PDA

View Full Version : What kind of power am I looking at with this setup.

racerx573
03-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Okay, I've got a stock '05 with an HRC cam, Sparks full exhaust, and an air filter/jet kit.

I recently purchased a 13:1 piston and a 43mm FCR carburetor.

What kind of power can I expect with this setup without having the head ported?

chronicsmoke
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I'll play this game..

Maybe 46-48hp?

Are you going to get it Dyno'd?

racerx573
03-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I am just looking to see if it will be a competitive reliable setup.

I figured the 13:1 would be just enough to keep it reliable, while still getting a bit more kick out of it.

I may get a mild port job from a guy who has been building Pro-Am level motors for over 20 years (his son was a national champion back when the 350X hybrids were popular)

I don't want to go overboard with all the valves and heavy duty springs and what not. Just looking for some good bolt on horsepower without having to risk the valvetrain, bottom, end and clutch.

I came from 250R's as most of you know, and had all the heavy duty top of the line components are my R motors, and my first 4-stroke was my YZ426, which was already a built pro-level motor.

This is my first from scratch 450 build, and don't want to build a timebomb.

As it sits now, I have no problem clearing some 100 footers, but that's giving it all she's got on certain tracks, just looking for a little bit more balls.

chronicsmoke
03-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Mine's got a 13:1/HRC/Mild porting/full exhaust.. It's a good setup.. I mean there is more power to be found, but it's been reliable so far..

finsteratv
03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Have to run race gas on 13:1?

chronicsmoke
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
Have to run race gas on 13:1?

I go around 50/50 with VP.. Probably doesn't even need that much but better safe than sorry. And it smells great :D

desratt
03-27-2012, 03:46 PM
depends on which vp but I would say you need pure race fuel. remember just cause the 06 can run with 12:1 on pump doesn't mean a 05 with 12:1 can.. there are other variables besides just piston compression ratio.

3leggeddog
03-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't waster the money on a piston. Pay your guy to mill the head 40 thousanths, keep the stock piston. It's lighter, and will rev faster. Less weight, means less stress on the crank and rod, etc.

It all means nothing with out a good cam tho. I mean, yeah, you'll get a power gain, but you should really invest in a good cam shaft. get a good cam, not a hot cam, they are hard on valves. a nice web, or HRC cam.

racerx573
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I've got an HRC cam in it. I bought a 13:1 JE last fall and an '06 FCR carb. It's got UNI filter and a Sparks exhaust.

I actually pulled the motor last night and am gonna drop it off tonight to get ported.

Couldn't turn down $300 to port/polish and install the piston.

I know this guys work and have seen his motors pull pro-am holeshots.

His son made a comeback in 2003 and pulled the holeshot in 250 pro-am against CRF, YZ hybrids and 265R's on a 350X motor he built bored and stroked to a 425, so i know the quality, reliability and power I'll be getting.

Just wanted others opinions on a similar setup.

01boneless
03-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I'll play this game..

Maybe 46-48hp?

Are you going to get it Dyno'd?
woah dave your very generoius.....i say around 41-44 with a stock head

chronicsmoke
03-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
woah dave your very generoius.....i say around 41-44 with a stock head

I thought he mentioned he had a mild job on the head.. :p

If you find a similar dyno, post it up. I want to do the FCR but not sure if I could justify the cost..

I've been asked how many HP mine has a few times by local guys, I wish I had an answer..

mx450r919
03-28-2012, 08:43 PM
With what you listed as mods, I'd say you will be seeing tops 55hp. TOPS!

01boneless
03-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mx450r919
With what you listed as mods, I'd say you will be seeing tops 55hp. TOPS!
wow no way.
EDIT i just saw 13:1 comp id say dave was close at 45-48 .

mx450r919
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
wow no way.
EDIT i just saw 13:1 comp id say dave was close at 45-48 .

im at 44hp myself. with a port job and cam, hes looking at 50hp+

blacknblue#2
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke

I've been asked how many HP mine has a few times by local guys, I wish I had an answer..

Man i always hated that question by the locals....I got to the point to where if i got asked that i would just answer with "not a clue".. The first couple times i got asked i usually always answered "ahh 50ish" then i always got slapped in the face with a "My brother inlaws sister boyfriends cousin has an LTR with 110 horse and that thing is f***in mean" haha i usually just laughed and said well i wouldnt wanna fight that thing for 5 good hard laps against 9 other A-Class riders.. That usually boggled their mind beyond a thought.........In all honesty though i guessed my 07 to be around 50ish, My best friend had a 480 port and polished YFZ that i would race when mine was broke...Im not sure what the horse on the yamaha woulda been but it just plum wore me out. i was fighthing that thing more than i was riding it. It was way too much for MX

chronicsmoke
03-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Man i always hated that question by the locals....I got to the point to where if i got asked that i would just answer with "not a clue".. The first couple times i got asked i usually always answered "ahh 50ish" then i always got slapped in the face with a "My brother inlaws sister boyfriends cousin has an LTR with 110 horse and that thing is f***in mean"

Haha yah but around here usually it's "My friends Banshee/Raptor has < Insert ridiculous numbers here > HP, it would kill your bike" :rolleyes:

I just tell people it's stock :D

01boneless
03-29-2012, 06:48 AM
im at 44hp myself. with a port job and cam, hes looking at 50hp+
he dosent have a ported head...... so yea if so it would be around 55+ mine was gueestimated by a few builders at 53-54 so 13:1 would raise that and the carb aswell

mx450r919
03-29-2012, 11:00 AM
he dosent have a ported head...... so yea if so it would be around 55+ mine was gueestimated by a few builders at 53-54 so 13:1 would raise that and the carb aswell He mentioned getting it ported boneless....

01boneless
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
He mentioned getting it ported boneless....
in the first post i dident read on he said without port work done. i read it and saw he is getting mild work lol my bad 54-56hp

zyoung04
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Man i always hated that question by the locals....I got to the point to where if i got asked that i would just answer with "not a clue".. The first couple times i got asked i usually always answered "ahh 50ish" then i always got slapped in the face with a "My brother inlaws sister boyfriends cousin has an LTR with 110 horse and that thing is f***in mean" haha i usually just laughed and said well i wouldnt wanna fight that thing for 5 good hard laps against 9 other A-Class riders.. That usually boggled their mind beyond a thought.........In all honesty though i guessed my 07 to be around 50ish, My best friend had a 480 port and polished YFZ that i would race when mine was broke...Im not sure what the horse on the yamaha woulda been but it just plum wore me out. i was fighthing that thing more than i was riding it. It was way too much for MX

u said something about and in laws familys cousin made me think back to the day when someone told us they had a banshee with a 100hp and after they rebuilt it they broke it in by puttin it up on milk crate and let it idle!!

a good friemd of mine pretty much has the same setup u have w/o the ported head all except he has a dasa and a k&n and i would guess mid to high 40s does just fine for mx

Extremerider
03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
I've got an HRC cam in it. I bought a 13:1 JE last fall and an '06 FCR carb. It's got UNI filter and a Sparks exhaust.

I actually pulled the motor last night and am gonna drop it off tonight to get ported.

Couldn't turn down $300 to port/polish and install the piston.

I know this guys work and have seen his motors pull pro-am holeshots.

His son made a comeback in 2003 and pulled the holeshot in 250 pro-am against CRF, YZ hybrids and 265R's on a 350X motor he built bored and stroked to a 425, so i know the quality, reliability and power I'll be getting.

Just wanted others opinions on a similar setup.

I see you're from Johnstown. I go to college in Altoona and work at a dealership here. Just out of curiosity, where did you said your head for $300? Randy at Fast Man?

blacknblue#2
03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by zyoung04
u said something about and in laws familys cousin made me think back to the day when someone told us they had a banshee with a 100hp and after they rebuilt it they broke it in by puttin it up on milk crate and let it idle!!

a good friemd of mine pretty much has the same setup u have w/o the ported head all except he has a dasa and a k&n and i would guess mid to high 40s does just fine for mx

i remember one night many many moons ago seeing a stock banshee wide open in 6th gear with the rear skid plate setting on rough cut sawmill blocks, never knew how much a tire would expand under centrifical force until that night hahahah

racerx573
03-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Extremerider
I see you're from Johnstown. I go to college in Altoona and work at a dealership here. Just out of curiosity, where did you said your head for $300? Randy at Fast Man?

Gino at VPS in Latrobe.