03-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Reply from Hotcams:

Hi Craig,

We received your voice message about the situation on exriders.com. Since you
had given us a message on our machine here after hours I thought I would try
getting back to you via e-mail since you haven't returned our calls from
555-555-5555.

We are aware of the spline fitment problem at this time. The carrier that is
used to test fitment was a loose fit when we got it from the Honda Factory parts
inventory and the difference was enough that some carriers are able to slip fit
onto the cams while others fit perfectly. This particular carrier was .002" too
big in some cases. I know that doesn't sound like much but, it is a press fit
or interference fit. We are hand fitting EVERY camshaft in our inventory to
ensure proper fit, we have even recalled 8 cams from a new batch that went out
before we knew we had a problem with the carrier used for checking fitment, so
as to not take chances. We have also implemented the usage of a "spec"
measurement that we will use in the future for the carrier measurement, as they
are replaced frequently due to wear. This step will eliminate any future spline
fitment problems.

Thank you for your concern over our product. As always, we appreciate any
consumer input in helping develop our products to the highest of standards.

Tony Tice
(515) 402-8005 x104

Castor-426ex
03-03-2003, 11:42 PM
very cool...he took my stage one that i bought off here from "Freakystone" his brother actually...
the cam was brand new...in box with all documentation besides receipt...well i got down to the grit and it was time to put the flange on...but my flange went on by hand...so i emailed support at hotcams and Tony took my cam and upgraded me to a stage 2 cause im building a 416

i hope it all goes well..ill let ya know...

Mxbubs
03-04-2003, 04:12 PM
bump

Castor-426ex
03-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I think the flange has to have at least 400lbs psi to press on the spline..it may be 500...i know thats what it took to get the flange off the stocker

hotex
03-05-2003, 01:50 PM
A note from the owner of Hot Cams.

To TRX Riders

There seems to be a lot of questions concerning the loose spline fitment of the Hot Cams TRX camshaft. I would like to address some of these questions so that we can help the people affected. Firstly, I should introduce myself. My name is Curtis Leaverton and I own Hot Cams and Pivot Works. In producing any product, manufacturing errors do occur. What separates a good company from a poor company is how well they take care of their customers after the fact. I want to make it very clear that if you suspect that your cam has loose splines we will send you a new cam or check your current cam. You need to contact Tony Tice here at Hot Cams, 515-402-8005 ext 104. If Tony is not at his phone then leave your number and he WILL return your call. I also need to point out that only about 50 cams might have potential problems so the vast majority of customers will not have any issues.
Since it only takes about 30 ft/lbs of torque to spin a camshaft, the forces on the splines are quite small. This is why many cams only require two very small 6mm bolts to mount and support the sprocket. Simply stated there is not much load acting on a cam spline. In fact, we have not seen a loose spline ever fail, period. Our goal is to supply the customer with the best product possible. If you feel that you might have a problem then please call us we will take care of you – I promise. Thank you.

Sincerely
Curtis L. Leaverton

Mxbubs
03-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Excellent!

YZROOSTINYA
03-06-2003, 03:47 AM
I talked with Tony a few times before I decided on a cam, you can see how I felt about our discussion if you look in my sig!:D :D :D :devil