PDA

View Full Version : Linkage Question

bholzgen
03-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Ive got an 89 frame and I will be running a stock 86 swingarm. I already have a billet spacer for the pivot bolt. I am confused with what linkage I have to run on my stock rear shock for this setup.
I have an 88-89 rear shock with matching linkage. Will this work?
If you run the wrong linkage with this setup, the rear end will be 2 inches higher.

Can someone explain what year linkage I need to run?
Also, did the shock mount on the frame change from 86-89, or was it just the mounting point on the swingarm that changed because the swingarm was shortened for 88-89?

Thanks, Blake

D Bergstrom
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
From what I have learned, the linkage mount on the swingarms is the same between all years, the difference between swingarms is the distance from the mount to the bearing carrier. I also believe the shock mount on the frame is the same from all years. The differences were the dogbone and shock length. Since your shock and linkage is from 88/89, you should be good.

Doug

bholzgen
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Thank you for the reply. I have been told this once before, but just wanted to confirm it once again.

deathman53
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
yeah, it all stays the same, but for some reason 85 and 86 had the longest dogbone and shock. 87 swingarm is nearly the same as 86, but it uses a shorter dogbone(87-89 use the same) and a slightly shorter shock, but same length swingarm??? Now we go to 88/89 and a -1 swingarm, shorter yet shock, but keep the dogbone as 87 had.