PDA

View Full Version : 400ex light assembly

hardtime
12-09-2001, 08:58 AM
I headlight assembly has seen better days. The assembly wont tighten due to broken bolt holes and was wondering whats the best remedy. New one? Can I get just that part? Where's the cheapest? etc. You get the picture...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2000 Honda 400EX

12-09-2001, 08:59 PM
I got fullbore plastics for my 400ex and i got race cut stock fenders fronts and rears and my complete headlight assembly if u might be interested, just make me a offer!

Chef
12-09-2001, 09:29 PM
Hey Beast, do you have any pics of the full bore plastic? does it have the lights? what color did you get?

12-09-2001, 09:36 PM
no i dont have any pics of my fullbore plastics as of now! im waiting on my frame i dropped it off thursday at the powdercoaters and my roll a-arms came in friday. Swingarm is next and ill have it all put together with a nice big picture for everyone too see of my baby:) The fullbore does not come with places for the headlights though, Also i got blue just like everything else now on my bike frame powdercoated blue swingarm and a-arms done that way too!!

Chef
12-09-2001, 09:40 PM
sounds sweet, is the plastic like the 250R plastic? i dont know if youve seen that plastic, but does it have like two holes in the front, down by the very front of the nose of the plastic?

Juggalo
12-09-2001, 09:43 PM
heres a pic of fullbore plastic for the 400.

12-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Hey u guys are on here this late at night Why dont u come in the chat room im in there now! ill bump it up to the top of the open forum.

400MXer
12-09-2001, 10:24 PM
The bolts in my lights stripped out too and i can't keep them tight, so i ordered a Quad Tech carbon fiber hood to replace my lights. And if something happens to that, i'm gonna buy full bore too. It looks really really really really really really really really really nice!

crday98
12-09-2001, 11:24 PM
1.get some DEVCON plastic welder at K-mart and 2 small thin nuts with short bolts or fine thread screws to match.2.clean all of the surfaces that the welder will be applied to with some rubbing alcohol or the product that is used to prep PVC pipe before it is jointed(highly recommended).3.set the nuts in the housing where the broken ones were and apply the DEVCON without getting any on the threads.put more on than needed to be sure it will hold.it is not runny so you can try putting the bolts in but if you get any on the threads you will have to keep turning them until the welder sets(10 minutes).4. get a razor blade or a dremel to get rid of the excess but not too much.5. leave it cure overnight in a warm dry place,then you are done.i have very little on mine and it is still holding after a year and few months.the DEVCON plastic welder is amazingly strong,much stronger than the plastic the housing is made out of.

leo,this is a common problem.could you possibly move this to the "best of forum"?

12-10-2001, 03:45 PM
i used expoxy for plastics - Follow crday98 post and that should fix your problem.

redrider ex
12-11-2001, 08:36 AM
On mine and my buddys our lights broke also so i stood the bikes up on there grab bar so you could see good and took a caulking gun and put caulk at the bottom of the lighs and at the top and thats been a year ago and we jump all the time and they are better than they were new .

hardtime
12-11-2001, 09:34 PM
I used some Dev-Con Plastic Welder like you said. I cleaned the housing and used the orginal nut/bolts. I used some q-tip stems in the nuts to hold them in place while I applied the goo. After it set for awhile, I smoothed the edges with a file and cleaned up with a razor blade (around the threads). So far so good. That stuff is strong!!! Thanks for the help.

HaRdTiMe
2000 400EX

crday98
12-11-2001, 11:24 PM
no problem;) i had cracked the whole part (where the suqare nut seats)completely off and in quite a few little pieces :grr all i was doing was installing the lights into a new set of plastics and that part just crumbled.:mad: i am amazed that it is still holding up strong.i was skeptical about the DEVCON stuff at first.i was in desperation to get it fixed fast and without spending that much for a new or even used set so i set out to the nearest store for some kind of plastic glue,bond,or epoxy and found this stuff.i just figured because it was so cheap it would work like crap and wouldn't hold.boy was i wrong:o
i also forgot to add the step of cleaning the surface(my bad)thanks for reminding me.i will update the previous post.:o