PDA

View Full Version : Airbox ?

Catsgot9
03-04-2003, 01:10 AM
WHICH AIRBOX DO YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE ON YOUR 400S ? LOOKING TO GET ONE REAL SOON, ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

NoWingNoPrayer
03-04-2003, 01:36 AM
well i know alot of people like myslef run stock airboxes. just lose the lid.. if you want aluminum, get a name brand, other than that they are all about the same.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-04-2003, 01:37 AM
I personally see nothing wrong with the stock airbox so I'm sticking with it.

PHIL_B54
03-04-2003, 01:40 AM
i got mine on ebay. it fit real well, looks good, and was cheaper than a lot of other boxes, i got diamond tread
i could be wrong, but the only thing to watch is the notch where the wires are to run to the battery, the notch should be on the side the battery is on from the factory, even then the box is very tight, with the k&n and all the wires in it

here's his address jr_schmidt@itlnet.net he was real good to deal with

ill_lil_romey
03-04-2003, 01:40 AM
I personally see nothing wrong with the stock airbox so I'm sticking with it. Me neither, just get yourself a nice filter like a K&N or a Uni and lose the lid and block off the snorkle. Or you can do like I did and mod your airbox lid to breath better.

Razorback
03-04-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
i got mine on ebay. it fit real well, looks good, and was cheaper than a lot of other boxes, i got diamond tread
i could be wrong, but the only thing to watch is the notch where the wires are to run to the battery, the notch should be on the side the battery is on from the factory, even then the box is very tight, with the k&n and all the wires in it

here's his address jr_schmidt@itlnet.net he was real good to deal with

Have you done any racing/jumping/hard riding with that box? Just curious how the mounts are holding up. I've seen those on eBay, but didn't know what the quality was.

PHIL_B54
03-04-2003, 03:14 AM
no, i messed up my side case while trying to put in an oilcooler, and i sent some stuff to pappy, but everything is back now and going back together tomorrow.
i dont really have any closeup great pics, but i can say it looks very sturdy, and it came with 2 rubber pads to go between it and the frame on the sides, and in the back it bolts in 2 places, in the front the carb boot holds it
i took the old box out so quick that i guess that i dont even remember how it mounted, but i dont think im going to have a problem

QuadJunkies
03-04-2003, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
Me neither, just get yourself a nice filter like a K&N or a Uni and lose the lid and block off the snorkle. Or you can do like I did and mod your airbox lid to breath better. Yup, thats what I did on my 300ex,and we run open on the 400ex...:D

DESDAK4
03-04-2003, 01:20 PM
I run the CFM Performance airbos with a lid. I even went one step further and made a second lid with vents for more air. This box is very well made and I am very happy with it.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Extremeracer167
03-04-2003, 01:35 PM
http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48484

6th post down. Thats what i run!:D So does my dad who just happend to win the Sr. Class down at FLorida at the first GNCC on sunday;)

[_4ex_]
03-04-2003, 02:02 PM
why people change their air box I think the stock air box is okay

DESDAK4
03-04-2003, 02:05 PM
The only reason I did it is to move the battery and electronics off the side of the subframe and in out of the elements because of the weather I am forced to ride in half the time and I just like the cleaner look.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

PHIL_B54
03-04-2003, 03:22 PM
it also moves the battery where i can get to it to charge it
a new battery or my edelbrock (so it will not start as hard) will prob fix the charging problem but it will be easier to charge
its also so much easier to put the fenders/seat on when you dont have to wiggle it around the battery
and more airflow

those were my reasons behind getting my air box

QuadJunkies
03-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by [_4ex_]
why people change their air box I think the stock air box is okay I did mine because I needed more airflow..

Extremeracer167
03-04-2003, 04:14 PM
how do u ppl figure u get more airflow by cramming your battery in your airbox right next to your filter. Im not trying to flame, but hows this possible?

DESDAK4
03-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Not to be rude but you sound just like the guy that makes your box (which is a nice box) but I wanted the battery inside. Nobody seems to have said anything about more airflow. I gave mine more air than it came from CFM with by making my own lid with vents but that is about it. All I know for sure is my bike runs the same with this setup as it did with the stock box and no lid. (perfect)

Jay
USAF
AMMO

ACracin300ex
03-04-2003, 05:14 PM
i got a 300ex, and iw as wondering about losing the airbox completley, just running a kn filter with an outerwear. That way i can mount the battery box inside the frame (where the airbox used to be). Do u guys see any problem with this?

QuadJunkies
03-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by ACracin300ex
i got a 300ex, and iw as wondering about losing the airbox completley, just running a kn filter with an outerwear. That way i can mount the battery box inside the frame (where the airbox used to be). Do u guys see any problem with this? I was reccomended NOT to fully remove my air box on the 300ex and they run better with them partially opened, or I would have done the same thing...;) .On the 400ex they run great though

ACracin300ex
03-04-2003, 05:25 PM
y were u reccomended not to? the only thing i can see is that the filter would get dirtier easier, and faster. but if i got an outwear, and steer clear of the dusty **** and water, im good. i hate the batter under the rear fender, its ugly any other suggestions?

Extremeracer167
03-04-2003, 05:58 PM
not running a box is just asking for trouble. Your quad doesnt need that much air. And when u are talking about that, its not like the worst thing that can happen is the filter getting dirty. K&N Filters are good, but they are the worst as far as letting dirt, water, etc through them. SO if u ran just a filter and no box, u are gonna suck in dirt no matter if u have a pre-charger or not. But hey if ya wanna blow it up.............take the chance:p

QuadJunkies
03-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ACracin300ex
y were u reccomended not to? the only thing i can see is that the filter would get dirtier easier, and faster. but if i got an outwear, and steer clear of the dusty **** and water, im good. i hate the batter under the rear fender, its ugly any other suggestions? Dunno, I was just told that the 300ex just runs better with it paritally opened not all the way, you can still get all the gains out of your box and not open it all the way,I understand in your case you have a few other reasons for wanting to do this..:)

OutlawEX
03-04-2003, 06:47 PM
I personally would take a CFM airbox over any box out there..They are made of high quality and also really great craftsman work..Neal at CFM backs up his products 100%..PM me in u want info on how to contact him..Also ask Pappy about CFms box he just got one

DESDAK4
03-04-2003, 06:52 PM
Yeah I love mine and with the lid it just looks so clean.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
03-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
Yeah I love mine and with the lid it just looks so clean.

Jay
USAF
AMMO yeah, it looks very nice.. I like it:)

Pappy
03-04-2003, 06:59 PM
fit and finish on the CFM box is top-notch. the welds are done as expertly as can be. the fit and finish is perfect albiet a bit tight with the battery and electronics inside. ive got a few skinned knuckles from it but nothing good ever comes easy:p

i honestly cant say how well it will hold up since i havent gotton that far with the rebuild but i would assume it will do pretty good

MEL
03-04-2003, 11:55 PM
cfm air box looks great, but how hard is it to change the filter?

Extremeracer167
03-05-2003, 08:54 AM
yeah really, and can u run a K&N with them. It looks like you would have to take the battery and all that out to put a K&N in.

DESDAK4
03-05-2003, 12:35 PM
In the box with the lid you have to remove some things to get the K&N in and out. This did not prove to be an issue for me as after some not so good experiences I had already decided to switch to a foam filter.

Jay
USAF
AMMO