PDA

View Full Version : interval running question.

buck440
03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
someone may know but probably not but i'm going to start interval running...sprint, jog, walk and repeat. does it matter the order you do it in such as walk, jog and sprint as oppose to sprint, jog, walk?

finsteratv
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Our interval training for track usually consists of a few given distances like 3 400's and 3 600's..We run eachone and you try to beat the time from before on whatever distance you're doing. But Before we have a warm up and cool down after which is slower ofcourse. In your case I dont think it would really matter.

buck440
03-21-2012, 09:19 AM
don't have a track near me. i was going to use telephone polls to use as markers. just going to start off easy like walk 1 poll, jog a 2, sprint 2 and repeat for a few miles. of cours increase distance between polls every now and then.

chronicsmoke
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
The way I've always done this on sports teams is walking for a bit (just brief breaks after long sprints), the bulk of the workout is running/jogging with short sprints in between.

example.. warm up.. walk one, run 3, all out sprint one, then run again for 3, sprint, maybe walk for one if you're getting too exhausted. Keep your heart rate up.

buck440
03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
alright i guess order doesn't matter as long as your heart rate is up most of the time. i'll run 3, sprint 1 then walk 1 and repeat for a few miles. going 1 way is downhill but back is uphill:) sound like it would be good enough to improve run times, endurance ans weight loss?

chronicsmoke
03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
For weight loss you NEED to keep your heart rate WAY up.. obviously your diet is even more important than your workout

trailrider894
03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
In basic, we never did intervals... they said that when you run, then slow down and start walking that its 10x harder to start running again at the same distances you could if you just ran it straight through!! So for a years I've fast walked to warm up then I start running, I typically run 5-6 miles a day, and take a 30 second break in the middle for water, etc.. then start running again. I usually fast walk the last 1/4-1/2 mile to cool down.. then do some push-ups to help loosen up. Just my .02!!

bbender85
03-22-2012, 02:08 PM
i have an interval running worksheet at home i can scan in. it goes on time instead of distance tho... seems like one of the programs is 2 min @ moderate, 1 min sprint, repeat. i just dug it out of the basement this week too.

buck440
03-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
i have an interval running worksheet at home i can scan in. it goes on time instead of distance tho... seems like one of the programs is 2 min @ moderate, 1 min sprint, repeat. i just dug it out of the basement this week too.

idk if you can post it or what but that would be helpful.

extremeblastr
03-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
In basic, we never did intervals... they said that when you run, then slow down and start walking that its 10x harder to start running again at the same distances you could if you just ran it straight through!! So for a years I've fast walked to warm up then I start running, I typically run 5-6 miles a day, and take a 30 second break in the middle for water, etc.. then start running again. I usually fast walk the last 1/4-1/2 mile to cool down.. then do some push-ups to help loosen up. Just my .02!!

i went through basic this past summer, they swear by 30/60s and 60/120s now to improve run times and endurance.

trailrider894
03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
i went through basic this past summer, they swear by 30/60s and 60/120s now to improve run times and endurance.

Yeah, since I got to my duty station, they all run intervals here, but I don't like doing that... I just feel like my distances are easier achieved while running continually... When I slow down for side cramps ( which I rarely get ) I just do the Airborne Shuffle... My buddy who went through basic at Ft. Benning said they ran intervals quite often, I went through OSUT at Ft. Lost in the woods and we never ran intervals EVER!!

buck440
03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
i get side cramps like a mofo. usualy after a mile i gor my right hand jammed in my right ribbs putting pressure on it to ease the pain. eating and being very well hydrated help alot but only soo mutch.

more than likely i'm going in as a private pile as mutch as i don't want to i probably will be a c class runner and the fattest/strongest dude there but i'll just deal with it.

it'll kinda suck since juniors will be there during the summer months but idk. maby it will be fun.

my running freaking sucks soo bad. i can hardly do .80 mile in 9 minutes lol. i do up my distances by .10 miles every other day though so who knows.

extremeblastr
03-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Yeah, since I got to my duty station, they all run intervals here, but I don't like doing that... I just feel like my distances are easier achieved while running continually... When I slow down for side cramps ( which I rarely get ) I just do the Airborne Shuffle... My buddy who went through basic at Ft. Benning said they ran intervals quite often, I went through OSUT at Ft. Lost in the woods and we never ran intervals EVER!!

did mine in alpha 3-10 at lost in the woods

extremeblastr
03-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by buck440
i get side cramps like a mofo. usualy after a mile i gor my right hand jammed in my right ribbs putting pressure on it to ease the pain. eating and being very well hydrated help alot but only soo mutch.

more than likely i'm going in as a private pile as mutch as i don't want to i probably will be a c class runner and the fattest/strongest dude there but i'll just deal with it.

it'll kinda suck since juniors will be there during the summer months but idk. maby it will be fun.

my running freaking sucks soo bad. i can hardly do .80 mile in 9 minutes lol. i do up my distances by .10 miles every other day though so who knows.

if your going to basic i promise you will be amazed at how things can change. once upon a time i was a damn good cross country runner and could knock 11:30 2 miles like it was my job. graduated highschool and let the beer and cigarettes catch up with me. within a month at basic i went from barely finishing standing up with an 18:10 back into the 14 minute area.

trailrider894
03-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
did mine in alpha 3-10 at lost in the woods

Strange, I don't hear much about Infantry, guys going to Ft. Lw... you are 11 bravo right??? When I went through they were mostly all 73D, 21B/C, and 31B/E along with some 88M's... most all of them doing OSUT, but you can't explain anything in the Army... The head boys do what they want!!

buck440
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Infantry is Ft. Benning. 14 weeks of osut...

well i'm home alone and was running on the treadmill doing .25 mile 10mph rest few minutes and repeat. at about .80 miles my body numbed up, lights got brighter and felt dizzy then i blacked out.

got back up and seen on the treadmill 4 minutes went by. so i tried to run again and felt the same way so i lied in bed about to passout again but didn't.

hydration wasn't a problem because i'm drinking water nonstop and pissing ever 15 minutes...at least 3 gallons a day spread out. am i breathing to fast or too slow?

ben300
04-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by buck440
Infantry is Ft. Benning. 14 weeks of osut...

well i'm home alone and was running on the treadmill doing .25 mile 10mph rest few minutes and repeat. at about .80 miles my body numbed up, lights got brighter and felt dizzy then i blacked out.

got back up and seen on the treadmill 4 minutes went by. so i tried to run again and felt the same way so i lied in bed about to passout again but didn't.

hydration wasn't a problem because i'm drinking water nonstop and pissing ever 15 minutes...at least 3 gallons a day spread out. am i breathing to fast or too slow?

you may be going to fast for yourself...if your 14 weeks out, you can build up to run 3 miles non stop in 14 weeks...if i was you, id try and run a at least 1 mile at a comfortable pace, without stopping, for this week....then each week out from now untill you leave, increase your distance by 20% each week.......you can also in a few weeks begain to do interval training...

...its tough to just start out doing sprints and what not, if you have no base built what so ever....sure you'll eventually get to where you need to go.....but you can achieve the same result by implimenting LSD (long slow duration) and then adding HIIT later in your training..

...from what you describe above, adn from what it sounds like to me...you are in pretty bad shape?...maybe?...

buck440
04-09-2012, 03:28 PM
not in the worst shape lol. 5' 8" 200lbs and dropping. little bit of muscle. 37" waist and 17" neck. i come from eating fast food everyday, no exercise and excessive call of duty to clean dieting, run a total of a few miles a day and still excessive call of duty.

yah i'm new to running...

on the 15th i got to do my month out pt test which involves a 8:30 mile. so i got 6 days. if i had to do a 11min mile i could but i usually do a 13-14 one.

it has been about 2 weeks since i ran so maby i should of just warmed up today? maby that's why?

Lquad71
04-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
For weight loss you NEED to keep your heart rate WAY up.. obviously your diet is even more important than your workout

Actually for weight management and to lose fat you want to stay at a lower heart rate than normal because your body is using almost all fat. once you go to higher heart rates your body stops using fat for energy and starts to use glucose as the primary fuel.

This is one of the many articles covering this and this whole site is actually very helpful
http://www.racerxvt.com/virtual_trainer/HR_Calculator.html