PDA

View Full Version : A good 4 stroke bike

01boneless
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
hey guys here soon i may be buying a bike because the closer tracks dont allow quads anymore.. im about 6ft 175 lbs and have tons of quad experience but zero bike..ive rode a yz 85 big wheel but thats it...(btw cant get the 85 outa 1st without being sketched out and laying over lol) anyhow i dont want a 2 stroke. and i plan to ride alot of mx tracks. honda yamaha or kawi would be good but i cant afford a ktm lol

CJM
03-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Buddy of mine likes his CRF250. I rode it and its got plenty of power for me. A 450 might be a bit too much for a first bike.

01boneless
03-22-2012, 10:33 PM
yea i like the honda 250's from what ive seen of them id prolley get messed up on one hahah no i wouldent even attempt a 450 bike for a while.

finsteratv
03-22-2012, 10:48 PM
crf150r? 85's are really pipey..my 125 didnt have as much of a powerband as my friends 65 it seemed..it was alot smoother.

01boneless
03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
lol im to big for a 150 id prolley get the crf250 just wondering if there was any thing better for me ... and yea i considered 125's but idk i just hate 2 strokes i like the power to be right there like a 4

dxcody
03-22-2012, 11:17 PM
DONT get a 2005 Kawi 250F.

Great bikes but they are the biggest PITA to get started its not even funny. I have one sitting in the garage and when we go riding it takes him a good 20 mins of kicking to get it to start.

IDK but the bike shop in town said all the Kawi 250F''s are like that.

Tommy Warren
03-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
DONT get a 2005 Kawi 250F.

Great bikes but they are the biggest PITA to get started its not even funny. I have one sitting in the garage and when we go riding it takes him a good 20 mins of kicking to get it to start.

IDK but the bike shop in town said all the Kawi 250F''s are like that.

adjust the valves....:cool:

chronicsmoke
03-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
idk i just hate 2 strokes

:scary: we don't take to kindly to your kind, kindly around here..

You'll adjust , Bryson.. For the price of a 125, you can have a quad AND a bike :cool:

buck440
03-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
adjust the valves....:cool:

x2 :)

blacknblue#2
03-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Bryson keep an eye on CL, CRF250's pop up on craigslist all the time for anywhere from 1500 and up. Some of them have some valve issues but its nothing i can help ya with. Youll absolutely hate a bike but youll learn to love it. I throw my 450 around like a rag doll anymore haha

03-23-2012, 08:10 AM
The title of this thread made me laugh.

01boneless
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by 8686
lol why? nvr mind i notice u have all 250r's

01boneless
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Bryson keep an eye on CL, CRF250's pop up on craigslist all the time for anywhere from 1500 and up. Some of them have some valve issues but its nothing i can help ya with. Youll absolutely hate a bike but youll learn to love it. I throw my 450 around like a rag doll anymore haha

yea id have to sell my quad but that would be no biggie could prolley trade it for a 250 anyday it will be a while if i do get a bike because it would be hard to sell my quad after all the work thats done to it but when theres tracks around that dont like quads what can ya do....

blacknblue#2
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by 8686

It is funny that they can make a motor put out nearly 60 horse stock, Have power any time you need to reach for the throttle even when its nearly on it last stroke it can still catch back up to itself, make it run on the same gas my neighbors pushmower runs on and go 6 years before you have to brake a bolt loose in it. hahaha.....Sorry please dont get bent out of shape im just in a joyful mood today i been messing around with everyone here at work.. But in all reality my best friend bought a CRF450 new in 2007. Rides it every other weekend or so, Its bone stock...gets new oil every other ride.... It always starts good but sunday he wanted to pull the valve cover and check the valves just to be sure since the valves hadnt been checked since the bike was done with the break-in period One intake was at .007 and one was at .005 , It dont use a drop of oil and has never once puffed a shot of smoke. SO we put the valve cover back on it and it will prolly stay on until we have reason to go back into it

01boneless
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
It is funny that they can make a motor put out nearly 60 horse stock, Have power any time you need to reach for the throttle even when its nearly on it last stroke it can still catch back up to itself, make it run on the same gas my neighbors pushmower runs on and go 6 years before you have to brake a bolt loose in it. hahaha.....Sorry please dont get bent out of shape im just in a joyful mood today i been messing around with everyone here at work.. But in all reality my best friend bought a CRF450 new in 2007. Rides it every other weekend or so, Its bone stock...gets new oil every other ride.... It always starts good but sunday he wanted to pull the valve cover and check the valves just to be sure since the valves hadnt been checked since the bike was done with the break-in period One intake was at .007 and one was at .005 , It dont use a drop of oil and has never once puffed a shot of smoke. SO we put the valve cover back on it and it will prolly stay on until we have reason to go back into it
i couldent get luck like that haha

03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Can't argue with that.

The most powerful bone stock 450 dirt bike is the Kawasaki and it puts out 55 hp. All the others are less than that. A bone stock KTM 250SX 2-stroke makes 50 hp. It's too bad that the 4-stroke needs twice the engine to make the same horsepower. If we're talking the same size engine, cc for cc, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, it's not even a comparison.

To the OP, for a motocross bike, consider a 2-stroke. It's lighter, cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, and will hold its resale value better.

Some good reading on an even cc for cc comparison:

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/TWOSTROKE-VERSUS-FOURSTROKE-2012-KTM-250SXF-VS-201-8417.aspx

Pay special attention to the section where it shows just where (at what rpm) the two bikes make all their power. I laugh when people still think that it's the 2-stroke that you need to rev out to make any power.

woodsman250r
03-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Not trying to be a jerk, but it seems like most people on this site looking to get a bike only consider 4 strokes. Now, this debate has been going on for years and everyone has their own 2 cents to throw in. But, just look into maybe getting a 2 stroke. You will find they are cheaper, have PLENTY of power, are a blast to ride, lighter, way easier to rebuild, less parts to wear out and so on. And anyone that tries to tell you not to buy one because it is a pain to mix gas is a moron, plain and simple. I can give an unbiased imput on this because I own both, ride both, maintain both, rebuild both, and buy parts for both. The 2 stroke is hands down the better bike to own for riding and racing (unless you are a top level A rider or above) I always get a good laugh from the tools that don't race, have a flat bill Monster hat, clapped out CRF 250R telling me that 2 strokes are junk...:rolleyes:

03-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Not trying to be a jerk, but it seems like most people on this site looking to get a bike only consider 4 strokes. Now, this debate has been going on for years and everyone has their own 2 cents to throw in. But, just look into maybe getting a 2 stroke. You will find they are cheaper, have PLENTY of power, are a blast to ride, lighter, way easier to rebuild, less parts to wear out and so on. And anyone that tries to tell you not to buy one because it is a pain to mix gas is a moron, plain and simple. I can give an unbiased imput on this because I own both, ride both, maintain both, rebuild both, and buy parts for both. The 2 stroke is hands down the better bike to own for riding and racing (unless you are a top level A rider or above) I always get a good laugh from the tools that don't race, have a flat bill Monster hat, clapped out CRF 250R telling me that 2 strokes are junk...:rolleyes:

I think being a top A rider is all the more reason to ride a 2 stroke. Those are the guys that can actually use the advantages to their full potential.

It's really funny that you mention the CRF250 thing. Just this past sunday a few of my friends pulled up to my house on their 4 strokes. One of them had just bought his 2007 CRF250 and they were bragging on how awesome it was and asked me if it made me want to ditch my 2 strokes and buy a 4 stroke cuz they're so much better. I just laughed at them. Three days later his awesome CRF250 had a valve keeper break on him so his valve decided to drop down in the cylinder where his piston promptly shoved it back up through the head, creating a second spark plug hole. Is that bad?

buck440
03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
as much as i like 2smokes the new kx450f looks like some serious fun though. went to the bike shop the other day and seen it and sat on it. the thing is freaking paper thin lol. pure straight out of the box mx bike.

if i had the steady flow of money for maintenance it would be my #1 choice.

01boneless
03-23-2012, 10:28 AM
I know all about 2 strokes and 4 strokes. i dont like 2 strokes because there is no lowend u have to be screaming to have any power but once you hit the band there GONE. true tho that i could save a while and pick up a 125 dirt cheap and still keep my quad. i just saw a 125 on craigs looked new just needed a topend for 350! im so used to building 4 strokes and riding them it would take a while to get used to. below is a pic of my quad i dont think i could sell it

03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by buck440
as much as i like 2smokes the new kx450f looks like some serious fun though. went to the bike shop the other day and seen it and sat on it. the thing is freaking paper thin lol. pure straight out of the box mx bike.

if i had the steady flow of money for maintenance it would be my #1 choice.

That last sentence is straight comedy.

Have you stopped in at a KTM dealer lately to throw a leg over a new 125SX, 150SX, or 250SX 2-stroke?

boneless01, take a few minutes to read that article that I posted a link to. It's actually the heavier, slower 4-stroke that needs the piss revved out of it to make any power.

blacknblue#2
03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I truly was not downing the 2 stroke at all. I also enjoy the simplicity and the way the power comes on-to a 2 stroke. I just know it takes a certain kind of person to enjoy and be able to ride a 2 stroke in all types of riding. And really Bryson if your buying used a KTM aint much different in price than anything else you would buy. DOnt KTM offer what they call a 3 stroke?? which looks just like a 2 stroke powerplant. How are those on bottom end? anyone have any experience

01boneless
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I truly was not downing the 2 stroke at all. I also enjoy the simplicity and the way the power comes on-to a 2 stroke. I just know it takes a certain kind of person to enjoy and be able to ride a 2 stroke in all types of riding. And really Bryson if your buying used a KTM aint much different in price than anything else you would buy. DOnt KTM offer what they call a 3 stroke?? which looks just like a 2 stroke powerplant. How are those on bottom end? anyone have any experience

im finding lots of nice 125's for under a grand i could save a while and still keep my quad for a 125, would that be a good begginer bike or would i be to big for a yz or cr?

03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
im finding lots of nice 125's for under a grand i could save a while and still keep my quad for a 125, would that be a good begginer bike or would i be to big for a yz or cr?

That would be a great beginner bike. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and it's done depreciating.

chronicsmoke
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
well I'm taller than you and heavier than you and I'm getting a 125 eventually.. They are too much fun..

My buddy has one with a 450f chassis and that thing is AWESOME! :D

woodsman250r
03-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I know all about 2 strokes and 4 strokes. i dont like 2 strokes because there is no lowend u have to be screaming to have any power but once you hit the band there GONE. true tho that i could save a while and pick up a 125 dirt cheap and still keep my quad. i just saw a 125 on craigs looked new just needed a topend for 350! im so used to building 4 strokes and riding them it would take a while to get used to. below is a pic of my quad i dont think i could sell it

You know all about 2 strokes, but say they have no low end power??? :huh I'm assuming you have only rode a 125, which would be true to a certain extent. However, on bikes like a KTM 200, 250, 300 XC...that would be a completely false statement. You can basically lug those bikes as low as you can go and never stall out. Try that on your 4 strokes. If 2 strokes had no bottom end power, you wouldn't see guys riding them in the National Enduro series where all you ride is gnarly single track.

finsteratv
03-23-2012, 02:26 PM
You know all about 2 strokes, but say they have no low end power??? :huh I'm assuming you have only rode a 125, which would be true to a certain extent. However, on bikes like a KTM 200, 250, 300 XC...that would be a completely false statement. You can basically lug those bikes as low as you can go and never stall out. Try that on your 4 strokes. If 2 strokes had no bottom end power, you wouldn't see guys riding them in the National Enduro series where all you ride is gnarly single track. This guy knows his stuff. And even though a 4 stroke might not need topends as often and dont take mix oil if you have a catastrophic engine failure on one of the new bikes you're toast. Thats why i didnt get another 450..one is enough to maintain..haha 2 Strokes are alot of fun and when you get into the larger bores forget about them having no low end.

Tommy Warren
03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I had an old Can-am 400 2-stroke bike....I should have never gotten rid of it.....it would lift the front end in 5th before the power band kicked in:eek:

01boneless
03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
You know all about 2 strokes, but say they have no low end power??? :huh I'm assuming you have only rode a 125, which would be true to a certain extent. However, on bikes like a KTM 200, 250, 300 XC...that would be a completely false statement. You can basically lug those bikes as low as you can go and never stall out. Try that on your 4 strokes. If 2 strokes had no bottom end power, you wouldn't see guys riding them in the National Enduro series where all you ride is gnarly single track.

ive only rode a 85 and 125 once....and yes neither had no lowend but both were stock. Ive built a 450r so im sure i could always thro a bb kit in a 125 and a shorty and get all the lowend i need

finsteratv
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
ive only rode a 85 and 125 once....and yes neither had no lowend but both were stock. Ive built a 450r so im sure i could always thro a bb kit in a 125 and a shorty and get all the lowend i need Porting would help alot too.

trailrider894
03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
This thread went to pot when he said he hated 2-strokes... ha ha I've never owned a 4-Stroke bike, and never will!! It takes skill to ride a 2-Stroke in the woods and even on an MX track... Plus, don't 2-smokes sound completely Badass screaming around MX tracks????

trailrider894
03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUak8wQrK9k&feature=related

01boneless
03-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
This thread went to pot when he said he hated 2-strokes... ha ha I've never owned a 4-Stroke bike, and never will!! It takes skill to ride a 2-Stroke in the woods and even on an MX track... Plus, don't 2-smokes sound completely Badass screaming around MX tracks????
and now im gonna save and try and buy a 125 this summer hahaha and the video is awsome

trailrider894
03-23-2012, 10:13 PM
and now im gonna save and try and buy a 125 this summer hahaha and the video is awsome

Once you learn to ride a 2-smoke you'll never want a 4-stroke... ha ha That video gave me an eargasm... multiple times... ha ha

finsteratv
03-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Once you learn to ride a 2-smoke you'll never want a 4-stroke... ha ha That video gave me an eargasm... multiple times... ha ha I am sadly addicted..haha My 450 almost seems boring at times but i dont want to admit it since i have so much money in it..

muddy400EX
03-24-2012, 04:18 PM

a crisp 250 going through whoops has gotta be my fav engine sound:cool:

love this vid
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KQ58c-oXko0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i had an rm125 when i was like 15, i really didnt notice it not having bottom end. thing ripped, it was a really fun bike

KXRida
03-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Once you learn to ride a 2-smoke you'll never want a 4-stroke... ha ha That video gave me an eargasm... multiple times... ha ha

Once you learn to ride a 2 stroke and make the switch to a 4 stroke you'll never go back. 2 strokes IMO are the best bikes to get your skills on. They really teach you clutch techniques that's for sure. I rode 2 smokes for years and loved them.. infact still do but when it comes straight down to the track I'll take a 4 poke anyday.

trailrider894
03-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Once you learn to ride a 2 stroke and make the switch to a 4 stroke you'll never go back. 2 strokes IMO are the best bikes to get your skills on. They really teach you clutch techniques that's for sure. I rode 2 smokes for years and loved them.. infact still do but when it comes straight down to the track I'll take a 4 poke anyday.

Yeah, well I would rather race a 4-poke than a 2-smoke, just because the 4-poke has more controllable power...