PDA

View Full Version : 440 with FCR will not start

junior636
03-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I just rode my quad last weekend and everything was great. Its a 440 with a 41mm FCR carb. Now it will not start, I spent the whole day trying to figure it out. Checked the timing, it has spark, new plug, had the silencer off this week so I pulled the header just to make sure a mouse or something hadn't got in there. The carb is getting gas to the float bowl but I dont think it's putting any fuel to the motor. You can turn it over and over and it doesn't even try to fire and after awhile it will backfire. My buddy had suggested that the fly wheel key may have sheared but the timing is still spot on, so that doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas on what to check or how to check getting gas to the motor? The accelerator pump set up seems suspect to me as it doesn't seem to be functioning properly.

TheAwesomehonda
03-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Well if you have the stock carb you could put that on and see if it will run. Just a thought. Also can you smell gas on your spark plug once you've been trying to start it?

Stickman400
03-31-2012, 08:32 PM
I know someone's gunna say it so I'm throwing it out there. Kill switch?

junior636
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Nah if it were the kill switch it wouldn't even turn over. I might try the stock carb but I'm not sure if I have a jet that will work for it. I bought this quad with the motor done so a lot of these parts im just learning about. I don't know if the stock carb is even any good.

Stickman400
03-31-2012, 08:56 PM
If you have the stock headlight/starter switch setup then it will turn over forever if you have the switch to the left or right of center. I'm sure yours is in the middle and it's some other issue but I've had this same problem and traced **** for days and it ended up being the killswitch.

Duf6
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Do you mean it turns over but does'nt fire?

junior636
03-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
If you have the stock headlight/starter switch setup then it will turn over forever if you have the switch to the left or right of center. I'm sure yours is in the middle and it's some other issue but I've had this same problem and traced **** for days and it ended up being the killswitch.

Yeah all the factory switches are gone.

junior636
03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Duf6
Do you mean it turns over but does'nt fire?

Correct, it turns over fine and has spark but just doesn't fire at all. All I can come up is that it's not getting gas to the motor. The carb is full out gas but I'm pretty sure it's not getting out of the carb.

CJM
03-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Clean the carb. Those FCR carbs usually have sticky float/float needles. Seen it myself more than a few times.

Your sure it has spark, you actually witnessed it sparking?

junior636
04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, ive tried everything, even checked the kill switch. I still think it's the carb but I took that apart and cleaned it several times. Am I wrong that if the flywheel key had sheared that the timing marks would be off? I checked the timing and it's right on if the key sheared I wouldn't think it would line up. I just really don't know what to think. Took it out and it ran awesome, next time I tried to fire it up it won't start.

junior636
04-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Got it running, it was the carb. I thought it was weird the accelerator pump wasn't functioning right. I don't have my compressor hooked up at home so I had to go to work and blow it out and now it fires right up. Amazing a grain of dirt will ruin your whole weekend!