PDA

View Full Version : F150 differential question

honda98
03-20-2012, 07:37 PM
i was wondering how difficult it is to replace the differential. its an 03 f150 2wd v6 5 speed with a open differential. id like to replace it with a limited slip differential but wasnt sure how expensive or difficult it was. Any advice or info is apreciated.

CJM
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Its not something you will be able to do on your own. The gears need to be setup properly or they will basically break. A qualified shop needs to do it.

chucked
03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Its tough, it needs to be setup, ive done a few and I think only a few lasted lol

wilkin250r
03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Why do you want a limited slip? What type of terrain are you driving that you need it?

Differentials are no joke. They're fairly simple mechanisms, there's only a few components, but the setup needs to be really, really precise. You need the proper measuring equipment and know how to use it, and you would end up pulling the whole thing apart and re-installing it seven or eight times, each time making various adjustments less than the thickness of a hair. This is not an exaggeration.

Kickstarts-suck
03-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Find a complete axle with LS and bolt it up.

honda98
03-21-2012, 10:50 PM
where i live we get alot of snow and even when it was plowed it i still got stuck a couple times(its stone driveway and uphill) i was hoping i could replace the differential for a couple hundred bucks but im not spending much more than that and doesnt seem like its something ill be able to do myself.

CJM
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
LS wont help you in the snow all that much. You can make your truck act like it has a LS occasionally if you lock the parking brake slightly-both wheels will turn.

Honestly if it snows that much you either need to try to find better tires or buy a 4x4 truck.