View Full Version : Powered Bazooka Tubes???

trailrider894
03-21-2012, 07:59 PM
I was finally getting around to picking up some subs for my truck and saw a 10" Bazooka Tube that was powered by a 200 watt amplifier... Just wondering if anybody has some experience with them??? I listen to mainly, Rap... ( Slim Thug, Rick Ross, Yelawolf, etc... ), but I'm not looking for window flexing power although I wouldn't mind a little oomph... Just looking at them, and they seemed inexpensive, easy to install and fairly well built!!! Opinions???

CJM
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Im curious too, there is zero room in my truck for a real sub.

trailrider894
03-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Im curious too, there is zero room in my truck for a real sub.

Exactly... I only drive the truck in the snow or when I'm going riding, and when I go riding I have 4 people with me. So I have NOOO ROOM!!!

03-21-2012, 08:34 PM
dam i cant believe they're still around.for $200 they'll more than likely suit your purpose ,which i assume is fill small space with better sounds than stock,but don't expect anything more.i'm sure they've changed some in the last 15 years but can't say how much,i know the originals were slightly above worthless at best.

Kickstarts-suck
03-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Waste of money IMO.

What do you drive that doesn't have room for a sub?

A single Sundown SA-8s requires .5-.6 cubes ported. There are even some 6.5" subwoofers.

Yelawolf FTW though. Been listening to for for a long time. He's getting big now.

CJM
03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Waste of money IMO.

What do you drive that doesn't have room for a sub?

A single Sundown SA-8s requires .5-.6 cubes ported. There are even some 6.5" subwoofers.

Yelawolf FTW though. Been listening to for for a long time. He's getting big now.

Where am I gonna fit a sub box in a extended cab pick up. No, Im not cutting, splicing or compromising a large amount of space to install a sub either. I was gonna throw the bazooka tube under my pass seat if anything anyways. Im not looking for window shattering bass either.

wilkin250r
03-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I'll be honest, I don't have any experience with the Bazooka tubes, but I do have a little knowledge of car audio. Bazooka makes two varieties for 10-inch powered subs, a 100W version and the other is a little vague. Some places list it as 250W, others list the same at 200W.

You'd be surprised at how loud 100W isn't. If you were going to go with Bazooka, I would definitely say the bigger version is better.

03-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'll be honest, I don't have any experience with the Bazooka tubes, but I do have a little knowledge of car audio. Bazooka makes two varieties for 10-inch powered subs, a 100W version and the other is a little vague. Some places list it as 250W, others list the same at 200W.

You'd be surprised at how loud 100W isn't. If you were going to go with Bazooka, I would definitely say the bigger version is better.

and this is as good as it gets with these things.as i said,for your purposes fellas this will probably suit but do not expect anything more than you're paying for.fear not,you will not have to contend with ear shattering anything but they will suffice as a cheap/space saving alternative as they house their own amp.

ben300
03-22-2012, 05:38 AM
my friend used to have a bazooka bass tube back when we were in high school (some 6-8 years ago now)...it was the non powered kind..... he also had an old, but rediculously poweful audio art (spl?) high current mono block amp from back in the 90's that he used to power all sorts of sub set ups...

well one night we hooked the tube up to the amp...needless to say it was cooked instantly. the thing never really ever sounded good or produced that much bass at all to even enjoy for easy listening purposes ...

....then we got drunk and threw it out the sun roof of my car at a road sign as we drove by......never to see the thing again.

don waste your cash, do as kickstart says

Scro
03-22-2012, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Where am I gonna fit a sub box in a extended cab pick up. No, Im not cutting, splicing or compromising a large amount of space to install a sub either. I was gonna throw the bazooka tube under my pass seat if anything anyways. Im not looking for window shattering bass either.

They make model specific sub boxes that fit underneath the rear seat. There are some that are the entire length of the seat, but it sounds like you would only want the kind that holds one sub/half the seat. Throw the amp behind the rear seat, or under the front, and you're not loosing much space at all.

KXRida
03-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Honestly I went with a slim box behind my back seats in my superduty with two 10'' clarion's. It hits more than hard enough for that truck. With amp, box, two 10's, 4 door speakers, and install kit I was around $650 but that's at a way discounted price.

CJM
03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Scro
They make model specific sub boxes that fit underneath the rear seat. There are some that are the entire length of the seat, but it sounds like you would only want the kind that holds one sub/half the seat. Throw the amp behind the rear seat, or under the front, and you're not loosing much space at all.

Trust me, the only setup that will fit in my toyota is a bazooka tube or one of those super slim powered sub boxes that you could fit under the seat. My x-cab seats do not have a space under them or behind them to put things either. Im not taking up the back seat with an amp/sub box sitting on it or the floor. The bazooka tube will fit on the floor just enough not to takeup a huge space like a box would.

trailrider894
03-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Well does anybody have some cheap options that are under 200 bucks??? I don't care if its JL or some off brand company... as Long as it'll sound good and last!! I already have a 1200w amp that my brother in-law gave me awhile back... so what are some good options with that???

bbender85
03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
never had a bazooka tube, but i can speak for the bazooka brand in that i ran a 10" for awhile when my main sub took a crap and that little thing handled a ton of power and did surprisingly well. i wasn't easy on it either.

hope you don't get offended if i give you a different option (some people do), but there are a few different super-shallow-mount subs on the market now (i know pioneer and alpine for sure, probably more by now) that you could probably get to fit just about anywhere you want. sounds like your expectations aren't super-high so i think one would work great for you.

trailrider894
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
never had a bazooka tube, but i can speak for the bazooka brand in that i ran a 10" for awhile when my main sub took a crap and that little thing handled a ton of power and did surprisingly well. i wasn't easy on it either.

hope you don't get offended if i give you a different option (some people do), but there are a few different super-shallow-mount subs on the market now (i know pioneer and alpine for sure, probably more by now) that you could probably get to fit just about anywhere you want. sounds like your expectations aren't super-high so i think one would work great for you.

Ha if your talking about me getting offended, that isn't gonna happen!! I feel that if i ask a question, people should be able to speak their opinions... after all we live in america!!! I'll check them out!!! I still don't understand this whole 2 Ohm 4 Ohm thing and what not... how do I know what my amp can handle??

KXRida
03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
If you're tech savy with wood work you may even be able to make a sub box to fit. Maybe check out the specs on some of the shallow mount subs and go from there. Once again another option.

CJM
03-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
If you're tech savy with wood work you may even be able to make a sub box to fit. Maybe check out the specs on some of the shallow mount subs and go from there. Once again another option.

A good idea, but dang not to many places where I could make it fit. Stupid x-cab seat design, would have a HUGE space under them fold down seats if the seats didnt rest on a metal support. As you can see, zero real room http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3777/4361/21942180004_large.jpg

I had enough about cutting a hole for a 6" sub, but the harmonics in that area probably suck and I hate to tear up that spot to much.

Also FWIW what does everyone think about just using a pioneer head unit to power my setup if I used a powered amp. I rather not fish better wires to the rear speakers in all honesty but the fronts could be done easily. I already have 4 boston acoustics whatevers (I yanked them outta junk car but they seem nice) and all powered by a pioneer HU thats a few years old-think 50w rms.

johnnyquad17
03-22-2012, 11:33 AM
I had a bazooka tube in my Tacoma and it worked well for me. As long as you are not expecting bass to rattle your windows it is a good cost effective option. Get the most powerful one they carry. best of luck!

chris p.
03-22-2012, 01:29 PM
i have two 8'' non powered bazookas pushed by a rockford/fosgate amp with a crossover.had them for at least 20 years and they still pound in my 84 1-ton chevy regular cab.i had 2 20'' in an enclosure but there is no comparison.they move a ton of air !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muddy400EX
03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by CJM
A good idea, but dang not to many places where I could make it fit. Stupid x-cab seat design, would have a HUGE space under them fold down seats if the seats didnt rest on a metal support. As you can see, zero real room http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3777/4361/21942180004_large.jpg

I had enough about cutting a hole for a 6" sub, but the harmonics in that area probably suck and I hate to tear up that spot to much.

Also FWIW what does everyone think about just using a pioneer head unit to power my setup if I used a powered amp. I rather not fish better wires to the rear speakers in all honesty but the fronts could be done easily. I already have 4 boston acoustics whatevers (I yanked them outta junk car but they seem nice) and all powered by a pioneer HU thats a few years old-think 50w rms.

wow that is a wierd design, ive got an ext. cab sierra,and ive got 2 12's under the backseat. you dont have room for crap.

what year is it? and is it a tacoma?

Kickstarts-suck
03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Where am I gonna fit a sub box in a extended cab pick up.

:confused:

Google extended cab subwoofer boxes.
You can fit a lot under an extended cab truck seat.
4 sa8s ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbIB5ng1FRo
Probably help if you posted what truck you have.

derekhonda
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm not understanding your seat design, do you not have room under your rear seat? Hell in a dodge I fit a 10" square sub facing out!, I did slightly modify the seat raising it up 2 inches though...

Anyways, about your problem, If you're just looking for 'noise', go for it. If you want some sound quality, better/louder bass, etc...you do get what you pay for in car audio....and there is a reason tubes are cheap!

CJM
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
The picture I posted is of my back seat. That carpeted area thats right next to the seats-it doesnt move. The seats fold down onto it. Theres no gap between the floor and seat.

ben300
03-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by CJM
The picture I posted is of my back seat. That carpeted area thats right next to the seats-it doesnt move. The seats fold down onto it. Theres no gap between the floor and seat.

raise them *****est up! get creative man. your a pretty smart dude, ive gathered that over the years. if i can fit two 12's comefortably in a regular cab 2000 s10, im sure with the help from some ppl on here, you can find someone way to put at least one 10 in your truck

i also agree with what KXRider in that you could try to use shallow mount subs....ive never used them, and have no experience with them, but they could help you conserve some space

Zakradu398
03-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Basstubes are a waste, along with prefab boxes and shallow mount subs. If anything ,id get a nice component set such as the morel maximos and an amp for them.

Tommy Warren
03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
I made a pair of 15" basstubes with earthquake subs for my boat back in the day....they sounded like chit....build a pair of bandpass boxes and they sounded amazing....for earthquakes:rolleyes:

CJM
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Im sure Ill figure something out. Honestly Im not into thumping, window shaking, mirror vibrating bass. It just needs a little bit in my case lol.

I might try to fit a 10 or a 12 sideways between the seat and the that metal part the seat rests maybe.

Tommy Warren
03-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Im sure Ill figure something out. Honestly Im not into thumping, window shaking, mirror vibrating bass. It just needs a little bit in my case lol.

I might try to fit a 10 or a 12 sideways between the seat and the that metal part the seat rests maybe.

why don't you get a good set of 6x9's then. if you have a 10 in a truck it will give you mirror shaking bass....if you don't want that then just get 6x9s

CJM
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
why don't you get a good set of 6x9's then. if you have a 10 in a truck it will give you mirror shaking bass....if you don't want that then just get 6x9s

Maybe, Ill have to work it out sooner or later. Got other stuff that needs to be done first too.Like actually installing a better head unit, one I got you make it to loud it pops the breaker on it.

CJM
03-26-2012, 03:58 PM
So what do you guys think about this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html?tp=114#details-tab

Its an infinity bass box with 10" sub in it. Its compact enough to make me happy its not gonna take up too much space and the price is right. Even better is that it has a built in amp as well.

KXRida
03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

two 10's in my truck shake the hell out of it.

bbender85
03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by CJM
So what do you guys think about this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108BASSLIN/Infinity-BassLink.html?tp=114#details-tab

Its an infinity bass box with 10" sub in it. Its compact enough to make me happy its not gonna take up too much space and the price is right. Even better is that it has a built in amp as well.

cousin-in-law has one in her jeep cherokee and it does real well. she likes the crossover frequency alot higher than i prefer personally, so it sounds muddy in hers (and the fact that its an SUV with all that cabin space), but i can hear a strong bottom end coming out of it too.

CJM
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
cousin-in-law has one in her jeep cherokee and it does real well. she likes the crossover frequency alot higher than i prefer personally, so it sounds muddy in hers (and the fact that its an SUV with all that cabin space), but i can hear a strong bottom end coming out of it too.

Good to know, Ive pretty much settled on that one.