanks for the support fellas

d3ktrix
04-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Flexx bars make a MASSSSSSIVE difference, esp when you mess up.
For normal smooth riding u won't notice much of a difference, but when u land sideways or case something, they will save you big time.
My right wrist is messed up from a crash in 09, if it wasn't for the flexx bars I probably wouldn't even bother riding.

florentino
04-02-2012, 01:29 AM
fat bars with the precision bar clamps is the way to go.

flexx bars suck. i had them both. i have also broken both my hands one with the flex bars and one with out the flex bars.

a damper will help alot

chronicsmoke
04-02-2012, 06:40 AM
I too have wrist issues, I picked up a skateboard yesterday and it instantly inflammed my wrist, just by picking it up..

What would be better for wrist injuries, the Flexx bars or the clamps? I have an anti-vibe stem and a steering stabilizer, but i'm worried about jarring it during a race on big hits.. Who else has experience with both?

J51S
04-02-2012, 07:14 AM
I guess I should look into flex bars, never hear of them until now. Currently running +1 ant vibe stem with pro-taper mids.

atvrider13
04-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Every wrist injury is different. I had 2 diferent ones and both healed differently. I used a good wristbrace and it seemed to help with the discomfort and seeemed to take some of the harsh jolts away. After a year or so i stopped using one. I would say flexx bars and/ or precision clamps and a good brace will help you. I think ai got an athletic brace at Dicks Sporting goods.

J51S
04-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Ya I guess its better to be safe than sorry. I'll look into flex bars and the brace.

On a good note the Dr said its a bad sprain:D So that was a relief

B.C.#11TRX400EX
04-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Haha I broke my left wrist 5 weeks ago from comin up short and diving into the middle of a double on my EX, but I hear the wrist wrap pro from SixSixOne works well, I have a fatbar but im thinkin I might get the precision bar clamps too, to help it out a little better