PDA

View Full Version : With some parts stronger will it hurt other parts worse?

NoWingNoPrayer
03-04-2003, 01:54 AM
well basicly i know the answer but i dont think many people take this into considereration. i know when i baught renthals i had previosly never bent a stem. since then i have bent 3.

now i am wondering if i buy a stronger stem and subframe. what kind of affect will that have on my Frame? i know it cant be good and i really dont want to put out the extra bucks to get a new frame.
will the stock frame hold up to the stronger new parts?

Ex'r Marlin
03-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Yes, what you are saying makes sense.

I too have gone with aftermarket products to help make my atv "bullet proof"... But I try to pick and choose wisely. The last thing I want to do is damage an expensive component of the atv due to replacing a part that effects the component with a stronger one. (ie. tie rod).

Note: Going with a stronger handle bar, like in your case Renthal, I would have reduced the snugness of the handlebar clamp to the handlebars. This would allow the handlebar to collapse and hopefully before bending your steering stem.

DantheEXman
03-04-2003, 06:42 PM
I am in the same boat.. I had a stock stem with renthals and tipped it on its side, it bent the bars a little and the stem alot, and then i got a new stock stem thinking i wasnt going to let it happen again and even got a beautiful pc job done on it by pappy and the other day i tipped it again... So the top of the stem is bent a little now, and my bars are tweeked... I will loosen the clamps becuase that is why they bent in the first place... But i dont know if i shoud just get a burgard anti-vib stem and some tag T2 bars or just get a new stock stem again... Im afraid with the stronger stem and bars that i will eather bend the stem and then not be able to fix it and waste my money or even worse, ruin a larger part of the quad because of it... Someone help me out...:confused: :grr

Ex'r Marlin
03-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
I dont know if i shoud just get a burgard anti-vib stem and some tag T2 bars or just get a new stock stem again... Im afraid with the stronger stem and bars that i will eather bend the stem and then not be able to fix it and waste my money or even worse, ruin a larger part of the quad because of it.Well, if you get an aftermarket steering stem, it should be stronger than the stock one that you may find bends easily. I have heard from riders on here bending their aftermarket steering stem. Obviously, the potential to bend an aftermarket one is there, just not as easy.

I can not see the harm in having a stronger steering stem to where it will affect another part of your quad other than your handlebars.

I personally recommend the aftermarket steering stem, if you can afford it, for other reasons than just the fact that it is stronger. The weak link will be the handlebars, but hopefully they will collapse before bending.... Like in my experiences. :D

Note: I like my Tag 2 and Roll Design +1" setup... So far it has handle the abuse of a couple roll overs.:rolleyes: Now if someone can come out with stronger grips!!!!:blah

Hope this helps! Good luck.

NoWingNoPrayer
03-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Sweet! that acctually helped alot. i got some good answers on this thread.

Thanks, Dustin.