PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on good gps device

quadfmx
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I just joined a MC club and they have a ton of land and I want to scout out some loops for practice , and so i dont get lost trying to make them, but they have a ridiculous amount of land so until u really know it well u need a gps to be safe,
If anyone here has raced mid south series I joined the club that hosts the maplesville race, there is some great riding there,
anyways its about 2-2.5 hours from the house and me and some friends has leased 120 acres alot closer to home and are starting a club and need the GPS to setup loops on it also b/c i know 120 acres isnt alot but it will be just for us to ride and I want to use the GPs to make the most out of what we have, so if you have one u like or dont like or know of a good one id very much appreciate all info given.

Also anyone in the central to north Alabama region we are looking for a few more members. PM me if interested.
It will be XC riding at first but we are going to build a MX and Endurocross type track on it as well,
and there will be another MX track open to members designed by Keith Little, its a privte track not open to public and the 120 acres is not open to public either members only
thx

CJM
03-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Garmin rino comes to mind, ive used them before and they work great. I never used one to map any trails like that tho. I also use a garmin gps for work daily and it works great as well.

honda400ex2003
03-21-2012, 06:56 PM
i like my dakota 20 from garmin; i use it to do tracks of riding exclusively. at times the smaller screen can be a bit tough but it is nice to have it compact when riding with it in your pocket or something. it also has different settings for if you are using it for recreation, geocaching, driving, or boating in case you want to use it for different things. I use mine for geocaching most of the summer.

i have a ram mount that goes on the sled handlebar for now, i might get one for the fourwheeler someday when i get a 4x4 but i know the trails well enough while riding the atvs not to need it. I use it on the sled when we back country ride mostly so that we know where we are at and how to get back if we get turned around. it comes in very handy for going back to places also because you can see the map to know which way to go without rerouting.

I use garmin base camp to view the maps i make and save all of the trails. i also have topo 100k loaded on it for the terrain and 99% of the roads around. it has most of the logging roads and everything so that helps alot. the garmin base camp works pretty well to mark way points and stuff also. once you get everything set up it is very easy to use, getting it all done the first time can be a bit tough though imo.

garmin is one of the best and will do everything you want it to. most of them nowadays will simply mark trails and stuff for you.

steve