PDA

View Full Version : How To: PEP ZPS Shocks

Rohr397
03-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Here's a great write up on the PEP ZPS (Zero Preload System) shocks and how to tune them properly. I don't know if anyone else uses them besides me, but if so this may be handy to take a look at!

http://www.atvsonly.co.uk/products/chassissusphand/documents/PEPInstructions.pdf

HondaRacing83
03-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Hopefully I will be come next week :D Thanks Zeb400EX!

HondaRacing83
03-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Just bought some PEP Zps shocks! Deff a good read!

Rohr397
03-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Agreed, tell me how you like them! And how you get them setup, I'm still trying to find the right settings for the clickers :/

01boneless
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Hopefully I will be come next week :D Thanks Zeb400EX!
good thing you had first dibs hahaha let us know how you like them bro

HondaRacing83
03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Hahahaha alright will do

HondaRacing83
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Zeb sent them priority, they will be here thursday!

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Good read. PEP FTW!

Rohr397
03-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks! What are settings are you running on your compression and rebound clickers for the rear end?

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
On my 450 my compression on the front is in #4 position and the rear is #5. I can't remember what the rebound is but it's faster then most. For a mx set up I like my suspension to instantly react.
On my 400 I can't remember what exactly they are set at because they are the older style with 21 positions for compression lol. My front shocks aren't rebound adjustable but my rear is. That one I set up originally like my mx shocks and learned that was a huge mistake lol. Almost went over the bars within 10 min on the first ride lol. Slowed them down 4 clicks and they are good now. I don't have a lot of time on my 400 yet so I still have some dialing in to do.
What are you set at?

Rohr397
03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Well that's the thing haha I bought my 400 with these shocks already installed so I have no clue where I'm set or what to set it at. What I do know is that I don't want this happening again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc6cSa0pOtw

I got through clean once too but I'm still a little unsure about them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQj9qZJsKv8

The other problem I ran into is whenever I go off a jump the front end comes up. I even leaned all the way forward off a jump and still looked like I was pulling a wheelie in mid-air.

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
In your second video it looks decent. You're leaning back and doing what you should be doing. The first video hurt lol. I've done it a few times. Sometimes you can't help it. But it looks like you might want to try to slow the rear down a little bit, and change your tactic through there. Maybe go a little faster? And land more toward the top of the whoop. That really is a tough section to work with because of how different each on is. Where is that track?

Rohr397
03-28-2012, 11:20 AM
It's in Woodland, WA. And yeah there were sinkholes actually forming inbetween the rollers from all the rain that day but I was determined to ride hard that day. I certainly was going fast enough (4th wide) but my rear tires at the time were almost bald which doesn't mix well with mud. They actually got rid of the section haha, the took all but the first three out and made it into a triple. I was there this past weekend for a race and three people did the same thing on just the three rollers.

So this is a dumb question but what would I adjust and how would I adjust it to slow the rear down? I haven't adjusted my shocks in forever, but I was looking at the rebound and it's turned all the way out.

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
What tires do you run? If you're only doing mx with it can I suggest you seriously look into holeshot sx. When I was racing that was the best tire that I ever ran. The rebound adjuster is at the bottom of the shock under the spring, adjust in small increments then ride and repeat untill you are happy. I can't remember which way they turn as I haven't played with them in a long time. Push down on the grab bar a couple times to see how fast it is, the turn it one direction or the other and to it again just to see if it got faster or slower. I wish I could tell you off the top of my head but I really can't remember it. Good luck racing by the way. It was fun while I did it but I just couldn't make it work while running an excavating company. I just ride for fun now.

HondaRacing83
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Ive only got PEP zps fronts, im more of an avid xc trail rider, stock rear on gbc x rexs all around. i do like to jump a little, what do you suggest i put mine at?

Rohr397
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm switching to Sedona Bazooka's. The tread on those things is great for the sandy crap around here. And yeah it's adjusted all the way out and it's super slow so I can't really do much, maybe it's time to look at compression or possible a rebuild...

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
If you're looking into a rebuild give Seth at SF Racing a call. After working with him the past couple years he he is the only guy I'd bring my stuff to. I don't have to change much when I get shocks from him. Dude works magic. Tell him how you want them to handle along with any other info he wants and they come to you ready to go. Since you bought them on the quad used, there really is no telling when the last time they were serviced and from my experience with aftermarket shocks, to have perfect performing shocks, matinance in the key. Couldn't hurt right? There is no half assing it in racing, that's how you get hurt, ask me how I know lol.

quadmanw
03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Does he have good pricing?

Nac's22
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Ive only got PEP zps fronts, im more of an avid xc trail rider, stock rear on gbc x rexs all around. i do like to jump a little, what do you suggest i put mine at?

My XC shocks are set up a little softer then my MX shocks just so it doesn't wear me out so fast. Really don't know much in this part because I did nothing but race and ride mx for 6 years. Just get out there, ride them play with them and see what you like. Once you get a set of aftermarket shocks dialed in, you will HATE, and I really stress hate lol, stock shocks. Good luck with them. Post up what you think about them. Give me about another month and I'll have my stuff dialed in and I can help you more.

HondaRacing83
I'm gonna have my reserviced to. Seals are a little weak I'm just gonna wait till they blow out and was gonna send them to Gt Thunder but How much is to get new seals and oil at SF racing? Its like 55 a shock at Gt thunder i think

Nac's22
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Honestly guys the best thing to do is call him or send him a message on Facebook. I never worry about price on shocks, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I think he is good on pricing though. I'm all about customer service and the performance of my shocks, so even if he was more expensive then everyone else, he would still get my business.