PDA

View Full Version : Lean?

WoodTRD
03-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Ran my bike for about a hour and a half with the 42mm 450r carb, started out with a 175 main, 52 pilot, and haven't touched the a/f screw yet. It runs amazing, instant throttle response, tons of power, no sputtering, popping, or anything anywhere, and feels like its running cooler now than it was with the stock piston and sparks key...BUT the plug looks a little white to me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/WoodTRD/024d5a71.jpg
DPR8Z

With the stock carb, 170 main and 42 pilot the plug was a little darker, almost the perfect color, but didn't run anywhere near like it does with the 450 carb. If anything I think I may be a hair lean on my a/f screw, but I never got it to pop, backfire, or anything on decel, just sounded like it may be a hair lean to me.

Then again I only have about a hour and a half on that plug, should I run it longer? It's not running hot, and runs perfect. I'd hate to mess up the way it runs right now.

Stickman400
03-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Looks a tad rich to me, but that's not a bad thing. I'd drop the main 1 size and run another plug for about 2 hours or so and take a pic of that.

01boneless
03-22-2012, 10:47 PM
^ rich? the ceramic is white..

honda400ex2003
03-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Rich couls probably go down 2-3 sizes on the main. The ceramic has to be checked down low at the base to be read correctly bryson.

Steve

01boneless
03-23-2012, 08:00 AM
lol i always read the ceramic haha

WoodTRD
03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
I guess my understanding of how to read plugs is a bit off...I'm new to it though. I always thought you looked at the insulation around the tip, or if you could, cut the threads and check it at the base? I'll read back over some of the jetting and plug reading threads, sounds like I need to brush up haha. Thanks for the input.

honda400ex2003
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Cutting the threads off and reading the base is the best way to do it. Also reading the end of the electrode will show proper heat range of the plug.

It takes quite a bit of riding to color the whole ceramic.

Steve

Stickman400
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I always look at the grounding strap and the end of the plug above the threads for color. I only take the insulator into consideration if it's wet or covered in carbon.

WoodTRD
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Cut the threads off, here is the result on a sheet of paper for reference:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/WoodTRD/dd9e039b.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, like I said though, I'm no expert. I've always just tried to dial the carb in where it runs best and isn't hot. Opinions? The bike was ran for about 90 minutes at varying throttle, about how I normally ride, at a good clip but not beating the crap out of it. Goosing on it for a while and backing off...what I would consider normal fire/forest road riding. Runs amazing, I was always looking for a 6th gear on the smoother parts, it revs out almost too quick with the stage one cam. Instant power.

Best way I found to cut the threads with what I had on hand was to chuck the plug into a drill, then run it against a hacksaw blade on my tailgate. Worked like a charm.

CJM
03-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Thats great. I always run mine a little bit rich to accommodate for temp changes so i dont have to change my jets alot.

JOHNDOE83
03-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by WoodTRD

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/WoodTRD/dd9e039b.jpg

Thats a good looking plug chop right there.

Like CJM said, I also like running slightly on the rich side.

IMO it could go a touch richer but still looks great.

WoodTRD
03-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks, I'd prefer mine a touch rich if anything as well. Just got back from another two hours or so of riding, everything felt good other than needing another gear on wide open roads haha. I'm going to leave the carb where it's at. Might drop down to a 36 in the rear but I love the acceleration with stock 15/38 for tighter trails, it's unreal to me for a 400, especially compared to a close to stock one. I've almost succeeded in my quest for the ultimate trail bike...guess I need to start saving for my next track/dune project... A 250r :devil:

May be a while though, having too much fun on my EX for now :D