PDA

View Full Version : Cam/Timing Chain & Gaskets

ansimation
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a bolt on my 03 400ex on the head ( right side front ) and it's loose, tried threading it back in but it's still loose and there's a little oil coming out from where the gasket is there so I was going to order a new gasket ( Cometic? they don't have an 85mm one? It's a stock bore ) and have a buddy check the bolt for me and find out why it won't thread in. Then while he's in there I was going to put in a crf450 timing chain and a new tensioner since it's ticking really bad and likely needs done anyway. Then I'll have him adjust the valves.

Now my questions:

2002 CRF450R timing chain (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1066-honda-2002-crf450r/assemblies/15291) will work, right?

Cometic gasket kit, which one do I get for a stock bore 400ex?

And on a sidenote for CJM, ordered that jet kit today from jets-r-us and a 42 pilot from them as well. Hopefully that will fix the 426 overheating issue.

CJM
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Yep timing chain will fit just fine. Same year I used. Id also be ready to buy the guides just incase they are worn.

As for jetting, the 42 pilot will correct the hard starting and slight stumble down low. If the main isnt large enough you will still have heat issues. Id say the main should be around a 168-175.

ansimation
03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Maybe it isn't the hea dgasket, I think it's the head cover gasket. I will go confirm in a minute but the bolt on #4 here is the one that won't thread in. and that gasket is the one I need I think but I will go verify this in a minute. Head Cover View (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/1155-honda-2003-trx400ex-trx400ex/assemblies/13657)

ansimation
03-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah I think that's what it is. Here's a pic incase I'm wrong.http://i.imgur.com/6bR4g.jpg

CJM
03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
There are 3 gaskets:
In order...

1. Valve/rocker cover gasket. This is usually reusable, its made of coated metal

2. Head gasket, between head and cylinder

3. base gasket, between cyl and trans.

Id order cometic MLS gaskets, stock bore sized ones will fit fine. Just make sure they are steel based coated gaskets as cometic makes another type that sucks.

TheAwesomehonda
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
It that head cover bolt won't thread in then. 1 the threads on the bolt are stiped 2 the threads in the head are striped 3 the bolt is broken.. I'm not sure what this has to do with gaskets?

ansimation
03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I assume I need a gasket due to the oil leaking out in that area in the photo? Not sure really what I need that's why I was asking.

TheAwesomehonda
03-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ansimation
I assume I need a gasket due to the oil leaking out in that area in the photo? Not sure really what I need that's why I was asking. So will the bolts on the head cover tighten?

ansimation
03-24-2012, 05:33 PM
All except for the one above where it's leaking. It's snug right now now too loose but if I take the head cover off I will need a gasket anyway, yeah? Also figured since oil was coming out that the gasket was probably bad there but I guess it could just be coming out because the bolt is loose?

TheAwesomehonda
03-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Well if you can't get that bolt to tighten then you need to use a tap or heli coil i guess but i'm not sure cuz i've never used a heli coil. I've just used a tap when i stip out something but that wont work if its really bad.

01boneless
03-24-2012, 08:00 PM
you can either tap it to a 1/4 bolt or helicoil (what i would do) but either works