PDA

View Full Version : Is my cable stretched or plates going bad?

Nettles 400ex
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Hello, i recently noticed my clutch starting to give on my 400. If i grab the clutch in 1st gear it still moves a little bit. I replaced the cable about 4 months ago but i havent ridden it hard untill about a month ago. I'm not sure if its the whole clutch or my cable is stretched, i dont have time to replace it now and i also dont even have another cable yet. What im wondering is if its ok to drive and what you guys think it is. Let me know asap because i would like to go riding very soon. thanks

chevymanrick
03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Sounds like it'd not adjusted correctly, is there any slack in the cable?

Stickman400
03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Yea, deff. sounds like it needs adjusted.

russellsroost31
03-20-2012, 06:58 AM
u want only about 3 to 4mm of play in the cable

buck440
03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
on your clutch perch screw your clutch cable:) in some. sounds like it's out too far.

chevymanrick
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
There is a threaded sleeve just above your clutch cover, check that make sure its adjusted properly with only a few mm of play very minimal that should take care of it

Nettles 400ex
03-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the replys. I tried tightening it on the bars but it did nothing. My lever is very loose and grabs only when the clutch lever is fully in... Sigh, looks like i gotta rip down the case again and redo my clutch.. smh.

Stickman400
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM
You TIGHTENED it? Did you try LOOSENING it? Backing it out at the bars will take all of the play out of the lever. Taking it in at the bars with put more freeplay in it.

chevymanrick
03-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
You TIGHTENED it? Did you try LOOSENING it? Backing it out at the bars will take all of the play out of the lever. Taking it in at the bars with put more freeplay in it.
He has to much play in it now its still grabbing when he pulls the clutch therefore needing tightening not loosening.

chevymanrick
03-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Nettles 400ex
Hey guys, thanks for all the replys. I tried tightening it on the bars but it did nothing. My lever is very loose and grabs only when the clutch lever is fully in... Sigh, looks like i gotta rip down the case again and redo my clutch.. smh.
Hey man before you break the case open, check the cable above the clutch case if u just replaced the cable try tightening that cable there before u go through the trouble of taking off your case and the clutches are still good

Stickman400
03-22-2012, 09:24 AM
From the way I interpreted it he had too much play in the lever and was only grabbing when he had it all the way in. Which means he needs to back out the adjuster to take the freeplay out and make it disengage the clutch sooner. Idk, disregard that post I guess, and this one.

chevymanrick
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
From the way I interpreted it he had too much play in the lever and was only grabbing when he had it all the way in. Which means he needs to back out the adjuster to take the freeplay out and make it disengage the clutch sooner. Idk, disregard that post I guess, and this one.
Yea your eight I think I misread what u posted, sorry, but your right he needs to screw the adjuster out to tighten the slack in the cable so it will disengaged the clutch sooner