PDA

View Full Version : axle carrier

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey should there be about 1/8th inch of play in that sleeve inside the carrier between the bearings?? I'm decreasing the axle on the quad and nothing looks damaged or odd and both bearings still roll smooth. Just wondering if this is normal or if i should try to press the bearings in a bit to tighten up that gap. I don't remember what it was like the last tome o had this open

03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
absolutely not,thats what allows you to tighten then locknut to max without damaging the bearings.

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Absolutely not to which?? There being play in the carrier sleeve or to trying to press them in a bit?

03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
no to the play,that sleeve is designed to ride on the inner races.definately try to press them in if you can't insert the retainer rings.if you can insert the retainer rings it is probably time for a new sleeve.

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
OK thanks

03-30-2012, 05:34 PM
your welcome

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Steve89x
Hey should there be about 1/8th inch of play in that sleeve inside the carrier between the bearings?? I'm decreasing the axle on the quad and nothing looks damaged or odd and both bearings still roll smooth. Just wondering if this is normal or if i should try to press the bearings in a bit to tighten up that gap. I don't remember what it was like the last tome o had this open So i'm not quiet sure what your talking about. Can you explain where the play is?

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Inside the carrier housing, the carrier sleeve has about 1/8th of movement between the bearings on each side..nothing looks damaged or worn so in gonna see which bearing it is that has moved and press it back snug and regrease everything

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Steve89x
Inside the carrier housing, the carrier sleeve has about 1/8th of movement between the bearings on each side..nothing looks damaged or worn so in gonna see which bearing it is that has moved and press it back snug and regrease everything http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX400EX/SWINGARM So the #2 in that diagram is moving around in there?

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Yes just side to side slightly, it might of be just been from when taking everything apart, I never had any noises or anything out of ordinary come from the rear and like I said nothing is worn, the complete carrier and sleeve and bearings were just replaced Under 2 years ago

03-30-2012, 06:16 PM
yea steve there should be no play.....the inside of the sprocket hub presses against the outside of the left bearing,inside of left bearing presses against sleeve,sleeve presses against inside of left bearing,outside of right bearing presses against the inner part of the locknut.you should be able to grab a 2 ft pipe wrench and apply way more force than you would think to the nut to tighten it.that's how the system works.if there is play you will ruin the bearings.you may not see wear. i dont see wear on cam lobes/rockers but it happens and is present when they are out of spec and or is play.replace that sleeve and bearings if they are 2 years old.

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
Ok yeah I wouldn't worry about it if your axle has no play and there is no noise.

03-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Ok yeah I wouldn't worry about it if your axle has no play and there is no noise.

great advice....dont listen to him unless you want to replace bearings once a month.:rolleyes:

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
great advice....dont listen to him unless you want to replace bearings once a month.:rolleyes: OH yeah i forgot we all need to bow down to you twice a day cuz your always right!!! Screw you man :devil: :devil: :devil:

03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
lol well am i wrong?? quit giving horrible advice.put down the keyboard and go play some cod or something.telling this guy dont worry about.wtf is wrong with you and what purpose are you serving here other than be generally annoying,give only opinions and bad advice.then argue about it????????????????????????????dam kids

Steve89x
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Ya thumper I didn't think there should be play either, that why i just thought I would ask, I actually have another pair of bearings and sleeve I bought when i bought the housing, didn't know it would come as an assembly

03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
perfect.cool u dont have to wait for the shipment.that can get annoying,especially on the small stuff.glad you asked about it,those bearings can last a long time or no time if everything isn't right.

CJM
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Lets play nice cmon guys...

@TheAwesomehonda: You need to learn more before you answer some things. Ive seen alot of advice you give thats wrong, its ok to be wrong-its not ok to get your panties in a bunch over it when your corrected.

03-30-2012, 06:55 PM
and i suppose i could be a little less aggravated with it.....its just hard and i dont wanna see someone waste time and money with nonsensical stuff.sorry awesomehonda.....and thx cjm for stepping in there.always the voice of reason,i like this guy......but not like that dont get weird.

CJM
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
:D

powerbomb400
03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
The outer race of the bearing will stop at the bearing seat. If the inner race of the bearing has play then replace the bearings. That would be the only thing to cause play in the spacer.

powerbomb400
03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
yea steve there should be no play.....the inside of the sprocket hub presses against the outside of the left bearing,inside of left bearing presses against sleeve,sleeve presses against inside of left bearing,outside of left bearing presses against the inner part of the locknut.you should be able to grab a 2 ft pipe wrench and apply way more force than you would think to the nut to tighten it.that's how the system works.if there is play you will ruin the bearings.you may not see wear. i dont see wear on cam lobes/rockers but it happens and is present when they are out of spec and or is play.replace that sleeve and bearings if they are 2 years old.

Where's the right side bearing at?Lol

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
lol well am i wrong?? quit giving horrible advice.put down the keyboard and go play some cod or something.telling this guy dont worry about.wtf is wrong with you and what purpose are you serving here other than be generally annoying,give only opinions and bad advice.then argue about it????????????????????????????dam kids Ok buddy settle down and pull the rod out of your butt cuz i'm some theres one in there...... If the thread starter thinks he needs a new bearing carrier then he can buy one i'm just sayin that if the axle is tight and it don't wobble or make lots of noise he is probobly OK or am i wrong about that to??????

03-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Ok buddy settle down and pull the rod out of your butt cuz i'm some theres one in there...... If the thread starter thinks he needs a new bearing carrier then he can buy one i'm just sayin that if the axle is tight and it don't wobble or make lots of noise he is probobly OK or am i wrong about that to??????

lol new bearing carrier what?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-helmet-7500-combo.html

here you go man its on sale and everything...u know,so you dont hurt yourself on the way the the bus stop.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=short+bus&id=6F086E1C213D7A7DDED2DC9B74AFBE7F3AEB1A6A&FORM=IQFRBA

03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Where's the right side bearing at?Lol

where's the help at?as i stated in another post,truly an ASSet to the forum.thanks man

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 09:03 PM
lol new bearing carrier what?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-hockey-helmet-7500-combo.html

here you go man its on sale and everything...u know,so you dont hurt yourself on the way the the bus stop.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=short+bus&id=6F086E1C213D7A7DDED2DC9B74AFBE7F3AEB1A6A&FORM=IQFRBA So your telling me that you forgot to take your anger or stupid management pills today well that ok just don't post on this forum cuz your OFF SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh i forgot only u can say that

b0rn c0nfused
03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Well now that you 2 got that out of the way. To the OP, I just replaced my bearings and there was a small amout of play in the sleeve in between the 2 bearings. I believe thats how its suppose to be. Anybody feel free to correct me besides awesome honda and paxcthumper.:devil:

03-30-2012, 09:11 PM
i feel its ok to post off topic once the horse has been beaten to death by you yammering about requiring me to keep posting relevant info as i talk sh** to you..are you keeping up here.....i.e. powerbomb the right side bearing is on the right side.

see how that works fellas.................next

TheAwesomehonda
03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
i feel its ok to post off topic once the horse has been beaten to death by you yammering about requiring me to keep posting relevant info as i talk sh** to you..are you keeping up here.....i.e. powerbomb the right side bearing is on the right side.

see how that works fellas.................next Ok man your not funny and this forum is for people who what to talk about atvs not listen to you!!!! so i sigjest you stop posting before you get this thread deleted and your user account...

01boneless
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
woah guys take it easy now!:blah:

03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok man your not funny and this forum is for people who what to talk about atvs not listen to you!!!! so i sigjest you stop posting before you get this thread deleted and your user account...

lol,pot calling the kettle black.didn't i say this to you like 4 threads ago?to salvage the thread,if at all possible,i'm out.thx for the contribution and all the useful information.get your last words in,thats all they'll be.

dxcody
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
2. Leave the flamers to the moderators, don't respond.
3. Refrain from swearing, making sexual and drug references,or creating alternate usernames.

Well this thread has broken all 3 of those rules..

Lets STOP the fighting.

Its seriously pointless.

01boneless
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
back on track... a tiny bit of play is "ok" you want to try and get the bearings in tight as possible to eliminate the play. id say you will be fine just will have to replace your bearings sooner than normal,would it be a better idea to replace the sleve? YES but its not a must ive changed carrier bearings and there was play on that sleve just aslong as its not massive and your rear end has no play when tight next time the bearings go replace it. just my .02 cents

Scro
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM

see how that works fellas.................next

You've been nothing but trouble. See how that works....next.