PDA

View Full Version : Some cylinder and bottom end questions

quad janern
03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Hello
I was wondering if there where any pros/cons about coating a steel sleeve with Nikasil.
Usually you use Aluminium sleeves but i see that you can Nikasil steel sleeves too.

Would my stock 1986 bottom end hold up if i got a ESR 330cc bolt on cylinder for it?
Or should i buy a stronger crank/rod ?

Thanks
Jan

Grande Huevos
03-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes you will be fine with the 330 lots of guys run them including me. The stock crank if in good condition is better then any off the aftermarket ones out there. As for the nikasil ive never had one but from my understanding you dont have to have your cylinder bored out to the next piston size when you go to replace it unless somthing goes horribly wrong.

deathman53
03-17-2012, 06:44 PM
a few things about the bolt-on esr 330. Do you have a long rod??? did you know that they is only 2 over-bores and re-sleeves are alot more money? Next, how they do it, the cylinder is not supported any way by the cases, they tend to break sleeves more often. Most cylinders go into the cases, bolt-on 330, rests in a spacer plate and has a really short sleeve and doesn't go into the cases. I would look elsewhere for a cylinder, get a 310(really 293) and then sent it out for GOOD porting. Esr does very cookie cutter porting.

Blue-By-You
03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a couple friends with the esr 330 and they are very nice and have had 0 problems with them over the last couple years. I would send it to sombody els to do porting if your wanting all you can get from it because esr port work is good but minimal. I dont know how often deathman rides but unless you ride few hrs every day out the week 3 pistons should last a while especially if you take care of your motor and do all the maintenance often. Also i would take the 330 over the 310 in a heartbeat! and its only an extra $100 kind of a no brainer if you ask me

DnB_racing
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Blue-By-You
I have a couple friends with the esr 330 and they are very nice and have had 0 problems with them over the last couple years. I would send it to sombody els to do porting if your wanting all you can get from it because esr port work is good but minimal. I dont know how often deathman rides but unless you ride few hrs every day out the week 3 pistons should last a while especially if you take care of your motor and do all the maintenance often. Also i would take the 330 over the 310 in a heartbeat! and its only an extra $100 kind of a no brainer if you ask me i agree with having it ported by someone else,

but the bolt on 330, is something I would stay away from, im looking into the different options now and Ill be boring my cases to give me more options, im still not sure what size I will be getting but it wont be a 330 bolt on with short sleeve, just for the fact Ive seen more failures with that type over any other

Ruf Racing
03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I have a 330 non-bolt on from ESR, with Neil Pritchard's porting (C-Leigh Racing). Couldn't be happier. The torque and acceleration this engine has, is awesome! Do it! You'll be glad you did. :D

machwon
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
I just did a nicasil coating on a cast iron sleeve stock R cylinder. It should be good for a hp, maybe 2 due to reduced friction. I should have a dyno run to post in a couple weeks.

slainwarrior
03-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by machwon
I just did a nicasil coating on a cast iron sleeve stock R cylinder. It should be good for a hp, maybe 2 due to reduced friction. I should have a dyno run to post in a couple weeks.

if you dont mind me asking where did you have the plating done and how much did it run you.. i have a ported stock cylinder thats on its last bore that id like to get done

machwon
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by slainwarrior
if you dont mind me asking where did you have the plating done and how much did it run you.. i have a ported stock cylinder thats on its last bore that id like to get done

I use US Chrome, they charge $300 to bore and plate a cast iron liner. You will need it bored to accomodate the coating thickness, and a new piston to match it with. I can help you out if you are interested just pm me. Otherwise Millenium Technologies is another company that can do the same.

Motofool250r
03-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by machwon
I use US Chrome, they charge $300 to bore and plate a cast iron liner. You will need it bored to accomodate the coating thickness, and a new piston to match it with. I can help you out if you are interested just pm me. Otherwise Millenium Technologies is another company that can do the same.

have you done this with a ProX cylinder, i inquired and was told that they dont hold up to the acid bath when you try to plate the cast iron liner.

machwon
03-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Motofool250r
have you done this with a ProX cylinder, i inquired and was told that they dont hold up to the acid bath when you try to plate the cast iron liner.

I have not personally done a pro-x but know that it has been done by another shop I deal with. If your cylinder is in good shape I would not be concerned. The only issue I have seen with the pro-x cylinders is the cast iron sleeve breaking around the thin aluminum part of the water jacket. Then the o-rings tend to burn out fast. They used to make copper orings to solve the problem, but the person who used to produce them has since quit.

quad janern
03-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I took my cylinder off today just to see if my cases was bored out.
This is how it looked like:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/jan-myers/IMG_0687.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/jan-myers/IMG_0685.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/jan-myers/IMG_0683.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/jan-myers/IMG_0682.jpg

Looks like these cases never have been bored.

quad janern
03-25-2012, 04:38 AM
Am i right that the cases have not been bored?

I thought my engine had a stock crank in it but i was wrong. It says hot rods on the rod so i quess its the hot rods crank.
Would that crank hold up if i got the 330cc bolt on cylinder?(if its in a good condition) ?

Motofool250r
03-25-2012, 10:27 AM
it depends on how old the hot rods crank is honestly. some of them had issues with the tins coming off. the newer ones are okay. I would reccomend sending it to one of the 250r guru's and having them check it out before you have a bucket of bustd cases like me.

to me i dont see any boring of the cases or any epoxy work there.

KM250R-BDTM
03-25-2012, 02:30 PM
No, those cases have not been bored, they are stock OEM. And Yes, you can Nikasil Plate any of the Steel Sleeves, all the current Steel Sleeves and 99% of those ever made for the ProX and other aftermarket cylinders came from LA Sleeve, the same Steel or Iron used on all of them.

Hard Chrome is an excellent option, one option that is better than Nikasil. The main reason you don't see Hard Chrome on Steel, Iron or Aluminum cylinders is the cost and the enviromental issues associated with Chromium Plating.

BDTM