PDA

View Full Version : clutch/stator case paint wear ideas

400ex_alldayy
03-31-2012, 04:18 PM
hey all, so im working on my ex again and ive painted the cylinder and head, figured i may as well paint the bottom end too. The stock coating on the two covers is tough but still "rubs" off after extensive riding right in the heel area. I know the paint i put on probably wont be as strong as the stuff from the factory so my question is this, is there some kind of a adhesive cover i could put over the main wear spots? i was maybe thinking skateboard grip tape? i think that may be too rough tho and will take the paint off the case if i pull the tape off...im sure a lot of guys on here have had this issue on many machines, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stickman400
03-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I think this in the clear is want you are looking for. It's basically adhesive plastic clear coat. Reviews aren't that great though.
http://www.motosport.com/atv/FACTORY-EFFEX-GRIP-TAPE-SHEET

400ex_alldayy
03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
yeah that looks just like skateboard tape, as long as it isnt so sticky that when i go to replace it, it doesnt take paint off n **** than it'll do it, think i may buy some skate tape and put it on some painted stuff for a week with a weight on it or somthing and see how hard it is to pull off....i actually just thought of the headlight films they put on to protect them maybe?? prolly check them out too, may not be sticky enough tho lol

JOHNDOE83
04-01-2012, 08:23 AM
I painted mine black with rustoleum engine paint, looks great and held up without chipping or scratching for 3 years now.

400ex_alldayy
04-01-2012, 09:15 AM
no way, i figured these engine paints are pretty good now, but with a mx boot rubbing all over it, i figured it would wear off...ill prolly give it a go without any guarding and see how it holds up, my machine shop guy said the paint im using is the best he has used so fingers crossed lol

D3structive
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
you would probably get some good life out of 2 coats of industrial epoxy (mastic 90) and then 2 coats of industrial urethane (not poly-urethane) companies like carboline, international, or sherwin williams has the paint. it's what we use on bridges and the paint is beastly.