PDA

View Full Version : What mx set up for new guy?

crazya**400exer
03-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Ok i just wanna know whay you guys are runnin on your 400ex mx bikes. I'm lookin to start racin i rally dont want to spend a crap tun of money, but i want a good reliable bike. I have maxxis rzr mx tires that are brand new co i got that much covred. I have a fmf ti4 with the power bomb header, and a g-force axle. My motor is bone stock. Just let m know what you guys run, or think i should do. thanks a lot.

01boneless
03-24-2012, 06:58 PM
if ur not wanting to spend a ton get 450r front shocks (150.00) get dual rate springs from gtt (200) or send them to gtt and get a mx rear link (100) may need to revalve the rear shock aswell (200). then find a set of used +2 arms. or run +2 a arms 450r stock shocks and mx link if ur on a very tight budget

crazya**400exer
03-24-2012, 07:15 PM
thanks wat kinda a arms should i get? and ive noticd some people runnin yfz shocks how do they work ?

01boneless
03-24-2012, 07:27 PM
the yfz shocks work good and lower your quad about 2in. and on arms houser is about the best imho

CJM
03-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Albas got a deal on 400ex +2 arms for 500 bucks till april 1st I think. Its on ebay.

crazya**400exer
03-24-2012, 07:34 PM
ok thanks i cant wait to gt racin. What neck brace and chest protecter should i get?

Drfat400ex
03-24-2012, 07:43 PM
The yfz shocks are beast!!! If you adjust the ride height on them you can get it so it will only lower about 1/2 inch, everything is adjustable, they're a really great ride and they look mean!

dxcody
03-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by crazya**400exer
ok thanks i cant wait to gt racin. What neck brace and chest protecter should i get?

Leatt makes the best neck brace in my opinion.

I wouldnt race without one. One of my all time worst fears is being paralyzed and a Leatt neck brace (Or any neck brace i guess) can prevent that.

It wasnt a big deal to me until one of my 12 year old buddies had a nasty ATV crash and is now paralyzed for life.

When you choose your cheast protector i would choose comfort over looks. I used a Fox Profram or something like that, that was really nice and comfortable. I think my buddy paid like $80 bucks for it at the local shop.

Rohr397
03-25-2012, 11:15 PM
The Thor Sentinel chest protector is by far one of the best on the market and just $80 brand new. Also I think both Leatt and Alpinestars make great neck braces. Here's the thing about neck braces though, they're great, but if you take a nasty wreck they WILL break your collarbone. The difference between the Leatt and Alpinestars goes as follows:

Leatt - Less likely to break the collarbone on hard impact, but the area it breaks is more likely to require surgery

Alpinestars - More likely to break collarbone on hard impact, almost never will require surgery to heal up.

I got this info from my dealership which sells both, as well as several local pro supercross riders who ride for my friends team. It's not a myth, it's a fact. They'll redistribute the load from your neck to your shoulders and break the collarbone to save you from being paralyzed. It's also the reason some pros won't wear them, because there are times where you will crash, your neck will take a lot of pressure but will not be enough to cause serious injury, yet the neck brace still loads enough to break your collarbone. It's a choice you have to make, I think it's definitely worth it to have one but not everyone feels that way.

chronicsmoke
03-26-2012, 05:59 AM
Leave you're engine alone and work on suspension.. Stock 450r fronts are an improvement, but you'll get beaten up. The best thing you can do is ride properly setup suspension.. As boneless said, the GTT setup is pretty cheap considering..

Then work on your engine..

russellsroost31
03-26-2012, 06:36 AM
omega neck brace with evs roost gaurd
and if you can find them on ebay id say burgard a arms

TheAwesomehonda
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Rohr397
The Thor Sentinel chest protector is by far one of the best on the market and just $80 brand new. Also I think both Leatt and Alpinestars make great neck braces. Here's the thing about neck braces though, they're great, but if you take a nasty wreck they WILL break your collarbone. The difference between the Leatt and Alpinestars goes as follows:

Leatt - Less likely to break the collarbone on hard impact, but the area it breaks is more likely to require surgery

Alpinestars - More likely to break collarbone on hard impact, almost never will require surgery to heal up.

I got this info from my dealership which sells both, as well as several local pro supercross riders who ride for my friends team. It's not a myth, it's a fact. They'll redistribute the load from your neck to your shoulders and break the collarbone to save you from being paralyzed. It's also the reason some pros won't wear them, because there are times where you will crash, your neck will take a lot of pressure but will not be enough to cause serious injury, yet the neck brace still loads enough to break your collarbone. It's a choice you have to make, I think it's definitely worth it to have one but not everyone feels that way. WOW you make atv racing sound like a dangerous sport.. Oh wait it is.. lol

dxcody
03-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
WOW you make atv racing sound like a dangerous sport.. Oh wait it is.. lol

haha.. Always better to be safe then sorry!

chronicsmoke
03-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
haha.. Always better to be safe then sorry!

x2!

Rohr397
03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
ATV Racing... Dangerous? Psssshhhh noooooooo! It's just a good way to get the doctor to put more metal in me, that way I can be like iron man :P

TacicalRedneck
03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Out here ther is a lot of racing, and boy let me tell you we probably have the biggest atv salvage yard in KY... Some of the things you see in there are... crazy..
I'd say you need to do some frame reinforcing..
Also look into beadlocks... and NOT ITP... they will not last.. Hipers are ok, but can shatter, and are very easy to break when putting the bead on. I'd recommend DWT rear beadlock, you don't want your tire slipping off. You can always powdercoat your front rim if your worried about looks..
And when your racing... its always nice to look good, have a color scheme.. For example, Blue gear and helmet, black (neutral front rims, chest protector, etc), and a white bike, with a blue rear bead lock ring.
In racing, if your not going to spend a little bit for preventive maintenace/care, your going to spend more in the long run when something goes wrong.
And check out the 400ex hydraulic clutch

etc... etc...

crazya**400exer
03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
TacicalRedneck, i see your from ky what part and where are some good tracks? thanks

crazya**400exer
03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Does anybody know any good motocross tracks in southern indiana or kentucky?

finsteratv
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I just use an EVS neck roll rather than a straight up brace and its worked well for me and the other guys i ride with. Took a little dirt nap on my CR250 yesterday and it worked well with my thor impact rig SE :p

TacicalRedneck
03-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Ballance MotoX - Oakland, KY
270-792-RACE
Email
www.BallanceMotoX.com

Daniel Boone MX - London, KY
606-877-1364
Email
www.DanielBooneMX.net

Bluegrass Raceway - Owingsville, KY
Track: 606-674-3987
Pete Scalzo: 954-655-7787
www.BluegrassRacewayInc.com

ahh... lets see... cub run mx good practice, royal farms atv, have a small amx track good for practice, near to me so its good..
I can find some more when i go get my quad from rebuild shortly

russellsroost31
03-27-2012, 09:20 AM
if it wasnt for alot of the mx riders around my place my doctor wouldnt have a lambo
but yes better safe than sarroy and the neckbrace also helps with helpin to support your neck so it doesnt hurt as bad the next day

TacicalRedneck
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

http://mxtrackguide.com/motocross-tracks-kentucky

theres a link, some of them ive heard of, others not. Worth checking out.

post some pics once you get your quad ready.. i like pics
:scary: