PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable for which years?

moshachusetts
03-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I bought a streamline clutch cable last year for my 2005 400ex but didn't try to install it until yesterday. No matter how much I adjusted it, it just wouldn't fully get tight. I compared lengths to the stock one and the cable itself was the same but the the sheathing on the new streamline one is shorter. Then I looked at the box and it said it was for years 99-04 and mine is an 05. I know I ordered the right one but the place I ordered it must have grabbed the wrong one. And since I ordered it over a year ago I don't think I can return it. I would have thought that the clutch cable would have been the same for all years. Does anyone one know if the cables are truly different from 04 to 05? Or does anyone have any Ideas on how to make this one worked?

Thanks

chevymanrick
03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure but I know plastics were changed in 05 and more important was the addition of reverse that year and some internals were changed on the motor.

CJM
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Im pretty sure they are all the same. Sounds like whats in the box isnt what it says it is.

Stickman400
03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable a while back to replace my stock clutch cable and the one I got said it was the right one, but it wasn't even close to being long enough to fit. I don't think they even test fitted their product on a quad, they just made the cable and started selling it. I bought a stock cable and it fits perfect. After that I don't buy anything other than stock cables.

Reece616
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I ordered a Motion Pro clutch cable a while back to replace my stock clutch cable and the one I got said it was the right one, but it wasn't even close to being long enough to fit. I don't think they even test fitted their product on a quad, they just made the cable and started selling it. I bought a stock cable and it fits perfect. After that I don't buy anything other than stock cables.

That's weird.
I went to order a clutch and throttle cable from my dealer when I was doing my overhaul and I told him about my taller bar setup and said I should go with a motion pro cuz they're a bit longer.
I got both, and they're both plenty long.
Maybe they messed up your order or something? I have an 06 btw.

Stickman400
03-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Yea, that's what I'm thinking. i have a +1 stem and wider/taller bars and the motion pro wouldn't even come close, the stock one fits, but just barely. Idk, I may try a +1 motion pro sometime if I ever feel like ordering it.