View Full Version : No Stopping me now...

wolfe 21
03-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Ok, so it felt like my front brake was dragging so I took a closer look and found out the caliper piston is not going back into the caliper. it'll move out fine, but it's not returning into the caliper.

So my questions are:
Is all I'll need to rebuild the caliper the piston seals?
Should I do both calipers now, as only the one is having the issue?
What's the easiest way to bleed out my brake system when I reinstall the caliper?

Thanks,
James.

chevymanrick
03-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Yea new seals and u should be good to go, whether or not you do the other caliper is up to you, I've always been told if ain't broke don't fix it lol, as far as bleeding the brakes its a pain a friend, or extra set of hands helps a lot. Just pump the brakes a few times and hold pressure on the handle when u open the bleeder valve and then shut it off when the pressure drops, just do that over and over till there is no more air in the lines

400exrip
03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
To push the piston back in the caliper, Get you a c-clamp put one end on the piston and the other end on the caliper. Then tighten it, It should go back in, then try it out again if it dont go back in the caliper the second time, then you know for sure something needs to be replaced.

400man
03-23-2012, 10:55 AM
if you got a little extra money its not a bad idea ito just upgrade to some yfz450 calipers. sometimes you can find em dirt cheap and they work so much better than the stock 400ex calipers.

chevymanrick
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 400man
if you got a little extra money its not a bad idea ito just upgrade to some yfz450 calipers. sometimes you can find em dirt cheap and they work so much better than the stock 400ex calipers.
How easy are they to install? Do they bolt right up? And is it the same way for the rear caliper?

beastlywarrior
03-23-2012, 12:18 PM
caliper pistons arent supposed to retract in by themselves. yes they could be stuck, have you tried forcing them back in? i did the yfz caliper switch, got them for like $25 but only the fronts swap over

wolfe 21
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
yeah, i tried to force them back in. they moved maybe an 1/8" and then hung up. Figured i'd just go ahead and rebuild it while it's off. $5 for seals, so what the heck. Besides, I need to do my bike too. Call it a learning experience. I learned that next time, unless the wheel is completely froze up, Ima leave it alone.

I had considered the yfz calipers, especially after this happened. Just don't know if they are really that much better. Besides, don't use the front brakes anymore than i have too. Too much fun to slide the rear end around :devil:

Thanks again,
James.

CJM
03-23-2012, 03:37 PM
The yfz calipers are worth it, friend of has them and even with my stainless lines I like his better.

wolfe 21
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Kinda reminds me of a sticker i saw in the back window of a '32 Ford: "Built Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff.":rolleyes:

Anyway, I might have to look into it in the future. For now, I'm just gonna rebuild the stockers and get it ready to ride. Got vacation in April, hoping for nice weather....

James.