PDA

View Full Version : Utility 4x4 ATV Reccomendations

Newt327
03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm looking to buy a utility 4x4 ATV, I currently have a 400ex and love it but I know nothing about the 4x4 class ATVs. I'm looking for something my daughter (19 year old) can ride but i can still have some fun on too. So it needs to be automatic for her and reliability is a big concern to me. I've been looking on craigslist at outlanders, grizzlys, Formans, King Quads Sportsmans, etc. I want to spend around $3500 to $4000 so nothing brand new as it will be much more than i'm looking to spend. I'm really wanting to know what in that class/price range is a good dependable ATV and what to stay away from. As far as size, 400cc and up.

Thanks everyone!

trailrider894
03-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't know much either, but I hated the Polaris's that my friends had... They were lumbering monsters that seemed to be top heavy and poorly designed... Not to mention they were always breaking down...

honda400ex2003
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
a rancher at would be a great overall machine but might be slightly underpowered for you coming off a 400ex. it would be a nice machine for a woman really.

rincon or an outlander will get my vote for a 4x4 every time for machines but they are a bit bigger for a woman to ride that doesnt ride alot.

i prefer the rincon for its size and riding. it is really smooth in power delivery and riding so it is great for trails. its not overly big but has plenty of space to relax on.

steve

StanL
03-22-2012, 06:54 AM
I think Steve's comments are right on, but this may be a good contrast for you to consider. I bought a 4 yr old Outlander 650 (from a dealer for $5k and only 192 miles. it has been perfect. This leads me to the suggestion. Even though my quad is plenty nimble enough for me and the CVT tranny is simple and easy, you may find a smaller Can-Am quad would be powerful, nimble enough for a woman/girl to enjoy riding and handling and also give you a thrill too. All the Can-Am's can be fast and properly driven, safe as well. Good luck searching around.

SRH
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
id steer clear of can am, not doubting there performance, but expensive, and you need a nearby dealer

sounds like a grizzly, brute force 650, or sportsman 500 would be best

the kawi v twin is about the most reliable

HondaRacing83
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SRH
id steer clear of can am, not doubting there performance, but expensive, and you need a nearby dealer

sounds like a grizzly, brute force 650, or sportsman 500 would be best

the kawi v twin is about the most reliable grizzly all the way but thats prob out of his price range unless he can find a really old 660.

Tommy Warren
03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Don't buy polaris or arctic cat.... but the kawasaki or yamaha is a good bike....if your could find a can-am in your price range that would get my vote

trailrider894
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
Don't buy polaris or arctic cat.... but the kawasaki or yamaha is a good bike....if your could find a can-am in your price range that would get my vote

x2

GE4x4
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
My vote would be a Kodiak or Grizzly 450. Decent power, but small in size compared to most 4x4. Plus you get IRS and locking front end.

Family Guy
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
My wife rides an 08 Rancher we bought new and everyone that rides it likes it. I have never had to do any major wrenching on it and they can be had for a good price.

Tommy Warren
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
honda 4x4's are good bikes... I bought a rincon 680 for my mom and she loved it....then I traded it for a big red sxs and she wanted the rincon back:rolleyes:

finsteratv
03-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Anything from the honda line. Super reliable and can be had for a decent price. There are others that are big bore mudders but really i think some are almost toooo big to the point you're nearly driving a jeep haha..I like my dads honda Rubicon 500. Heard great things about all the hondas.

jcv400ex
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Grizzly or prairie 650. Fun on the trails still and light steering enough for your daughter.

Newt327
03-28-2012, 08:06 PM
What do you guys think about an Outlander 400? I think i may have foundone for a decent price. I'm sure it would be good for her to ride, but am i gonna be able to have fun on it too? Most of the time i'll be on the 400ex, but i'd like to have some 4x4 fun too.

tbrackman84
03-29-2012, 07:17 AM
any honda utility, suzuki - king quad or vinson (can get one fairly cheap) Also, kawasaki prairies are nice machines. I would not go for grizzly or sportsman. They are both too big. The first three I listed are nice mid sized machines that'll offer plenty of fun without being impossible for a female to handle (no offense)

backwoodsracer
03-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I would recommend the grizzly 660. Mine was bone stock and id blow 400ex's out of the water..... Extremely reliable wheelies all day my only complaint is the rack's were not made for heavy use and the stock tire's sucked.

backwoodsracer
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

contradicting yourself there bud. Artic cat is a kawasaki with a more heavy duty class. racks are bigger and thicker etc. they are huge tho. we have a 05 650 with the kawi V-twin running 28's mudlites. she runs great. no issue's except for fixing break line's.