PDA

View Full Version : fuel

atver13
03-17-2012, 05:54 PM
what octane would you guys run with 10.8 to1 compression

dxcody
03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I would personally run 93...

But you could run 87 if you wanted i guess.

chevymanrick
03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I agree ^^ I don't run anything less than 93 and my motor is stock internally.

Thumpin440ex
03-19-2012, 09:08 AM
93 for sure. I even mix a touch of cam 2 in some times.

John

CJM
03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
93 or higher, lower octanes for some reason tend to have more ethanol in them. I will also only use gas from a brand name station, the cheapie stations sometimes have water in there tanks-your car will run it-the quad will not.

TheAwesomehonda
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that the 400ex (and other quads) shouldn't have any ethanol. Thats why i have to travel a few extra miles to get my gas.

CJM
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that the 400ex (and other quads) shouldn't have any ethanol. Thats why i have to travel a few extra miles to get my gas.

Nothing should have ethanol imho, but where I live unless you buy race gas or 100 octane from sunoco (nowhere near me) everything has up to 10% in it. In some cases you can successfully jet your carb to run on e10 or e15, but I dont like it.

Ethanol is a giant scam in reality, I wont explain why as it would take to long. Research it a bit and you will find out tho.

TheAwesomehonda
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Nothing should have ethanol imho, but where I live unless you buy race gas or 100 octane from sunoco (nowhere near me) everything has up to 10% in it. In some cases you can successfully jet your carb to run on e10 or e15, but I dont like it.

Ethanol is a giant scam in reality, I wont explain why as it would take to long. Research it a bit and you will find out tho. We have a few staitions that don't have 10% ethanol but not many.

400exshop
03-19-2012, 12:02 PM
I run Q16 in all my bike's and it makes more hp with the Q16 then any other fuel we have ran.

Thumpin440ex
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Ethanol is a giant scam in reality, I wont explain why as it would take to long. Research it a bit and you will find out tho.

Sure is, in quick term, you get the ethy in your gas because it is said to burn cleaner, but inturn you mileage goes to ****, you burn alot more of it. :(

John

powerbomb400
03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Alcohol burns faster the gas does. Do y'all have any places that sells dirt track parts or does business with the dirt track folks. That's where I get mine. I looked up the price of Q16 and its 15 dollars a gallon. I get my leaded 110 for 7 dollars a gallon. Not sure who makes it but its purple. Sure does smell good. LOL

400exshop
03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Q16 smells good in the can or in the bike. And no i dont snif gas.... lol Q16 runs me $75.00 for 5 gal.

And for what we do its well worth it. : ) = HP

Wheelie
03-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Ethanol won't hurt anything. I've been running about 70% Ethanol for over 3 years without a lick of trouble.

atver13
03-19-2012, 06:57 PM
you must not let yours sit for very long

powerbomb400
03-19-2012, 07:00 PM
The major thing about ethanol is it attracts moisture and is hard on some o-rings. On a regular size gas tank you should get 60 to 75 using regular gas I don't think you will get the same mileage running alcohol. For making horsepower its great. That's why they run it drag racing.

Wheelie
03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Drag racers use Methanol, not Ethanol. Two very different fuels.

I just let my quad sit for 6 months with fuel in it. It's sit every winter without any additives. I do this every winter as an experiment, every year the results are the same. Zero problems.

fearlessfred
03-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Drag racers use Methanol, not Ethanol. Two very different fuels.

I just let my quad sit for 6 months with fuel in it. It's sit every winter without any additives. I do this every winter as an experiment, every year the results are the same. Zero problems. do you do this with the fuel shut off and the bowl ran dry. your jets are big enough,i dont think they could ever get plugged

Wheelie
03-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Fuel shut off, float bowl and fuel line is left full. Every time I park my quad, I shut it off, wait about 30 seconds and then shut the fuel off.

fearlessfred
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Alcohol burns faster the gas does. Do y'all have any places that sells dirt track parts or does business with the dirt track folks. That's where I get mine. I looked up the price of Q16 and its 15 dollars a gallon. I get my leaded 110 for 7 dollars a gallon. Not sure who makes it but its purple. Sure does smell good. LOL I was wondering why you stated that aclohol burns faster than gas, because it actualy burns slower and makes the motor run cooler than gas

Wheelie
03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Ethanol and Methanol do burn faster than gas. They do have great cooling properties though.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/Theyak777/ethanol-gasflamespeed.jpg

Wheelie
03-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
do you do this with the fuel shut off and the bowl ran dry. your jets are big enough,i dont think they could ever get plugged

Why the statement about jets getting plugged? Ethanol is a great cleaner, it doesn't build gum. Gasoline builds gunk, not ethanol, ethanol cleans the gunk.

fearlessfred
03-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Why the statement about jets getting plugged? Ethanol is a great cleaner, it doesn't build gum. Gasoline builds gunk, not ethanol, ethanol cleans the gunk. if it burns faster than how do you account for the higher octane rating that ethanol has. the higher octane the slower the burn. no argument on it be cleaner .it seems to me that it is the water that it attracts, that causes the white corrosion. I dont know that for sure and my experience is only with the 10 percent that we have in the winter. im not againt the use of ethanal as a fuel and appreciate all your efforts. the things i have allways thought to be true of alcohol are
higher octane therfor slower burn
makes the motor run cool by absorbing heat thru evaporation,not sure if the flame is hotter
runs cleaner and keeps the internals cleaner
you can advance the timing and raise the compression,because it is slower burning and cooler.I dont understand how it can burn faster and have a higher octane please help me understand

Wheelie
03-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Octane does not determine burn rate, it only specifies a fuels resistance to self ignite--that's it.

The white corrosion has absolutely nothing to do with the Ethanol. Believe it or not it's copper that binds with the gasoline during refining, etc.

fearlessfred
03-20-2012, 09:11 PM
well it looks like i have been misinformed my whole life. i have read many times and places that higher caused a slower burn, and after searching for what you have said,i have found a couple of places that agree wjth what you have said, do you have any links on the subject

powerbomb400
03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
That's why they add lead to race gas. Its helps bring the octane up.

D3structive
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by CJM

Ethanol......produces less power and worse gas mileage for a higher price...any takers?

powerbomb400
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
The farmers like it. They get a higher price for corn.

TheAwesomehonda
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
The farmers like it. They get a higher price for corn. Thats very true. I'm a farmer and i know those corn prices haven't been good for the most part but as the corn and other crop prices go up the ferilizer and fuel prices go up.

400exjoker
03-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Thats very true. I'm a farmer and i know those corn prices haven't been good for the most part but as the corn and other crop prices go up the ferilizer and fuel prices go up. aint that the truth that's why we stick to our trees mainly walnuts, and they are lighter on the wallet than some of the other crops, plus last year we got like $1.50 a pound

TheAwesomehonda
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exjoker
aint that the truth that's why we stick to our trees mainly walnuts, and they are lighter on the wallet than some of the other crops, plus last year we got like $1.50 a pound Wait your a walnut farmer?? SWEET so how do you plant and harvest that? all by hand?

400exjoker
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Wait your a walnut farmer?? SWEET so how do you plant and harvest that? all by hand?

lmao!! no not by hand most everyone gets saplings and has the mexicans dig the holes for them... then it takes a good 3-4 years to get a good harvest but after that u dont have to plant for a while.. our trees are like 11-15 years but to harvest you again (lol theres a trend here) get the mexicans to get in the shakers and shake the walnuts out then go around with a sweeper and get them lined up and then we got another sweeper that sucks them up into a trailer all done by mexicans

powerbomb400
03-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I watch US Farm report alot early in the morning before we go riding. Get up at 4:30am to go and also get up thru the week for work. Alot of good info on there. As long as they keep Crude Oil on the Commodity Market fuel prices will remain high. What gets me is that race fuel prices have stayed steady. Super unleaded no ethanol is close to 5.00 dollars and gallon and 110 leaded is 7.00 dollars a gallon.

TheAwesomehonda
03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by 400exjoker
lmao!! no not by hand most everyone gets saplings and has the mexicans dig the holes for them... then it takes a good 3-4 years to get a good harvest but after that u dont have to plant for a while.. our trees are like 11-15 years but to harvest you again (lol theres a trend here) get the mexicans to get in the shakers and shake the walnuts out then go around with a sweeper and get them lined up and then we got another sweeper that sucks them up into a trailer all done by mexicans HAHA its got to suck for the mexicans... jk but we do all corn, hay, soy beans, wheat and **** so ez work and no mexicans.

Wheelie
03-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by D3structive
Ethanol......produces less power and worse gas mileage for a higher price...any takers?

You are half correct. Ethanol produces more power than gasoline, 5-12% more in fact.

Fuel mileage does go down 15-30% though.

In my area E-85 is about .70 cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline, 3.25 a gallon. It's tough to beat 105 octane pump fuel I can buy 24-7-365.

CJM
03-21-2012, 07:38 PM
^ Thats if your vehicle is designed to use it properly. My old truck isnt and suffers greatly mpg wise from even just E10 and E15.

Wheelie
03-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Richen the mixture a bit and that old truck would be perfectly happy with E10/E15.

CJM
03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Richen the mixture a bit and that old truck would be perfectly happy with E10/E15.

Pretty sure its not old enough to do that easily lol, still EFI but its a 16 year old toyota truck.

Now an old ford or chevy with a carb, that can be done.

crownandmonster
03-22-2012, 05:04 AM
You are half correct. Ethanol produces more power than gasoline, 5-12% more in fact.

Fuel mileage does go down 15-30% though.

In my area E-85 is about .70 cents a gallon cheaper than gasoline, 3.25 a gallon. It's tough to beat 105 octane pump fuel I can buy 24-7-365.

Bingo..I've got a newer Silverado with the flex fuel 5.3l. Its rated at 320 HP on good ole gasoline and 335 on e85. MPG does drop from an average in town of 17 to about 12-13.

Wheelie
03-22-2012, 07:33 PM
My Ranger is rated 9hp and 12ft-lbs higher on E-85 than gasoline. In my case fuel mileage is only about 15% worse on the highway with E-85. 19-20mpg hwy E-85 and 23-34 hwy gasoline.

400exjoker
03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
HAHA its got to suck for the mexicans... jk but we do all corn, hay, soy beans, wheat and **** so ez work and no mexicans.

my neighbor does wheat/corn and hes got them mexicans in his equiptment doing that to hell some of them work for him all year round