PDA

View Full Version : im stumped..

01boneless
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Well guys i have about 1.5 hrs on my new motor and ever since i first started it and jetted it it runs awsome at WOT but u have to ease into it, if ur going slow and stab it it boggs and dies and is hard to start back up. but like i said if u ease into the throttle and stab it it takes off fast. so i though maybe it needed jetted better so i took it to the shop. they played with jetting and found that it dosent notice jetting changes such as drop the main to 118 it feals the same as 180 or 190 and still has the bogg when hammered. so its got to be electrical they tested coil and stator there both putting out good number and are fine. the only thing they dident test was CDI could that be bad??

AtvKid4Eva
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
i dont think your CDI would cause what your describing. I believe you are still off in your jetting. Whats your needle set at, A/F and pilot size? Do you run an airbox lid?

01boneless
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
idk about jetting man i mean it dosent notice NY changes in jets or needle clips ect ive tried sizes 160-195 and piliots 45 48 and 50 hrc needle on every clip a/f screw set every where and it always runs the same. no lid its got a dasa intake ported head +1 exhaust valves 12:1 compression full nmotion,uni on the dasa intake hotcam stage 2
right now its at 180 main 48 piliot 2.25 turns 3 rd clip hrc needle runs H.A.M at wot and low rpms if u ease into it

slainwarrior
03-30-2012, 12:30 PM
try unplugging the tps on the carb ive heard of that giving people issues... and ive known people that had tested there stator and even tho it tested good it was still bad they didnt know until they swapped it with another

01boneless
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by slainwarrior
try unplugging the tps on the carb ive heard of that giving people issues... and ive known people that had tested there stator and even tho it tested good it was still bad they didnt know until they swapped it with another
hmm ok i wish i had someone to swap the stator with :/ and the carb is brand spanking new but ill unplug the tps anyway what does it even do?

Balaz_73*00
03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
This may sound dumb but make sure you gas cap breather hose is clear

01boneless
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
ok lol BTW ive tried to well working carbs and its the same

slainwarrior
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
well if the carbs good, and the rubber intake manifold isnt cracked which it shouldn't be since the bikes not 20 years old, and be sure your exhaust isnt leaking where it seats into the head... then its probably a ignition problem i could be wrong but its the only logical thing i can think of it sucks you dont have a buddy you could swap parts with to try and narrow down your problem... have you tried checking your ground wire??? could be a little corroded and the vibrations are making it cut in and out

mx450r919
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Bryson, I know you're gona kill me when I say this, but are you100% POSTIVE, you have you thing in time? That's what could cause an issue. Bruno could've ported it sightly different and caused your problems, give him a call.

01boneless
03-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mx450r919
Bryson, I know you're gona kill me when I say this, but are you100% POSTIVE, you have you thing in time? That's what could cause an issue. Bruno could've ported it sightly different and caused your problems, give him a call.

its spot on in time ive checked it couple times. and the porting is fine it isent a crazy port job anyway.
oh slain warrier all the grounds are good my friend is loaning me a cdi to try that then if that dosent work ill try a stator then if no cigar time for a fcr carb i guess

8secnotch
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Its sounds like u have a vacuum leak some where. I would check betweeen the carb and cylinder, start it up let it idle and spray some carb cleaner around that area and see if u get any change in rpms. Or the timing is off but u said u checked it a couple of times.

01boneless
03-31-2012, 12:03 PM
lol ive checked that many of times like i said ive went through the basics jetting air leaks timming ect

310ESR
03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Sounds to me like problem in the accelerator pump not squirting, or a leak jet problem. The leak jet should be around a 50 to start.

01boneless
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
did i mention its a stock 05 carb? im planning on upgrading to the fcr in sooner than later

2001400exrida
04-01-2012, 07:35 AM
it's definitely your jetting.

try this. Put a 45 pilot, 180 main, and the needle on the 4th clip from the top.

I garuntee if you do this, you will have your problem fixed. If you're making jet changes you need to be doing it on the pilot and a/f circuit. that's why your main jet is ok, if it runs fine at WOT. But when you first push the throttle and that's when it's stuttering then it's your pilot and or your a/f screw. simple as that.

there is no leak jet on the 04/05 carb so ignore anybody that said that.

DnB_racing
04-01-2012, 08:35 AM
if youve exhausted all jetting combinations and intake and fuel issues

then I have some concerns about your setup

who did your port work? it could be a combination of things causing the bog,
your exhaust and intake and porting and cam might not be working together ...

i forget did you change valve size?

did your machinist doing the port understand the other parts you are using, it could be a flow issue

and I doubt its your stator... most times it will fail at wot or just stop all together more then low end... but anything is possible,

but I would be looking at cam and pipe selection to be sure it matches the flow of your port work

01boneless
04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
its most definitly not my port work done by a well know porter who has build a few national bikes all porting was to match the oversize exhaust valves cam intake and pipe

DnB_racing
04-01-2012, 08:59 AM
if your confident about the setup... then it almost has to be carb related, whether it be jetting or something causing a blockage or leak

have you given the carb a real good going over,and blown out with compressed air and to make sure all jets, passages, and seals are in top condition and free from any buildup

also as someone mentioned previously make sure the vent tube isn't causing any issues, Ive seen the small check valve style tubes cause bogging issues

I see you said all grounds are good, just a question ....make sure there is no dielectric grease between the contacting points, sometimes people get a little over excited when applying the dielectric grease then when they take it apart some gets between the contact points and caused very weird and erratic problems

01boneless
04-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
if your confident about the setup... then it almost has to be carb related, whether it be jetting or something causing a blockage or leak

have you given the carb a real good going over,and blown out with compressed air and to make sure all jets, passages, and seals are in top condition and free from any buildup

also as someone mentioned previously make sure the vent tube isn't causing any issues, Ive seen the small check valve style tubes cause bogging issues

I see you said all grounds are good, just a question ....make sure there is no dielectric grease between the contacting points, sometimes people get a little over excited when applying the dielectric grease then when they take it apart some gets between the contact points and caused very weird and erratic problems
yea like i said its a brand new stock oem carb, it done it when i first got done with the original carb so i just bought a brand new one its been gone all over it was even at a honda dealer and they couldent get rid of the bog, grounds are good. coil tested good, they said stator tested good aswell but IDK. i have anew cdi coming wendsday or thursday im gonna try a 45 piliot i guess idk if i should go ahead and grab a new stator or do the FCR carb swap....

fastredrider44
04-01-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm also going to say your jetting is still off, or carb related. As far as stators go, I've seen them work, or not work. No middle ground. So you have the TPS and "heater" plugged in?

01boneless
04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I'm also going to say your jetting is still off, or carb related. As far as stators go, I've seen them work, or not work. No middle ground. So you have the TPS and "heater" plugged in?
yup tps and heater plugged in just boggs if u snap it say coming out of a corner and slam it she boggs and dies and is real hard to start back up even with hot start. but at WOT it goes hard! and no one thinks the stator could be breaking down and picking up at higher rpms? they said it tested good but idk about this shop

2001400exrida
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
you took it to a honda dealer and they could not figure it out?

sometimes if the stator is going bad it will still read proper voltage when tested, but can still be bad. i would suggest buying a new stator a trying that, why in the world did you buy a brand new oem carb? i bet that cost some high dollar, and why not purchase the fcr instead?

since you have apparently tried everything on gods green earth, i would definitely suggest contacting your engine builder.

if the honda dealer couldn't fix it, and didn't have any advice, it's most likely not the carb, not a vaccum leak, not the stator, not the tps, i'd say this is some freak thing going on with your build.

AtvKid4Eva
04-01-2012, 06:53 PM
the honda dealer not being able to fix it doesn't surprise me one bit. All the ones here in OH are full of idiots. That would be the LAST place i take my bike to be worked on.

01boneless
04-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
the honda dealer not being able to fix it doesn't surprise me one bit. All the ones here in OH are full of idiots. That would be the LAST place i take my bike to be worked on.

belive i dident like it one bit... my paint being scratched pis*** me off but whatev's. also just a small update i have a spare 450r carb that i funneled gas into and gas throttle with my hand to see when the ac pump starts sqirting gas...to my surprise as it is set up for a stock engine it dosent start sqirting untill the slide is 1/8 or so up so i took the arm off and adjusted the ac pump so that it will shoot gas the seconed u bump the throttle.. im gonna try that then a 45 piliot if none works im gonna buy a stator if that dont work idk maybe fcr carb but there's no reason i cant dial a stock carb it ..i mean its a pretty built motor but ive seen +3 drag ported engines still have stock carb...

01boneless
04-01-2012, 07:46 PM
ever been to jackson OH

2001400exrida
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

they still know how to get a machine in tune, they usually have at least one tech that is familiar with the machine since they work on honda's everday. Our Honda dealer is actually really good around here, they build race bikes and quads for the local AMA guys, and they have several sponsored riders. I go in there and talk motors whenever i get a chance. I don't buy many parts or repairs from them but i do like to talk about stuff. They know alot about the honda's that for sure.

the honda dealer most likely checked all the stuff that you have already gone through, so as i mentioned before it sounds like you need to talk to your engine builder or your carb attempts have not been set correctly.

01boneless
04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
they still know how to get a machine in tune, they usually have at least one tech that is familiar with the machine since they work on honda's everday. Our Honda dealer is actually really good around here, they build race bikes and quads for the local AMA guys, and they have several sponsored riders. I go in there and talk motors whenever i get a chance. I don't buy many parts or repairs from them but i do like to talk about stuff. They know alot about the honda's that for sure.

the honda dealer most likely checked all the stuff that you have already gone through, so as i mentioned before it sounds like you need to talk to your engine builder or your carb attempts have not been set correctly.
only thing they checked was the stator and coil......

01boneless
04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
bump? im gonna adjust the ac pump and try a smaller piliot and as for carb issues thats all i know to try. if those dont work ill try cdi, stator then if thats a fail ill upgrade to fcr then if thats a fail ill idk scrap it hahaha

slainwarrior
04-05-2012, 06:58 AM
have you had any luck yet?

01boneless
04-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by slainwarrior
have you had any luck yet?

went all thro the electrical and everything looks good. the problem got worse its not just a bog it sputters and chokes,....its between the stator or cdi those are the only things i havent replaced

wckedclownz69
04-17-2012, 11:06 PM
does it get worse when it gets fully warmed up?

01boneless
04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
no