PDA

View Full Version : Gt thunder xc link

moshachusetts
03-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Does anyone out there NOT like their gt thunder xc link? I hate the way I bottom out so much more than the stock one and how when I nail the throttle the rearend compresses. Just wondering if I'm the only one that doesn't like it. I have them on both my 400ex and 450r and get the same results on both of them.

CJM
03-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Did you have the shock resprung and revalved when you did it?

I think your shock is too soft or improperly setup if anything, it should compress a bit when you launch-but not bottom out so easy.

moshachusetts
03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Did you have the shock resprung and revalved when you did it?

I think your shock is too soft or improperly setup if anything, it should compress a bit when you launch-but not bottom out so easy.

Yes I did, first he screwed up and put a spring in for a 130 lb rider even though I told him I'm 180 lbs. And we went over all the measurements together on the phone so it's setup right. Still seems too soft and low though

400man
03-18-2012, 09:06 AM
well, thats basically what its designed to do, lower your ride height and make the rear end feel more soft and plush. yea with mine I bottom out fairly often when I ride really hard through rough sections in the trails, and I have even had my rear shock completely redone by JET suspension. that helped alot with the bottoming but it still feels soft and plush. but if you have good skidplate protection on the frame and swingarm, you shouldnt have nothing to worry about.

Personally I love having my bike setup kinda low and soft feeling. to me it makes it so much more stable when I ride through the trails and so much better on hill climbs, where I can just set my *** on the back of the seat and just let er' eat and not have to worry about wheelying up the hill with how it just likes to squat down.

Id say just sell the link if you dont like it and go back to the stock one and find a good aftermarket rear shock and have it rebuilt for you. in the end it probably wont set as low as with the GTThunder link but should still work really good.

moshachusetts
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Hill climbs are one of the reasons I don't link the link. I always feel like I'm going to flip over, even though I don't flip, just feels odd. It certainly has taken the bucking Out of the rear end when going through whoops sections. It just feels really odd to keep bottoming out. I keep trashing skid plates, either bashing the hell out if them and breaking the bolts off an losing plates. Where I ride it's really rocky. I have the stock link and plan on putting it back on. I was just curious to see if anyone else felt the same way as I do. Seems like most people love them, guess I'm just used to a stiffer rear end

xcracer416
03-18-2012, 09:27 AM
thats laz's signature. he had to redo mine 4 times before he got it right. I weight 165lbs, and before it was all said and done my final valveing and spring weight was for 240lbs rider. he said he never had this issue before.

with that said, derisi done my latest setup and with all my gear i weigh 190 lbs. he had the setup and spring weight setup perfect.

i will never have gt thunder get my money again.

not bashing your setup, but im sure he dosent have it setup right for you. your measurements might be correct, but its the ride you cant measure. to soft is his way of setup.

HondaRacing83
03-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by moshachusetts
Hill climbs are one of the reasons I don't link the link. I always feel like I'm going to flip over, even though I don't flip, just feels odd. It certainly has taken the bucking Out of the rear end when going through whoops sections. It just feels really odd to keep bottoming out. I keep trashing skid plates, either bashing the hell out if them and breaking the bolts off an losing plates. Where I ride it's really rocky. I have the stock link and plan on putting it back on. I was just curious to see if anyone else felt the same way as I do. Seems like most people love them, guess I'm just used to a stiffer rear end Have your shock rebuilt stiffer.. Try them poly skids to. I'm actually not running any skids right now, which is a bad idea for me riding hard woods. But I plan to pick up either some of those poly skids or some prm ones. My DG performance series chassis skid rattled and vibrated like freaking crazy even before i put my motoworks on.

moshachusetts
03-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, he wasn't too easy to deal with. He has the holier than tho attitude. Kept telling me he couldnt be wrong even though when I took the spring off and read him the numbers, then he told me to send it back and he'd put the right spring in. And he wouldn't pay for me to ship it back. Plus the poly plate and rotor guards I bought I destroyed in one ride. I will probably try derisi, sounds like his customer service is much better than gtt.

400man
03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Ive never dealt with them personally, but my brother sent his banshee shocks to GT thunder for a complete overhaul and they seem to work really good. his banshee is setup for the woods with works dual rate front shocks and stock rear shock with -2 swingarm. I rode it through the woods and it feels alot better than before. one of the main things I noticed is that on the rear shock you can really feel a difference when you adjust the compression and rebound dampening, before you couldnt get much change from it going either all soft or hard on the adjustments.

xcracer416
03-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by moshachusetts
Yeah, he wasn't too easy to deal with. He has the holier than tho attitude. Kept telling me he couldnt be wrong even though when I took the spring off and read him the numbers, then he told me to send it back and he'd put the right spring in. And he wouldn't pay for me to ship it back. Plus the poly plate and rotor guards I bought I destroyed in one ride. I will probably try derisi, sounds like his customer service is much better than gtt.

thats his way of customer service, santo derisi will guarantee his shocks setup 100%, he builds your shocks. one phone call to him will make you see the difference in customer service.

moshachusetts
03-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by xcracer416
thats his way of customer service, santo derisi will guarantee his shocks setup 100%, he builds your shocks. one phone call to him will make you see the difference in customer service.

That's what I've been hearing. Sounds derisi takes care off his customers. Thats the way it should be