PDA

View Full Version : Rock Beadlocks?

HondaRacing83
03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/ROCK-STANDARD-BEADLOCK-WHEEL-REAR-9X8
Thought about getting them in the future. Anyone got experience with them? I know Rock isnt the best stuff but they are really cheap. If they are no good I'm just gonna get some ITP BAJA rears and buy itp baja fronts off 250x kyle if he still has them. not looking to now but in the future

400man
03-29-2012, 12:00 AM
wow those are priced pretty cheap. I think I paid like $200 for my rear beadlocks off ebay and they were used and missing half the bolts. I'd deffinatly go with those over the baja wheels.

chronicsmoke
03-29-2012, 05:50 AM
That's a pretty decent price.. Keep an eye out on the different forums. I picked up my black ITP beadlocks WITH tires for 300$ (fronts and rears...)

TacicalRedneck
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
http://www.motosport.com/atv/ROCK-STANDARD-BEADLOCK-WHEEL-REAR-9X8
Thought about getting them in the future. Anyone got experience with them? I know Rock isnt the best stuff but they are really cheap. If they are no good I'm just gonna get some ITP BAJA rears and buy itp baja fronts off 250x kyle if he still has them. not looking to now but in the future

don't get them, your just going to be out money when one bends.
Go for DWT beadlocks... you won't be sorry.

Carbon fiber hipers: modular, but shatter and are hard to install without shattering the bead.
Aluminum DWT: They are strong and lighter than what you think.
ITP beadlocks: my buddie had some, the 1st day of hard riding they came out bent.
ITP baja: don't get them... you'll wind up selling them looking for a real beadlock.
Other beadlocks: i wouldn't chance it, chances are they are thin, even if you get a great deal, its not going to be worth it when you have to go out and buy a new set.

beastlywarrior
03-30-2012, 03:20 PM
I still like my non beadlock or oem wheels best

TacicalRedneck
03-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
I still like my non beadlock or oem wheels best

Yea they are strong but wont keep your tire on the bead like a beadlock... And beadlocks look awesome

03-30-2012, 03:37 PM
you know everything inside me wants to tell you no dont do it,you get wht you pay for generally.however they are .160 thickness and the part i like most is they use 12 bolts to secure tires as opposed the 8 that itp uses.after seeing what we've done to itp wheels in one weekend i'll never buy them or recommend them,any model,period.with proper tire pressure you could be just fine.that being said,these wheels will certainly be a gamble the question is are you feeling lucky?you're going to have 180 plus shipping tied up in these,i would honestly hold out for another 140 and get the dwt's than waste over 200 just to start over again.

dxcody
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Like PAxc said, its a gamble but that the same time, rock, Though not top quality by any means, is a decent brand, i mean i love their nerfs.

DWT makes one of the best beadlocks. Its close between them and Hiper.

I dont care what anyone says, Hiper makes an awesome wheel. It takes ALOT to shatter a hiper beadlock, though it is possible, it would take some time and extremely hard riding.

Borich rode on a flat tire at Mountain Ridge last year for over half the race and it never shattered. And thats one of the hardest riders in America, arguably the hardest rider in the world.

I have personally never seen a Hiper wheel shatter or even break.

DWT is nice also. But its your call.

There are good, there are bad, and there are OK. Im thinking the Rocks would fall under the OK catagory.

03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
yea dwt is just top notch especially on beadlocks,the only comparable/better would be omf in the aluminum category.i've seen hipers break but who knows what people did to them exactly.i mean they are meant to be run with air in the tires or atleast having tire balls as a back-up.the only thing that makes me skeptical on them is on the tech 3s with all the inner/outer bolts plus the bolts on the locks there's alot that can go wrong,too many variables.cf1s seem like they would be fine and honestly i would pick up some if i could find them cheap used in decent shape.i always miss the thread by a few hours and they're gone.

CJM
03-30-2012, 06:59 PM
The OEM type wheels are VERY strong, it takes quite alot to run them. Such as me hitting a tree-taco'd the wheel but it still held air!

If I were to look for an economical beadlock Id try the STI bead locks. They have 10 bolts and are quite heavy duty from what I gather,.

If I wanted regular wheels Id buy the rocky mtn g-force xc1's.

Still the stock wheels are very tough.

dxcody
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
The OEM type wheels are VERY strong, it takes quite alot to run them. Such as me hitting a tree-taco'd the wheel but it still held air!

If I were to look for an economical beadlock Id try the STI bead locks. They have 10 bolts and are quite heavy duty from what I gather,.

If I wanted regular wheels Id buy the rocky mtn g-force xc1's.

Still the stock wheels are very tough.

Those G force wheels seem to have excellent ratings and a great price for them too.

I saw them advertise back in 2010 on a Racertv and looked into them.

03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
it must be but i'll ask.is that g-force the same that make the axles?if so my buddy swears by them for the same reasons,affordable and they're "real" as he puts it.they just work.he's convinced the tusk axles are made by g-force as well.any info?

and yea i know its relatively off-topic but its all in the name of good products at an affordable price.

HondaRacing83
03-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
it must be but i'll ask.is that g-force the same that make the axles?if so my buddy swears by them for the same reasons,affordable and they're "real" as he puts it.they just work.he's convinced the tusk axles are made by g-force as well.any info?

and yea i know its relatively off-topic but its all in the name of good products at an affordable price. Tusk/Rock/Alba/G-force are all the same. Tusk is the main if I'm correct, they are all made by Tusk. So your buddy is kinda right but the other way around. Tusk makes G force. Ill look into the STI thanks, I really want black ones though.

powerbomb400
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
You are right CJM about the factory rims being tough. They will take a heck of a beating.

HondaRacing83
03-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah I'm running the stockers and they are crazy strong.

CJM
03-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Yea tusk/g-force and or some rock and alba are the same thing pretty much. Im not sure who exactly makes what but the axles are fine (I never busted mine when I ran it) and the nerfs so far I cant break.

Personally Im not sure what everyone runs in their tiers, but even with 3 psi in back and 4-5 up front I never lost a bead anytime.

Im still debating between the XC g-forces and the STI bead locks. I will say the DWT alumalites are nice-but holy hell is the AL soft. I have so far dented the outer lip of one of my wheels 2x now and one of them is actually missing a chunk of AL. Tire still rides ok and holds air tho.

HondaRacing83
03-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I run 5lbs in the rear and 6lbs up front. Ive never rolled a rim off the bead, i dont want to find out if i can either. Im gonna start racing and figured beadlocks would be a decent investment

03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea tusk/g-force and or some rock and alba are the same thing pretty much. Im not sure who exactly makes what but the axles are fine (I never busted mine when I ran it) and the nerfs so far I cant break.

Personally Im not sure what everyone runs in their tiers, but even with 3 psi in back and 4-5 up front I never lost a bead anytime.

Im still debating between the XC g-forces and the STI bead locks. I will say the DWT alumalites are nice-but holy hell is the AL soft. I have so far dented the outer lip of one of my wheels 2x now and one of them is actually missing a chunk of AL. Tire still rides ok and holds air tho.
hmm see i haven't noticed that.are the g2 ultimates in the alumalite category?they must be.i run the same pressuresas you tho so idk.haven't seen that yet but of course anything is possible.

CJM
03-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by PAxcThumper
hmm see i haven't noticed that.are the g2 ultimates in the alumalite category?they must be.i run the same pressuresas you tho so idk.haven't seen that yet but of course anything is possible.

Im actually running the A5, it appeared to be similar to stock at the time. From what I gather it is a softer mateiral but geez it dents way to easy imho. Some rocks and it was done.

I just shoulda found tires for the DWT billet beadlocks I had tho but 8x8 sucks unless you do mx...

250x_kyle
03-30-2012, 11:11 PM
may have a set of front beadlocks for sale soon. thinking about buying a yfzr if i do i will have no use for the ones i have.