PDA

View Full Version : molybenydum WTF

Castor-426ex
03-03-2003, 11:48 PM
whats this assembly lube i need in my manual it says to use it on some critical valvetrain parts...cam lobes or sumthin....well...what is everyone using?

also what gasket sealer should i use when i put the monster back together

QuadTrix6
03-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
whats this assembly lube i need in my manual it says to use it on some critical valvetrain parts...cam lobes or sumthin....well...what is everyone using?

also what gasket sealer should i use when i put the monster back together

lube ? monster ? :huh :confused: :huh

03-03-2003, 11:55 PM
you can just use regular motor oil on the cam lobes

Castor-426ex
03-03-2003, 11:55 PM
hey youre the one who turned this around lmao you know what i meant:D

03-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
lube ? monster ? :huh :confused: :huh

dont want to use the wrong lube on your monster...

Castor-426ex
03-03-2003, 11:57 PM
lmgdfao thats right

so i dont need to lube that moly grease anywhere like it says in the manual?

03-04-2003, 12:00 AM
one of my good friends is pro and did my entire engine. when he put it back together he took like a half a cup of oil and just poured it on the head ya know like over the cam and such

Dune Surfer
03-04-2003, 12:23 AM
You can buy assembly lube at your honda dealer for about $7.
I'm sure you can just use oil, I used assembly lube because it says to. I would follow the manual and not do it half arse. If it didn't need it why would they say to use it??????

nakomis0
03-04-2003, 12:25 AM
You can get thqat stuff at any autoparts store. It probably wont be called Moly oil. They ussually just call it 'assembly lube' tell em ifs for a cam and they will know what ya mean.

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
hey buddy how many disassembled pics you got of that sucka? lol

roostu
03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
You can buy assembly lube at your honda dealer for about $7.
I'm sure you can just use oil, I used assembly lube because it says to. I would follow the manual and not do it half arse. If it didn't need it why would they say to use it??????

I would use assembly lube if i was you. It just sticks to the cam better during break in. Just my 2 cents.

~Roost-U

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 12:30 AM
another ?

im not replacing my rockers with my hotcam stage 2 they feel really smooth...but i can see the contact marks...i mean my quad is 3 years old....but they should be ok right as long as they feel smooth...?

roostu
03-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Castor-400ex
another ?

im not replacing my rockers with my hotcam stage 2 they feel really smooth...but i can see the contact marks...i mean my quad is 3 years old....but they should be ok right as long as they feel smooth...?

You should be fine, as long as there are no pits.

~Roost-U

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 01:18 AM
nope no pits at all....hopefully everything goes well...ill take pics of reassembly

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 09:17 AM
i used oil, no lube here, make sure there is no MOLY in the lube you buy, it will mess up the clutch plates.

60 hours on mine with no probs.

DO NOT USE GASKET MAKER ANYWHERE ON YOUR QUAD< BUY GASKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy400
03-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Castor, I would definitely use a moly lube on the cam lobes, especially if the quad is going to be sitting a little bit before initial start-up. Think about it. You pour motor oil on the cam and then how long is it going to take for you to put the rockers on, valve cover and then get the quad back together far enough to start it up. Do you think the motor oil is going to just magically stick on the cam lobes and not run down into the crankcase? The small amount of moly grease you'll be using on the lobes will have little effect on the clutches, especially considering you'll be changing this break-in oil rather quickly anyway.

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 11:20 AM
That is why you pour it into the last valve cap you put on.

there is enough oil that will stay in the head and not drain out before yo start it. the head actually holds a good bit of oil up there.

JMO, thats how i did it and the cam and rockers still look new.

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 02:54 PM
ok so i dont use any gasket sealer what so ever?
and if i do use moly lube use it sparingly?

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 03:11 PM
you dont need to use any sealer, just prep all the gasket surfaces by cleaning but make sure you do not marr or damage the surface. then put on good gaskets and thats all you need.

if you use the lube try to use NON-MOLY lube and just use it on the cam lobes and rocker arms. IMO

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 03:16 PM
im not flaming at all but why use non moly if the manual says to use moly?

ok so i use no gasket sealer? not anywhere? I dont want a leak..lol

I do need to coat the cylinder with motor oil though right?

I think the manual is calling me to lube the wristpin.cam lobes and journals ect...

I just wanna get this right so any pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated

Dune Surfer
03-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Castor, Do what tha manual says and you can't go wrong. Who is right the people on this forum (mostly kids) or the pro's who wrote the manual. Hmm I wonder.

Guy400
03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Castor, use the moly grease that the manual calls for. All you must do is apply a thin layer of this grease. You don't have to dunk the cam in the tub so that it's 1/4" thick. Just put the moly on your finger and wipe it around the cam lobe.

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
cool i guess i can get this stuff at my honda dealer?

thnx for all the info

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Castor, Do what tha manual says and you can't go wrong. Who is right the people on this forum (mostly kids) or the pro's who wrote the manual. Hmm I wonder.

or maybe someone that builds them fairly often and HAS ONE AND DOES ALL THE WORK HIMSELF FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS???

The manual also says to change your oil every 100 hours but you dont do that do ya!

I have 60 hours on mine and it is apart right now getting the head ported. It looks like new, no pitting, no wear, no nuttin.

LIKE I said JMO(just my opinion) this is my 14th machine and I am 24, not a kid.

You want to coat the cylinder with oil along with the wristpin and anything that pretty much makes metal to metal contact. i dip all my bolts in oil before reassmbly also. and I retourque to factory specs.

I like to do a couple rotations of the motor before actually firing it up to make sure there is no clearance issues.

I am not pissed, but some of us do know what were talking about

Dune Surfer
03-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Take it easy, No flame intended. I have done it both ways also, but face it we are not certified mechanics. I respect your opinion I have read your other post. I'm sure it is fine without, I was stating the manual says to use it and they know more than you or I.

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 05:14 PM
so if i use a moly..what should i use brand wise..ive never used it before

i night just coat it all with gn4 honda oil and be done with it

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 05:19 PM
I understand where you are comin from but the manual isn't always right.

the manual calls for a new top end on my old 99 yz250 after 10 hours. then after installing it it says take it apart to check it out and rebuild it again??????????

i used to do rings every 25 and piston every 50. the bike ran better than new when i sold it 3 yrs later.

if you look at the post in the previous page look how much grease is on the cam. this is why i told him not to use it.

also you should never use gasket maker in place of gaskets.

also on the cam it says DO NOT USE MOLY LUBES FOR CAM BREAK-IN. so there are two contradictory statements.

I spoke with Tony from hotcam and he agreed about just using oil.

if your gonna let it sit for more than 3 weeks before stting it then yes i understand, but it will be fine for a day. the head does hold some oil in it, especially if you fill.

these are all just our opinions so no bigge:D :p

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 05:22 PM
castor, read our posts and make your own decision. your local dealer(it doesnt matter what brand) should have something for you.

i just used gn-4, you do what you think is best for your situation.

hope it works out

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 05:26 PM
ill prob just use oil
lol

but hey how long did it take to get your cylinder back from marcums?

YZROOSTINYA
03-04-2003, 05:33 PM
i took it to a local guy, 2 days

i had all the plastics and the head off in 2 hours the other week.

still waiting on my rear rebuild and head though top put it back together. i went with the xr head gasket this time

i stripped the quad to the frame and re greased all the linkages and such. put on the new front shocks and i am freaking out. i want my parts so i can ride this damn thing, i really am looking forward to my new suspension.

Jay300ex
03-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Interesting opinions guys, We just talked about assembly lube in my OPE class. I had never heard of it before but it does make sense where you guys are comming from. You put lube on your parts so that they are . . lubed when you are stsarting it up ( do you know how many times it will turn before it even starts? )

If you let your quad sit a week or so without touching it then you go to start it up, do you hear that slight knocking? Well thats because the engine oil has drained off the parts and it needs to be re circulated to the clearances and such.

Always use the specified gaskets ( in some exeptions ) I mean, dont fool around with engine sealant when you are talking ATVs or Dirtbikes. . . lawn mowers are different stories you know! If there are any cast iron parts in your engine, make sure there is a coat of oil on them before you let them sit ( usually after cleaning )
- I do this when I take engines apart, I find the parts I need to order, order them, and in the mean time I clean all the parts inside the engine with solvent, then with hot soapy water ( gets everything out ) then I oil everything with a rag then stick them in plastic baggies. Thats how the mechanics usually do it so, is it that hard?

Jay

Braff1
03-04-2003, 07:52 PM
I bought a tube for 5.00 of non-moly assembly lube at the auto zone here in town. It was big enough I could assemble 100 cam shafts with this tube.