PDA

View Full Version : skid plate problems

mudder67
03-27-2012, 06:40 PM
On my 440ex I have a bigger rear skid plate so of course a stock one won't fit so I bout one that was suppose to work with my lowering link and aftermarket sprocket from gt thunder and I still can't fit where my sprocket it. What's everyone's advice. Should I some how build some spacers or has anyone ever had this problem.

CJM
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
-Rotor and sprocket guards from blingstar or GTT and run no skid

-Space the skid out with some spacers or washers. I wouldnt do it anymore than 1/4 of an inch

-Switch to smaller sprocket. Im running a 36T with no problems on a GTT skid thats cut for the shock/linkage.

-Rotate your carrier so that its in another spot on the axle. The carrier is oblong, rotating it changes the axle position sometimes enough to clear.

03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
ive been having a similar problem finding one for my ltr.it has a full mx swinger on it so there are no bungs for mounting a skid.from what i've been gathering on various forums its not a good idea to use the blingstar models as they are aluminum and don't hold up well,the plus side is they have clean outs so they wont fill with mud and as easily and potentially pull your countershaft out breaking your cases in the process.

the lonestar ones are the opposite,stainless steel so they're a little tougher but no clean outs.i was thinking about the lonestar but only runnning half to try to eliminate the case breaking problem.

i did see one on ebay the other day possibly made by rocketa(dont quote me on the brand,it was def not a name i recognized) or something like that.its gone now but that thing was ridiculous.looked like a giant super-aggressive ninja star i guess is the best way i could describe it and i believe it was stainless steel with large clean out areas.

this has been an aggravating quest for me personally.at this point my machine has full mx sprockets and chain not geared correctly so i may just trash them this year and hopefully by that time i will have heard something conclusive i can rely on and just do everything at once.

this is all ive read.hopefully someone chimes in here with some experience with these,the ltr section has tumbleweeds blowing through it and i've given up out of frustration.

Stickman400
03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
I put 3/4" spacers on mine to clear, but I also had to flip my carrier 180 to clear my caliper from the frame rail. I don't ride in rocky/rutted areas though, so I'm not going to have a problem bending and breaking the mounts. I'm going to run sprocket and rotor guards on mine if it won't clear a 36t rear that I ordered.