PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket shocks(tcs)

zzbudzz
03-04-2003, 12:02 AM
ok, i 'm going to get some front shocks really leaning toward the tcs triple rate w/rezzie's and houser +2 a arms.will i have a problem with my rear 400 shock ? i don't do big jumps i just want something better than stock stuff ,to make me faster in turns and whoops .if i get the zero pre load will the quad act wierd with the stock rear shock? somebody steer me in the right direction or give me a # to someone with good info! please:D

zzbudzz
03-04-2003, 12:04 AM
can some body post a pic of tcs shocks standard length and/or houser +2 arms

03-04-2003, 12:05 AM
i have pep fronts and stock rear. i dont have any problems

crap-banshee32
03-04-2003, 12:54 AM
shouldnt make a difference

d-14 rider 27
03-04-2003, 02:12 AM
it might feel a lil wierd with a zps front setup, and stock rear, but you'll be alright, just make sure you tell the shock builder that your runnin stock rear, they make them match

PreRunFun
03-04-2003, 03:52 AM
TCS is a great choice for your fronts. I'm not sure about running your stock rear with a zps system up front. You can also get your stock rear re valved and springed to match your fronts for around 350 or so. Call Allen at CT racing and talk to him. He is good friends with the TCS boys. He will give you some honest advice.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Don't run ZPS shocks with standards, when I was talking to Wayne over at PEP he said it was a very bad idea. Either go ZPS all around, or no ZPS at all.

Woz
03-04-2003, 02:16 PM
On the Z400/KXF400, the rear shock is a bigger problem than the fronts. (more performance can be gained in the rear than in the front.)

If you get all three shocks, you can get a complete set that should work well together. If you are only going to get fronts you need to have them set-up to work with the rear. that basically means it will be set-up to work similar to the stock fronts. This is still a good idea if you are going to use longer arms, because even if you get arms that will work with stock shocks, they were not designed to work with longer arms and will give you a poor ride.

ZPS/SSD type front shocks combined with your stock rear shock will substantially decrease the performance of your suspension over even the stock set-up.

Re-Valving the rear shock... It's still a stock shock. It can be turned to work a little better for your specific need, but aftermarket rear shocks often allow for more travel, and much more tuning adjustability. Don't be confused. A "re-valved" stock rear is still a stock rear. Even if the piston is changed, and the springs are different, you still will not get anywhere near the performance advantage of a good aftermarket rear shock.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
There are many front shocks available that will increase the front's performance. Increasing the front end, and not the rear will NOT result in an over-all performance gain. How the front and rear work together is more important than how "great" either end works on it's own.

If you want a wider front end, make sure the rear is as tuned to your weight and style as you can get it, then get fronts that are set up to work with a stock rear (and your new arms). I wouldn't spend much on these front shocks. It won't make too much differnce.

If you really want a pro-level competition suspension set-up, you should get all three shocks from the same company, and set up specifically for you and the chassis/component package that you have. Hopefully with someone that will work with you and help you tune them in once they're on the bike.

It takes a lot of work, but the difference between a truly good set-up ATV and a mix matched (poorly set-up) ATV with all expensive trick parts is amazing. A well set-up suspension package will handle so much better you will probably never go back.

R-Crazy
03-04-2003, 02:48 PM
isnt it true that if u get LT front, the rear wont be comforatable unless it is an LT too, or is it just the way each is valved

dave

zzbudzz
03-04-2003, 04:36 PM
damn, woz. now i feel like if don't get all 3 i'm wasting my money? i can't afford all three and a arms.and i don't wanna get front shocks valved for stock arms:( . should i get non, zps and +2 's and save for a rear shock later? i'm just a weekend racer that races for fun.i just want a better riding quad that will help my speed in the corners and doesn't beat me to death.